“Horrible Customer Service!!! Dont Expect T Get Your Car Fromk Valet In A Timely Manner!!”

The L.A. Hotel Downtown
Ranked #32 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 1, 2009

I had a presentation to do for my business to. If all went as planned it would have been very lucrative for my business. I was the only one this presentation featured. In other words if I was late it would have made me and my professionalism look VERY BAD because no one would be there to cover me. I made sure I was going to arrive 1hr early to my event in order to set up and make sure everything was going to work as planned. Nobody informed me about a convention on Saturday morning, the morning of my presentation, where the valet would take 45min-1hr to get my truck out of the valet. I told the Valet staff and manager my predicament after about 10minutes of waiting, after 20minutes I realized I was being ignored, and reprioritized. After 1/2 hour I started DEMANDING someone bring my vehicle! I was told it was on its way. I let everyone on the staff there know my situation and NOBODY could get me my vehicle. I even saw them bring people their car that had arrived 20minutes after me. I was now beginning to wonder if my truck had been stolen and this was their way of stalling so I DEMANDED to be taken to my vehicle. As I was getting ready to step in to a ride to the structure my vehicle was at it came around the corner. This was about 50-55 minutes from my original time I gave them my ticket to pick up my vehicle. Needless to say I was late to my presentation, my business suffered because of the irresponsibility of your staff, and made me look completely unprofessional to prominent, professional, future clients. THANKS! This was the absolute worst experience I have EVER had at a hotel! I had many other options of places to stay that night. I chose to use your chain because the price and location were right. I would have paid in the thousands of dollars for a room at another hotel in order to make it to my presentation on time because the $ amount of business lost could be around $10,000 or more. I delt with everyone involved in this situation including Mr. Marriotts personal assistant. They ALL told me my situation was of no importance to them and they ALL said they would do nothing in the way of compensation! DO NOT STAY HERE OR ATG ANY OTHER MARIOTT HOTEL!!! THEY ABSOULTLLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Chicago
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I stayed at this Marriott for approximately 5 months and I will say it is as average as it comes. The staff is great and concierge lounge is nice and large and a bit nicer than average, but the decor is a bit outdated in some rooms, the fitness center is small for this size of the hotel, and elevators don’t seem to handle the morning traffic. However, when looking downtown LA, there's really not too many that are better for the business traveler.

As with other hotels downtown, the busyness of this hotel ebbs and flows when there are conventions in town or when the foreign bus tours are in town. When that happens, it seems to slow everything down dramatically. Waiting for an elevator between 8am-9am can be painful even if you are on a high floor as you'll stop at every floor and the elevator will likely be crowded with tourists with huge suitcases. If you're on a low floor, good luck with the stairs or the maintenance elevators. Over the months I was there (May- Oct) the issues with the elevators were always apparent whenever the hotel was near capacity. All in all that's only a minor setback, but can grow to be a major annoyance if you stay here for a while.

There really aren't too many options downtown for the average business traveler, but this hotel offers all of the standard amenities you'd expect for in a Marriott. If you stay for a while, the staff becomes even friendlier as they get to know you… once again kind of what you expect from this tier of hotel, but you don’t always find that everywhere you go.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 14, 2009

Loved this hotel. Very beautiful and comfortable lobby. Cool and soothing. Mainly a business hotel with a downtown location and thoroughly enjoyed my stay given that my activities were focused in the downtown area. Rooms were larger than typical rooms you find at the large chains. Very well-appointed and clean. Nice pool and patio area. Didn't have extensive interaction with the staff, but overall very polite and accommodating staff. Valet parking with in and out privileges. Easy access the Santa Monica and Harbor freeway, and Interstate 5. Finally, the bar in the lobby was fantastic...relaxing place to have a drink and watch a game or chat. Would stay there again in a minute, for business or pleasure. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 28, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights in Oct 08, was part of UA super value deal. My colleagues and I decided to come earlier for some leisure time before transferring to Hollywood area to attend a business conference.

I was given a single room with a double bed (the only lady in the group). The room was clean and spacious and I loved the interior decoration, cozy! But being a Marriott hotel, I would expect better provision of room amenities like fridge, sewing kits, toothpaste/toothbrush etc. Only shampoo, shower foam and lotion were provided..Mmm, wonder was it due to the value package... so certain stuffs were not given..

We tried the buffet breakfast on the last morning, limited variety for US$25. Location wise, nothing much to see with tall business buildings. There was a Macy department store down the street, within walking distances. Got a map from the reception which was useful. The nearest Metro station 7th Street/Metro Center was 15 min away. We took the metro on the second day to visit the Ontario Mills(outlet mall) with some train transfer.

Overall, our stay here was pleasant and the hotels staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank sillypie
California, Central Valley
Reviewed February 4, 2009

We stayed at a suite at This Hotel and it was Great!! Everything from the arrival to the departure it was all good!!!

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — not enough time to enjoy the stay
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
manchester, uk
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I stayed at the Marriot for 3 nights and the hotel I couldnt fault. It had a great pool, good choice of restaurants and spacious high quality rooms. The hotel is much grander than most Marriot's I have stayed in within the UK.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who hires a car in LA but even though Downtown has meant to have shifted its negative image I would not stay here if you have not got transport.The neighbourhood is not safe to walk about at night and nobody walks in LA anyway! I would recommend anyone who wants a great location to wander on foot rather than drive to stay in the Santa Monica area-more expensive but well worth it.

• Liked — comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Southern California
Reviewed January 25, 2009

We were visiting Hollywood and Santa Monica over the weekend with two pre-teen kids and used Marriott Rewards to book this hotel. There isn't a whole lot to do with kids in downtown LA but the weekend rooms are usually substantially cheaper than similar properties around the Hollywood area. You can get to the fun places in and around LA with a 15-30 mn drive from here (see my posting on things to do in LA with kids).

This is a large, clean hotel with good service. I thought $30 for valet parking was a little excessive. We did not eat in the hotel but there are a couple good breakfast places nearby.

• Stayed December 2008