“Magical Place! Enchanted... our new World Hub for Going West!”
Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #1 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Palm Beach, Florida
“Magical Place! Enchanted... our new World Hub for Going West!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We've been going to the Bel Air hotel many times now, even twice this summer! It was our hub for our vacation this year in Japan.

The Bel Air service is great, the place is enchanted, magical at night with luxuriant trees and flowers, makes you forget completely that you are in LA. Minutes away by cab to the buzz of Beverly Hills, this is your peaceful harbour.

For couples, it's a highly romantic place. For families, it's a great relaxing setting. The property while right in the city is laid out as a beach resort in the Maldives or Bora Bora. Indeed every guest has its own private villa, and you can even get two connecting ones via an interior staircase that makes almost a small house in this great location.

Wolfgang Puck is your chef. The whole staff is welcoming. Going for breakfast, lunch or dinner, you can enjoy the secluded feel of their "alcoves" at the back. The food is great. The ambiance and setting simply make you relax and enjoy.

It is very unique. We are very 4S and yes, there are two 4S in LA. We tried both. And we keep returning to Bel Air. Nothing like it in LA.

Room Tip: Canyon Suites are the best rooms. Ask for 2nd or 3rd level.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear BonVoyageFamily,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. It is always a pleasure welcoming you back to our garden oasis! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay…from the setting, to the service, to the food.

We look forward to your return and hope it will be soon!

Denise Flanders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I've never experienced a hotel quite like the Hotel Bel-Air. A friend and I flew to LA for Comic Con, before heading down to San Diego I scheduled an extra night in LA - I had been wanting to visit the Hotel Bel-Air since my first visit to LA many years ago. You can tell this hotel is in a league of it's own as you arrive at the valet and make your way over the bridge, everything is so serene and relaxing.
I booked a Canyon Room (the idea of having my own private jacuzzi on the patio was too good to be true!). When I checked in I found we had been kindly upgraded to a Premier Canyon Room (room 268) free of charge. We were shown to our room and it was better than I could have imagined; The living room is spacious with a stunning floor-to-ceiling glass sliding door leading to the patio with a fire place, 2 sitting areas and the spa pool. The bedroom is large with a Bang & Olufsen TV, high wooden ceiling a fantastic king bed, attached to the bedroom is the bathroom with double sinks, shower, large bath with TV and last but not least the most high-tech toilet I have ever encountered, you will have to try it yourself to find out... it's quite the treat!
We relaxed outside on the patio for hours in the spa pool and by the fire place and never heard another soul whilst we were out there - pure bliss.
My only regret is that I didn't have more time to spend in the hotel exploring the grounds and sampling the restaurant/pool.
If I get the chance in future I will definitely be staying at the Hotel Bel-Air again, I cannot recommend it enough. My photos do not do it justice!

Room Tip: Premier Canyon Room 268 guarantees ultimate luxury and tranquility
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Michael A,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us…especially the Premier Canyon Room! 268 is a special room with a lovely indoor/outdoor experience and great features.

We hope to get the chance to welcome you back in the near future…but next time for a longer stay!

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This was my first time back since the remodel. Have since stayed at the Peninsula, Montage, and Four Seasons BH. Great staff, very friendly yet professional. Upgraded to a Canyon room with outdoor FP and hot tub. Great room. Restaurant and bar still excellent. Only downside is the wine prices in the restaurant. I notice almost no tables with bottles of wine , obviously because of the pricing policy, very expensive, big markup, which is sad because they have a excellent wine list. Interesting, because I also dined at another Puck restaurant (twice in 3 days), Spago, and found excellent wines at much lower price points than his restaurant at the Bel-Air. The bar is still great, probably even better after the remodel---tortilla soup is wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear DCYOUNG,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. It was a pleasure welcoming you back to the hotel and introducing you to the new product. It's wonderful that you were able to experience our Canyon view rooms - they are among our most popular accommodations. It's great to know that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us … from the service, to the room, to the famous tortilla soup! I also appreciate you providing candid feedback about our wine list. Please know that I will be sure to discuss this with our Food & Beverage team to see how we can best meet our guests needs.

Denise Flanders

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Dallas
Reviewed July 28, 2014

When I stayed here two years ago, the hotel had just opened and the service was exceptional, things have changed.

