“Not fancy, but a fine place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
Orbit Hotel and Hostel
Austin, TX
“Not fancy, but a fine place to stay”
Reviewed October 17, 2005

Understand going in...this is a HOSTEL not a HOTEL. This is a place for young travelers to hang there hat. Having said that, I was very pleased with my stay and I would stay again. (Book early for a single room) I am a young, attractive woman and I felt perfectly safe in my single room and I am reasonably paranoid about the boogie man getting me. Don't know about the shared room situation.

The neighborhood is safe and clean (by LA standards) within walking distance of the Farmer's Market. As far as the traffic noise, yep, there is some, it's on Melrose. Bring earplugs if you are sensitive. My room was clean with a funky decor.

I have stayed at the other places in the neighborhood and this is the best deal going. If you are extra nervous about your personal security, I recommend the Farmer's Daughter up the way. It is a gated hotel and very nice. It is about $100+ more a night. For my money, stay at the Orbit

• Stayed January 2004, traveled on business
3 Thank slinkylink

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Me and my sister loved the orbit... super clean, friendly, funky decor, great location. there was a bit of confusion, i'd been quoted a different price for our private room when i made the booking, but mohammed conferred with the manager and was able to give us the price i'd been quoted. everyone was very helpful. super convenient to cbs studios and the shops on melrose, and we took buses everywhere else with ease. i'd stay at the orbit again in a heartbeat.

Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
toronto
Reviewed May 28, 2005

I found this place to be a very good deal, at least for the private room. It was good looking and I found the website's pics to be almost dead on for once.

My room looked straight out of an Ikea catalouge which is somewhat generic but good in budget digs. Big comfy bed and even bunk beds if I wanted to squeeze others in there. The TV in my room worked and there was big screens downstairs if you care. There were also pool tables and an outdoor patio. To be honest I didn't spend too much time in there, though.

The front desk staff were efficient but could have been friendlier in the fake American way or even just the excited for you the traveller sort of way, but they weren't offensive or anything. Boogie, the events organizer, was cool and he convinced me to take the tour of the city which I recommend especially if you don't rent a car.

Rent a car. when you hear that you need a car in LA you hear the truth. And bring earplugs because street traffic is loud. I didn't eat at the kitchen and the BBQ on sunday only offered hamburgers which is no good to me, but fine. The people seemed 'clique-ish' but I did manange to meet some cool folks.

All in all, at least from a private room standpoint, this place is definitely not a dump (I have no point of reference for that critique), it offers good activities and is generally but not completely friendly. If you're alone you might not meet up with people unless you take part in organized activities, though. But pairs, triplets, etc., would have a ball. Great location and price in the end.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank orangeman
beauport quebec
Reviewed May 19, 2005

Hey!!!
The orbit hotel is the best if you want to know L.A. more!!!
WEll, the first time that i arrived there, i use to feel like home. NIce people at the reception (speaking french!! oh my god, its good to ear people speaking french in LA!!) Mohammed, had given me my private room. I've stayed there for 10 days. My room was PERFECT for the price that i've paied (50$ a night, for a private, its affordable!!). It was like a 100$ room per night: king bed, tv satellite, a sofa.... the big deal!!! And very clean!
The staff are so friendly. One named Ketonna, introduced me to a lot of people... Because when you travel alone, you are shy tyo talk to people.... Even more when all people talk english besides me who talk french! And i doidnt stay alone for all my travel long!!! Theres a party like every night. They place sheets all over the hostel to make us know what is ahappening this night. It comes from billard tournament, to barbecues, watching a football game, free all you can drink and eat... And theres also a lot of activities that you can put your name on the board, from day to night. They offer LA city tour, universal studios, dysneyland... And by night, if you are 21 and up, they pick you in front of the hotel and take you out to sunset boulevard for the nightlife.,.. You can go to the Roxy, the viper room... anything that you want... We can come backl by taxi or by feet (almost 25 minutes!)
In the orbit, theres 3 different rooms where you can just relax or make some friends. There a common place to watch TV, a billard room, where you can eat and drink, and the after hour room, where you can go after midnight to smoke or just chat with other people...
When you check in, the reception provides you a sheet with all directions and busses to take to go to main attractions in town. THey also give youn a map.
ONe day, I was so sad because all the people that i knew left this day, so i talked to Boogie, the guy who is in charge to book all the activities, and decided to go with him to San Diego. Frances, the owner of The Orbit, own the Banana Bungalow San Diego too, and Boogie offer me to fo there foir a little while. Staff are so friendly there, you have to meet them, its like a familly or something!!!
So, thats it, if yopu have any questions aconcerning the Orbiot, feel free to e-mail me!!!
Veronica