“I was impressed by how much I got for what I payed for.”

Highland Gardens Hotel
Ranked #213 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles
“I was impressed by how much I got for what I payed for.”
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Over all, I was very happy with what I got for the price I payed. But that doesn't mean I was impressed with the hotel itself. There are difinitely much better nicer hotels.

My boyfriend and I got a 2 bed with a kitchen because that's all that was available when we tried to book last minute. So it was over our budget, but not too much over. And it was worth it since we were able to save money and cook some of our own meals in the kitchen.

The kitchen actually wasn't too great. It had a handful of mismatching silverwear, two small pots, a few plates, and a few cups. I was dissapointed they didn't have a pan. They also didn't have a dishwasher, or even anything to wash the dishes with! I figured that room service might take care of that, but they didn't. So we had to get our own sponge and dish soap.

The beds weren't very comfortable. My boyfriend had back pain every morning when he woke up.

The rooms were pretty clean, but what we found in the bathroom was disgusting. It was this jumble of.... what looked to be black larva! I'm not really sure what it was, but it was wiggling around and it was gross. There were multiple of them. We just washed it down the drain.

The room had a TV with a lot of channels, so that was nice for when we just wanted to wind down and relax. They had a pool, which was great because it was scorching hot when we went in August. However, the pool was extremely chlorinated. Even worse than a water park!

The location was fabulous. We would walk just a little bit and right there was Hollywood/Highland. They had a Metro Station close by as well, so we could get around very easily.

In a nut shell, our trip was great and the hotel wasn't too much of a problem. If we had more money we could have gotten a nicer hotel, so we knew what we were getting ourselves into. Get this hotel if you're looking for a great location and a cheap price. Don't get it if you have more money to spend and you want something more upscale.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Celeste C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oslo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for three nights, and i wish we didnt!
The reception area is quite modern and clean, but thats it! Our room was old and not the cleanest ive seen, but it was ok. The room also smelled like propane gas, because of the stove in the kitchen. This was very unconfortable as we had to sleep there. We had the doors open when we were in the room, even at night, but it didnt get any better. The porch door was big, but we had to close it when we went outside because there was no lock on the screen door.

The reseption told me that there were no wifi in the rooms, only in the reception, but i logged on from my room anyways.
The pool was dirty and there were very few seats around.
The breakfast REALLY dissapointed me. Coffee and a danish is NOT breakfast!

But even though this hotel has A LOT to learn and improve, they have a good location not far from the Hollywood Bouleward. They also have a garage underneath the hotel.

I wont recommend to stay here unless its an emergency...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ER2012

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Aberdeen, Maryland
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for two days. The pictures on the website are very deceiving. To arrive at the hotel one would think it is a very nice place. Once in the rooms a whole different story. Dated bathrooms, cracks in walls, furniture with cigarette burns, bedding disgusting and lighting in the parking area very unsafe. Traveled from West to East Coast by far worst hotel ever.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Letitia W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night in LA as part of a 2000mile trip through California and this was the worst place we stayed- and we stayed in some very cheap places

When you first walk into the hotel, the reception makes you think this hotel is something special - very clean, modern, smart appearance - the price is pretty good for LA so yout think you are getting a good deal, But the rooms are nothing like this. They are very old and could do with being updated - even a clean.

You get breakfast, but this is basically coffee/juice and a muffin. Its pretty poor.

There is Wi Fi in the hotel, but only in the reception. If you want it in your room you have to pay.

The room felt very old, dirty and didnt feel welcoming at all. Our TV didnt even work. In the bathroom it felt as if the plumber was paid by how much sealant he used as it was everywhere.

The positives are the location (very close to the strip) and parking is available at no extra cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrFreeperson
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This isn't the first time I have stayed here, and it won't be my last. For last minute trips to LA/Hollywood, this hotel is a fair price in a great location.

It did lack in cleaning and could use a modern facelift. I'm sure this will come on time.

If you're on a tight budget and still want to be in the heart of Hollywood, consider this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Uddevalla, Sweden
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here for 4 days recently and it wasnt a pleasant stay.
Let me tell you, I've stayed at several hotels in the area around Hollywood blvd, including, Orchid suites, liberty hotel, Best western hollywood plaza and The Magic Castle Hotel.
Highland gardens is by far the worst hotel I've stayed at.
To start of, the staff are rude, they treat you like you are a problem, not someone that pays to stay at the hotel. You can pass the lobby with them sitting on their asses doing nothing without getting as much as a "Hi".
To the rooms, its dirty and the walls and carpets are stained pretty bad.
The bed had burn marks on it..
I could continue for a while, but you get the idea.

Im not coming back, thats for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mikael J
London
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Very bad rooms. Dirty and broken furniture. Carpets were dirty and the beds felt like it had bugs. The hotel is on a main road which gets noisy at night. The air-conditioning unit was very old. Had homeless people sitting around all day on the other side of the road. Apart from the location, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. Breakfast did not have much choice and only had three tables, so most people took their food back to their rooms. I got the 'Janice Joplin' room which we didn't realise until we left and the kids researched the writings on the wall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family