Overall, the resort is gorgeous and the rooms are great, except the Bang and Olsen TV and remote is a total bust. I really hated the new decor in the main areas, the first time I stayed, but I am more open to it now, but the main room is still too sterile.

We really liked the breakfast credit, but the mini bar should be free and the cheap generic chocolate squares at turn down just don't cut it.

Many of the staff where great, but below is a list of interactions that management has got to step up its game to continue being considered a 5 star hotel:
1. We stepped out of are car and the valet asked our name and he had a radio on him, but by the time we made it to the front desk they had no idea who we were. Further, no one acknowledged that we had stayed here before.
2. Again the TV, remote and movie on demand are all really substandard and needs to replaced ASAP.
3. Our bellman informed us, after he took us to room that he had to now, go get our bags because he was the only bellman working. 1 bellman, really?
4. As we entered our room for the first time the housekeeper entered and asked if she could do the turn down then, really bad timing.
5. Again, turndown treat needs to have much more of a wow factor, or just don't have one.
6. The biggest service faux paw, was that we had the do not disturb sign activated and the front desk still called us, they acknowledged that we had our do not disturb activated, but still thought it was necessary to disturb us to ask if they could come bring a plug for our ipad because it was about to die. We did not want to be disturbed and especially for that.
7. There is a sign at the pool that says call for room service. There should be no sign and the pool staff should provide you with menus.

Not trying to nitpick, but for the prices and the reputation this place has, it should and could do better.

4 Thank CDUB212121
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear CDUB212121,

Thank you for the detailed review of your recent stay. After reading your candid feedback, I am left feeling quite upset to learn of your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. But I also greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with me, as it is only in this way that we are able to improve upon our shortcomings.

First, I must apologize on behalf of our entire team. What you encountered is exactly the opposite of what your experience should have been. There is absolutely no excuse for the fact that the staff seemed unorganized, and I am very sorry for this. We take great pride in providing Five Star service in all areas of our operation and it is most concerning that you did not find this to be the case. This is completely unacceptable and not reflective of the high standards that we work so hard to achieve at Hotel Bel-Air.

Regarding your comment on our TVs being subpar, please know that all of the rooms have 40” Bang and Olufsen High Definition TVs. I was surprised to hear this commentary, as these are top of the line TVs and we haven't received negative feedback on them before. If you decide to stay with us again (which we very much hope you will) please have the front desk agent walk you through the functionality of the TV and I assure you will be pleased.

Please know that I have been addressing all of these shortcomings with our team, and working with them to ensure that we prevent them from occurring in the future. Our collective goal is always to provide our guests with service excellence from the moment they step out of their car to the moment they depart. We were not able to do this for you, and again, it is most disappointing. It my sincere hope that you will return so we can provide you with the exceptional experience that our guests have come to expect from us. I would ask that should you would consider returning to Hotel Bel-Air, please contact me directly so I may personally oversee your reservation.

Redmond, Washington
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I am writing this review as we still sit in our suite 392 at Hotel Bel-Air, finishing our third stay in 12 months here.

Taking things in order, and in order to illustrate how much we like this place, I'd start by the valet parking staff. While it may seems easy, what these guys do is not. There always professional, courteous, and as the first employees you meet when arriving, they are the face of the hotel. Between them, Stan and Angelo for the courtesy car, this is a great team.

Moving on to check-in and reception, things could not have been better. I had been in regular contact with Dawn, the concierge, and this being our 15th wedding anniversary stay, she managed to get us in our favorite suite. We are very grateful to Dawn for this (she is truly outstanding), and to the hotel for their kindness. We even found a nice note from Mrs. Flanders when arriving, thank you very much for that, you made our stay a wonderful moment.

From there, I could talk about the housekeeping staff, restaurant personnel, pools waitresses, everyone is doing the finest hospitality job. They all make you feel like you're their only customer and preoccupation, while they have to deal with all sorts of demands form a lot of people.

The suite itself is our favorite, as I mentioned, it is extremely clean, comfortable, and welcoming. We will leave in two days, but already plan to be back not only for our next winter vacation like we did this year, but most likely also for Christmas. As a European living in the I was sad to leave my favorite hotels in France (Hermitage Barriere in La Baule and Royal Barrier in Deauville), but I have truly found their US replacement.

Thank you to Mrs. Flanders and her team for their kindness with us, we feel there is a lot of value in the price paid here, and beyond money, there is real hospitality, which is rare to find in this industry.I made sure to express that on Twitter as well, so everybody knows what great job is being done here.

