“"This Hyatt Will Be a Hit!"”

The L.A. Hotel Downtown
Ranked #32 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I first stayed here many years ago when it was the Marriott Downtown Los Angeles. Now that Hyatt has begun to remodel it, it's almost a completely different place. The lobby area is brighter and more contemporary. The folks at check-in were quite welcoming. The room did not disappoint, though the dresser seemed to be a leftover from the Marriott days. It was the only thing I didn't like about the room, though. As a business traveler, I appreciated that there were outlets everywhere so the devices I was carrying could be conveniently and simultaneously charged. Also, the lighting at bedside allowed for many options: lamps on the night stands; reading lights attached to the headboard; and another switch for lights above the headboard. Very thoughtful, I thought! The bed, as others have pointed out, was quite comfortable. And while the outside of the building is not particularly inspiring, I do like that there are floor-to-ceiling windows. Now, I'm sure I'm in the minority here because I asked to be in a room that faced the 110 Freeway. I liked the activity of the cars at night and I found watching the Downtown LA traffic fascinating at "rush" hour. I thought the windows were well-insulated; I had no trouble at all going to bed and sleeping soundly. The gentlemen who ran valet parking were pretty cordial and my car was always ready for me when I got down to the lobby. The room rate I received was great and I hope that they'll be able to keep it reasonable once the remodel is complete. I've stayed at the Westin Bonaventure, the Millennium Biltmore, Hilton Checkers, and the Doubletree, and I will definitely stay here the next time I am in Los Angeles for business. By the way, a unique way to spend an evening is to visit Little Tokyo, just a few minutes drive away. My go-to restaurant is Komasa, but be prepared to wait. There are several unique shops to spend a few minutes in and, during the day, the Japanese American National Museum is always worth a visit, too. Thanks to the folks at Hyatt for a great stay at the LA Hotel Downtown.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a 2 night business trip. It used to be a Marriott and it is being renovated to become a Hyatt Regency. In the interim, it is called "The LA Hotel." It was quite nice. The bathroom in my room was fully renovated and was excellent. It had a shower room rather than a tub. The lobby was under renovation. My room was very quiet. I looked at having breakfast at the hotel, but like any hotels it was way, way overpriced. There is a Starbucks just two blocks down Figueroa Street. The location of the hotel is great if you have business downtown. You will not need a car. To get up to Grand Avenue there are above the street walkways that will take you there. There is also a LA Dash bus that will take you down to city hall, and the courthouse area for 50 cents. If you don't need to be downtown, this hotel is probably not for you.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Checked in and went to eat. It was late so I went to sleep. Upon waking up I spread the curtains and in the light I saw the used toothpicks and the USED Q-Tip on the floor. The bar and food closes at 11:30pm in the lobby so if you are hoping for a drink or eats in the bar after work forget it. The staff seems very good and while the lobby is shiny and new it has not changed much from what we called The S--tty Marriott that it use to be.

Room Tip: upon check in inspect, inspect, inspect!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank dad113056
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed here for about 10 days in late Jan/early Feb 2014. It is in the process of being remodeled and is almost complete. The room was great - very comfortable bed, nice bathroom except for the typical poor lighting, adequate closet space, a safe big enough for a laptop, desk, etc. Let me repeat - very comfortable bed! We were there part of the time with a tour group and those days we enjoyed the delicious and varied breakfast buffet but it was too expensive for us the other days. We ate a light dinner in the hotel one night and it was good.

Service was extraordinary! Everyone with whom we came into contact was pleasant and eager to help. My husband used the fitness center and said it was very good. Clean and plenty of machines and a variety of types of machines.

This is in a business area and there is not a huge variety of places to eat in the area in the evening which is typical of many downtown areas. But it is close to public transportation and highways.

Two negatives - they charge for internet in your room though it is free in the lobby, and they charge $35 for valet parking with in-and-out privileges. We went for the convenience of the parking but could have checked the area for a better deal.

All in all, though, we were very happy with the hotel and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Wow not good. The hotel is being converted to Hyatt. These seems to be no obvious signs of construction and anything that seems out place. Other than the pool. It is surrounded on 2 side by freeway off ramps. We never did find a Jacuzzi. Hate to be so critical but... The bed is hard, and there is no place for your IPod. The shower set up is almost impossible and certainly impossible if you are a large person. The way the door swings there would be no way for you to get in. Although there is a tub in the other corner you could use. The parking is forced valet at $35. per day. which I never saw coming. BTW there is a secure parking structure across the street for $8. per day. The restaurant is very expense. This would be a very bad choice for a family. It is close to the freeway but there is not much, at all, to do around the hotel. We are fans of the Hyatt and this won't prevent us from considering the chain again, but we just can't find a reason to stay here unless you must.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnnymonn
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Had a great stay here this week. Hotel is working hard to complete the upgrades and do the final re-branding to Hyatt.

Used a Diamond upgrade here and got a huge suite with separate living area.. So if you're considering an upgrade here, ask for a junior suite. You won't be disappointed.

Hotel is expensive. Parking is valet only and $35/night. But what else is new for downtown LA.

You have to walk a good ways to get to any decent restaurants. Nothing really in the vicinity of the hotel. Metro system is about 6 blocks south and will get you on the red line out to Hollywood and Universal area.

Overall a solid "4" but a definite "5" for Diamond Upgrades..

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We LOVED our stay at the Regency to be LA downtown.
Staff at the front desk were amazing smiley and helpful (thank you Vincente!). Hotel is under renovation and the room are amazing, beds super comfy and facilities are great.
On the other hand, we were absolutely shocked by the rudeness of the waitress in the breakfast room, they would not look at you when you talk to them and it takes over 15 minutes to get coffee some days. We stayed for 5 days and it happened everyday. Despite this inconvenience, which I hope is just a temporary thing due to renovation works, everything about this hotel is GREAT!

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing the highway, you also have a choice between bathtub and shower only rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple