“A Resort to Beat all Resorts”
Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #1 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Saint Louis, Michigan
“A Resort to Beat all Resorts”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Hotel Bel-Air in Los Angeles is by far the most luxurious among hotels in LA, nay in the world. The hotel was completely refurbished. The style is Spanish and the accommodations ultra luxurious. The service matches the high standards set. The gardens are large and feature a pond with swans. The style is 1950s and the décor matches the period. The outdoor pool is beautiful. The Lounge and Bar is quaint with nice view of the gardens and features a piano and a couple of fireplaces. Additionally, some breast beating photographs of stalwarts in the technology, film and music fields are featured in the bar. The restaurant is well managed by a professional chef who prepares cuisine, which is a fusion of the Mediterranean. The suites have a remote control fire pit made famous by Hollywood and plunge pool with loungers as well.

1 Thank PardShermanS
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear PardShermanS,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled you consider us to be by far the most luxurious hotels in LA, may it be in the world. Our enchanting gardens are truly what makes the hotel so special, along with a team of dedicated professionals who wish to provide a service of the highest standards to each one of our guests.

Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in Los Angeles and Hotel Bel-Air in the near future.

Denise Flanders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My wife and I had a "extra stolen day" on a trip to LA to see friends. So we booked a room at the Bel Air at the last moment. What a wonderful escape. The room was beautiful. The bar had a Jazz group and dinner was delightful. The next morning we took in the spa to make our stolen day complete. While a little expensive it was well worth it. We never felt a need to leave the grounds.

Room Tip: Room 369 has a huge terrace to enjoy,
1 Thank sourboy97
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear sourboy97,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to relax and escape for a night. We hope to welcome you back for a longer stay next time!

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I had a lovely 4 night stay at this Hotel. I was in LA for business and enjoyed returning to the Bel-Air after meetings. I particularly loved the spacious room, beautiful grounds and gardens and mostly the incredible staff. The Housekeeping staff was particularly memorable as they all were incredibly gracious and spent a good deal of time with the cleaning of each room and turn down. The gentleman at checkout was also extremely pleasant as were the Room Service staff.
The tv and bed were both great.
A few areas of suggested improvement: the turndown chocolate square and bottle of water could be improved for a 5 star hotel. I was a little underwhelmed. Also, I had a late afternoon dip in the pool (beautiful) one day and the pool server was not consistent and was selective of whom she approached for orders. Additionally, the housekeeping staff assisted me by fixing a broken zipper on one of my suit pants. I appreciated that it was fixed but felt the $26 price tag was unnecessary and a bit unexpected.
One recommendation is if you have a sweet tooth, the Austrian Chocolate Cake was about the best dessert I have ever had. Chocolate lovers, enjoy!
A great hotel experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank BulldogMatt
Dear BulldogMatt,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and were able to relax after your business meetings. The hotel's setting and lush gardens really do provide the perfect (and convenient) escape from busy Los Angeles. It is wonderful to hear your kind words regarding the service provided to you. Please know that I will be sure to share this with the team, as they take great pride in providing Five Star service.

I am also grateful for the feedback that you provided which is not as complimentary, including the chocolate turndown amenity, pool service, and pricing for the seamstress' services. Please know I am addressing these issues with the team and I thank you again for bringing them to my attention. And I must agree with you ... the Austrian Chocolate Cake is out of this world! I will be sure to share with our pastry team how much you enjoyed it.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Bel-Air on your next trip to Los Angeles.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed January 29, 2014

In LA for a business trip, I opted for something with easier access to my meeting. Hotel Bel air was VERY pricey and if the room wasn't covered by my company, I would never have stayed there. They arranged a car service for me, which was prompt, on time and perfect. Arrival at the hotel was only about 25 min from LAX, an attendant showed me the grounds and my room. The room was beautiful, (I forgot to ask for hypo-allergenic bedding so had a reaction to the down feathers, but they came to change immediately-great except he didn't use gloves when touching my pillows etc) Room had a balcony (1st floor though) a real wood fireplace-which I used, heated floors in the bathroom and the best rainfall shower I've ever used, usually they don't have enough water pressure for my thick hair but it was perfect. I ordered room service which was very sub par, the taste was bland and the price for what you actually received was laughable. I used the fitness center, which was new they said, better than most LA places but no comparison to what I need to actually get a great workout in, need to upgrade their cardio machines. Waited 20 min to check out only to have a rude patron cut in front of me and the front desk staff allow it....was perturbed but didn't let it ruin my day. Overall, its a nice place. Would I stay again? No. Not close to rodeo drive or anything at all....nice & quiet. Oh and I'll add they have great TV, all movie channels included.

Room Tip: Didn't see the other rooms but the deluxe with sitting area was beautiful
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Vegas G
Dear Chris T,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am glad you chose to stay with us on your recent business trip to Los Angeles. It is great to know that you enjoyed your room … from the wood fireplace, to the heated bathroom floors, to the shower. I am however, very upset to hear of the all the shortcomings you encountered throughout your stay. This is not reflective of the Five Star service that we strive to consistently deliver to all of our guests and apologize for not living up to your, as well as our, expectations. Please know that I have followed up with my team to ensure these service failures do not occur again.