See you soon hotel Bel Air!

3 Thank JB D
Dear JBD485,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your recent stay with us. Your review put a huge smile on my face. It is always our goal to provide our guests with an exceptional experience from start to finish. And thank you for recognizing so many of our team members by their names. Our staff is truly the heart and soul of the hotel and I will be sure to share your kind words with them. It is also great to hear you enjoyed suite 392 so much…it is truly a one-of-a-kind suite.

We very much appreciate your kind words and for recommending us to others via Twitter. There is no greater compliment than this and we strive to make every guests visit a memorable and most enjoyable one. Winter season will be here before you know it and we very much look forward to welcoming you back then.

Enjoy the rest of summer and warm regards.

Warm regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Relaxed,elegant, secluded with luxury all around, combined with the exceptional service make The Bel-Air worth a visit when you can stay and enjoy it. There are many places to stay in the Los Angeles area: the beach, Beverly Hills, Downtown and everywhere in between. You can find luxury accommodations and fine service in all those areas, but there is only one Bel-Air!
I would not recommend the Bel-Air as a base for an LA visit , not because it is not well located because it is for the West Side, Beverly Hills, or the Beach; but you really do not want to leave the hotel if you are staying here. Twelve acre property with 50 rooms in Bel-Air should be savored.
For many this is a recharge and relax, and romantic type hotel. While children are not discouraged it is not worth it for kids, nor would they feel comfortable.Not enough to do. Go to the beach with kids.
The staff are the best trained and most consistently excellent we have ever experienced, top to bottom. Outstanding in every way with a clearly trained and honed guest focus.
The room we had was a Loft room that was oversized and elegant. Every luxury and technology. B&O tvs, IPad communication and controls. Pool was very good, although very busy on our visit, which made chairs hard to come by in the later afternoon sun.
We liked the bar very much. Not as "club" like the former bar, but very nice and they had live music.
The Wolfgang Puck operated restaurant was a wonderful inside/outside environment. Again elegant, but not formal. We really enjoy Puck normally, but this food was not up to standard for the price. Service was excellent and friendly. Food average at 4 star prices. We had friends over for dinner and they agreed. Not exceptional and it should be. We also had in room breakfast and that as well was not terrific, but again exceptional service. We will give them a pass on the food and chalk it up to a bad day in the kitchen.
This all leads us to the bottom line question:Is It Worth It? The answer for us is yes. We put the Bel-Air, The Post Ranch Inn, San Yisdro Ranch, Rancho Valencia in the same category of luxury experiences that worth doing at least once in your life.

Room Tip: Loft rooms are new and very large. Located in a new building in a more remote end of the property. V...
2 Thank Traveler234280
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Traveler234280,

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent visit to Hotel Bel-Air. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's location and setting, and that you didn't want to leave the property during your stay. It's also great to learn that you experienced "consistently excellent service" throughout the hotel, enjoyed the bar, and that you found your accommodations well appointed and comfortable. I am, however, disappointed to know that you did not think the food in Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air - as well as through in-room dining - was up to the high standards that we set for ourselves. Please know that I will share your concerns with our culinary team here to gain a better of understanding of our shortcomings.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air in the future and hope it will be in the very near future.

Regards,
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I spent three nights here last month, as the first part of our vacation. Even arriving from London without our luggage, at midnight, we were relaxed within minutes of our arrival.

I was prepared for the luxury and the surroundings, but what struck me most was how the service was so professional, so faultless, but with a relaxed feel.

We stayed in a Deluxe guest room with patio, next to the pool, and it was lovely. Service around the pool was good for drinks and snacks too.

Valet parking were really fast every time. Room service was also excellent.

We enjoyed everthing we ate here, particularly eating outside in such a lovely setting.

I also used the gym, which was well equipped, and not far from the pool.

We can only echo previous reviews in that the gardens make this such a lovely place to stay.

To be so close to the city, but in such a beautiful residential area, really made us glad we chose here too.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeandLiz40,

Thank you for your detailed review of Hotel Bel-Air. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from the beautiful settings, to the guestroom, to the pool and the restaurant. But what means the most to me is to read that you received Five Star service from all of our team members, who clearly provided you with a memorable and unique experience during your stay with us. Thank you again for your kind words, which I will happily share with everyone at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Los Angeles.

Warm regards,
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
#9 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!