“Below Average experience”

VIP Tours of California
Ranked #210 of 257 Tours in Los Angeles
Reviewed June 7, 2013

They advertise for a large list of tours usually, but don't pick up from the hotels in which they have their brochures. So check with them clearly if they would pick you up from where you stay.
I was taken for the LA city and Beverly hills' star tour in a 'mini' van type vehicle, which is usually used to pick up passengers from the airport to the hotel or to pick and drop off guests from the hotels for the tour. The van had small windows, not the one you usually see for such sight seeing tours. So anyone in the middle of the rows[ except the first row] can hardly see much outside, as the top is closed as well. So the only time you get to see well outside is when you are allowed to get out of the van, which occurred 3 times during the six hour tour. They do have other buses which they use in some tours or if they have enough crowd.
I expected more information from the guide throughout the tour but was given minimal information. Prior to the tour, I was told to be there before 11.30 to get tickets but the tour did not start until 12.05 noon and I was there at 10.30 AM. Although I made up my way myself without being picked up at my hotel [Marriott Renaissance], I did not get any discount for that and further ended up dropped off last where I parked my car.[also ended up sitting in the last row! but that didn't matter as someone has to]. I travel a lot and usually go on tours like these, but never had such 'mini-vans' with small windows! My wife did mention this at the end of the tour and hopefully they make some changes to their vehicles and pick up passengers from hotels.

1  Thank pennking

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Me and my friends had booked a combo tour package with ViP tours through the hotel Fairfield Marriott at Buena Park. We thought the package was a good deal since it included one day pass for the Universal Studios and the night tour of Hollywood and downtown LA. Since it is our first time in LA and even though we had rented a car, we decided to go with the package as it would have saved time, despite it being expensive. The hotel staff encouraged us to take the combo package as well and told us to put the deposit to guarantee seats for the tour, which we did. Once we paid the deposit we were guaranteed the tour. The next morning (01june2013, Friday), we were picked up on time from the hotel to the office of VIP tours to get the tickets. We paid for the tickets. When it was time to get onto the bus, the supervisor comes and tells there won't be a night tour due to the lack of customers for the night tour. He tells that we have to cancel the night tour. I was very disappointed why we were not informed before they picked us up from the hotel. I told the same thing to the supervisor. He did not have any answer to that and he never once apologized for the inconvenience. Instead, he bluntly tells us that he has the right to cancel our tour anytime and says that it's written in the website! I have never had such a bad customer service! After discussing the matter with supervisor for quite some time and showing our frustration, he tells that he might be able to do the night tour if he finds more customers later during the day. So we agreed since we had no choice. After we were done with the Universal tour, we had to wait for an hour for the bus for the night tour. The night tour was ok...nothing special for the price!

3  Thank Nakamura2013
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Tour company picked us up on time
Guide spoke well and kept us informed all the way
From this tour we went on to arrange further trips to those places that interested us

2  Thank Eric11467
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Choose carefully. Don't fall for marketing gimmicks like "city tour"! Check the time at each stop.
For example our 5 hr city tour in LA was a drive by the city and they did not show us the film star houses, the financial district nor the sunset strip and Santa Monica pier!!!
The only things worth seeing were Venice ( just 45 mins) and Hollywood walk of fame ( an insignificant 30 min)! The farmers market was the only stop worth it's time.
Never combine 2 tours! U do both an injustice!

2  Thank Sheetaldc
See more reviews
Reviewed May 26, 2013

A VERY disappointing experience we had on at trip to Universal Studios. They didn't pick us up from the front entrance to our hotel as was done the trip before, instead claimed we weren't there so we had to call, paying the remaining bal over the phone to be picked up after everyone else (making us look the bad delaying customers) only to get on the bus and the driver asking if we had tickets to get in..... then suggesting he goes back to head office only to have the entire bus passengers calling out in despair as they'd also been giventhe run around... disaster after disaster. Universal was good then we were picked up by another misinformed driver who asked us for extra cash as was instructed by head office.... more issues... then he suggested we all get dropped off near our hotels to make it easier for him to negotiate the larger bus..... just a shame they employ drivers who are obviously stressed, lack in communication to them and sadly they don't always understand English and to top it off, expect a tip!!!!!

3  Thank Tracy573