And although you indicate that you will not return to Hotel Bel-Air, it is my sincere hope that you will reconsider and allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again. If this is at all an option, I would ask that you please contact me directly so I may personally oversee your reservation.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I travel to LA a lot for business and I like to end the working day with a quiet drink. I like my bars discreet with comfortable seating, soft lighting and a piano tinkling in the background, and friendly staff who remember you and make you feel welcome when you come back, even if it's been a couple of months since. The bar at the Bel Air is everything I love and more. I am always made to feel so welcome, I can sit at the bar and have a conversation, or sit quietly. The bartenders are very knowledgeable, and take care wonderful care of you. A special mention for Allen who is the consummate professional, and clearly an expert in his field and will recommended something wonderful if you tell him your tastes. This bar is a must visit - take the time to do it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Marianne D
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Marianne D,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Bel-Air. I love everything you said about your experience there - how wonderful to read this. Thank you for your kind words regarding Allen. He will be thrilled to know you enjoyed his company and expertise. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2014

A man from NY City arriving on Christmas Day at the Hotel Bel-Air for the first time, for a four-night stay, and looking at the Hotel’s grounds could feel cheated. But as the stay progressed, things got better and better.

Upon our arrival, every walkway, every bit of lawn, and most of the plants comprising the beautiful landscaping were covered with dry dead leaves that had to have fallen from the tall trees canopy that rises up around the whole property. A result of the one day when the grounds staff may have been given a day off? The hotel was as quiet as you would expect from a place where the use of a leaf blower was obviously and thankfully unthinkable. By the second day, the hotel grounds with its abundant tree-ferns, flowers and potted orange trees was made to be neat and clean again as the landscaping was transformed into something special with some impressive maintenance.

The Hotel Bel-Air is an outdoorsy kind of place where you have to walk out-doors through a maze of mostly uncovered gardens with walls, entries, and uneven paths as you pass places to swim, eat, or meet others on the way to and from your rooms. At first, if you’re not familiar with it, you can feel lost. And the “heated” pool, while inviting, wasn’t exactly warm (but we burst out laughing to have dared to dive in at the deep-end considering that the pool was deserted, and well shaded with white bird-of-paradise trees). In fact, all of the pool area furniture was covered—and we sort of felt like we were visiting an aunt’s fantastic place in Saint Jean Cap Ferrat during the off season (if we had such an aunt). Then in little time, you discover there aren’t as many paths as you thought, and finally, it all becomes sort of familiar the way certain beach clubs are set up—like those with a line for those who prefer cold food and a separate line for hot food—for those familiar with the place. It takes just a day or two and then you fall in love with this Hotel.

And then there was our room: very very large, a studio of sorts with what seemed like a 12 or 14-foot high wood paneled ceiling. I say studio because ours was almost all one room with just enough of an entrance, so the big bed was definitely the main feature. But you could make art in there. Manually opening two sets of cascading drapes (one sheer and one very heavy) let the natural light into the room, providing a view of our private patio with furniture and extra seating outside. The room itself definitely had presence — but there’s an assumption that guests see the value in having an iPad to turn down the lights, order services, dial the phone, and a Bang & Olufsen television that the porter pointed out as having cost $15K. Our iPad wasn’t functioning, but abundant light switches had master-controls that worked just as well. Curtains closed and lights out, the room was pitch black. We slept so well!

The new and the old is intermingled. I as much expected to run into Lucy and Desi Arnaz laughing or Lena Dunham getting married there. I think there were at least 4 weddings on the grounds while we were staying. Each of them was very grand, and in different locations but oddly hardly noticeable from a guest’s point of view and activity. A staffer shared a story about a father hosting his daughter’s $2 mm wedding who enjoyed himself so much he had to be carted off in a wheelbarrow. The staff most often asked “are you finding everything allright?”

On the first morning, we seized upon having breakfast at the hotel, and found ourselves the only ones there, and the “juevos rancheros” too similar to what might be served at a truck stop. The eggs were burnt to a crisp. It being December in Bel-Air, the portable heaters were placed too close to the table. We pushed them away to keep from burning. After that, we left the grounds each morning for breakfast in Brentwood (Farmshop), which we can highly recommend. At night, back at the hotel after full days of enrichment, my favorite was The Bar & Lounge. Very dark, with art that works made from very large-scale photographs of a few recognizable people that have been successful in LA—a perfect reminder of just where you are exactly. The food in The Bar & Lounge was delicious, the bar and staff tops, and this is a great place for conversations and being one with the other guests.

Controlled open or gas fires are much in use at this hotel, the most surprising one being in the outdoor space set aside as a smoking area, and where the staff would start to burn wood logs just before dark—to keep the non-existent smoker warm, or not. Smoking is otherwise strictly forbidden or discouraged. Each night an unexpected but consistently roaring fire in a garden enclosure—amazing.

There was also a long enclosed gas fire place in the Wolfgang Puck main dining room. The décor is a cross between Aspen’s St. Regis and what you find in the spa at the Corinthia Hotel in London. Quite warming, very nice.

Of course, it’s not fair to compare huge hulking stone covered hotels in Aspen with the Bel-Air, which is a sprawling mostly one-story number, the grounds and corners covered with camellia plants in full bloom. Soft pinks, ruby reds, and whites hugged the corners like a cardigan closed at the waist, so that the long uneven outdoor corridors to the rooms were more diluted and distracting than the more usual “hallway.” To further emphasize the point and to both discourage complaints and present a lack of change to the ladies that have been arriving at the Hotel Bel-Air in Rolls Royces (with the same or new mates) since the 1970’s, the ankle high plants at the edge of all of the walk ways were replaced in their entirety one night with chucky dark-green leaved cyclamen—all in perfect mid-bloom, white flowers with buds as if they had always been there.

Of the gym and the spa: both serviceable and of great construction, quality of materials, etc. We were made to be welcome in using the steam room and showers. And there is a great room where spa service using couples are invited to linger in private after massages. No wonder, having now seen the room, which has a giant bath tub as well.

If there is one word for the management’s maintenance of the Hotel Bel-Air, it’s fit. They give the appropriate value to everything — the arrival, the care of your car, the apparent and hidden vehicles, the walk over a bridge to reception that feels like a home, the subtle shading of the grounds and landscape, the omnipresence of flowers and service, minimal places to eat or to have people over for a drink— privacy without secret corridors, and the effect is graceful, old world, confident.

We’ve grown so used to hip or conceptual hotels (and the stodgy ones) that we’ve stopped questioning what it is they tell us about traveling, and staying in a place. It starts to look like a lot of gimmicky stuff. No authentic content, too much stuff, or just bad templates. Here, the place makes you think, and wonder about who’s here, who’s not, what you see, who you don’t. You’re not anywhere, you are at the Hotel Bel-Air.

I have never stayed at a place quite like it.

Room Tip: Tell the receptionist how you prefer to sleep or spend time in your room, and whether you want total...
8 Thank DavidDavid111
Dear DavidDavid111,

Thank you for writing a detailed review on your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I do apologize the grounds weren’t up to your standards upon your arrival. We do employ a very competent and professional team of landscapers who work around the clock to maintain our 12 acres of lush gardens. Thank you for understanding that during certain times of the year the leaf fall is heavier and it does take some time to return our grounds to their normal immaculate state. I am happy to hear that this is what you witnessed later into your stay and that you were able to enjoy our beautiful grounds in all their glory.

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your room…from the high ceilings, to the beautiful patio, to the technology. There is nothing more important when staying at a hotel than receiving a good night’s sleep so it's great to know that you slept well.

I am very concerned to hear you did not enjoy your breakfast experience and went elsewhere for the remainder of your stay. This certainly does not reflect the standards we are known for and our commitment to product and service excellence. I can assure you that your comments were addressed with the team so we can prevent this from happening again. I am, however, glad you enjoyed your experience in the Bar & Lounge.

It's also wonderful to know that you enjoyed your experience in the spa and the gym. The couples suite at the spa is truly a one of a kind venue and I am glad you were able to experience it firsthand.

Hotel Bel-Air is truly a unique place that offers an experience unlike any other. We pride ourselves on being authentic and capturing a true sense of place, so it is very rewarding to know that you took note of this. We hope to welcome you back in the near future and hope it will be soon.

Excelsior, Minnesota
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The Hotel Bel Air is one of the finest hotels in the US. It's setting in a canyon right in the heart of LA cannot be bettered. It's garden is sublime, kept by 3 full-time gardeners. The rooms, scattered throughout the whole property, are recently redone and filled with the latest in lighting, electronics, even a toilet with a heated seat whose lid raises when you walk in and lowers when you leave. The bathroom has every comfort, the closets spacious, plenty of drawers, work space and wonderful furnishings.
The restaurant, Wolfgang Puck at the Bel Air, should have a separate review. Our meals were perfect. They were costly but worth it. The menus are varied and unique. The small chef surprises before our main course at dinner were excellent. The dinner itself was even better. Breakfast was superb. Service is friendly, unobtrusive and thorough. It reminded us of the best restaurants in Europe.
Our entire stay was perfection. We are only sad we can't return next week.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the main hotel are calmer but all are quiet.
1 Thank mntraveler46
Dear mntraveler46,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled you consider us one of the finest hotels in the US. Our enchanting setting and lush grounds are truly what makes Hotel Bel-Air so uniquely special. This, along with our wonderful team of service professionals. The hotel is serene and quiet, yet we’re located in the second largest (and busiest!) city in the U.S. We are lucky to have such a coveted.

I am so pleased to know that you very much enjoyed your room and dining experiences. I will be sure to share your compliments to Chef – he will greatly appreciate this.

And we too are sad that you will not be returning next week but we hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
#9 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!