“Wonderful Place to Stay in Downtown LA”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #23 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Spearfish, SD
“Wonderful Place to Stay in Downtown LA”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Perfect location for a conference or if you are attending an event at the Staples Center or Nokia Theater. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and the concierge was particularly helpful! I wish I could remember her name so I could thank her for all her helpful advice. The rooms are modern and very clean and there is a coffee shop in the lobby of the hotel. If you like Starbucks, it's right outside the back door, along with several great eating places. You don't even have to cross the street to go into the Nokia Theater and the Staples Center is right across the street. It's walking distance to catch the subway to take you directly to the center of Hollywood. I will definitely stay here again if I ever get the opportunity.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I was greated by a lovely female driver and checked in by a man who had advised rate was 129USD & advised breakfast and wifi included and even gave me direction on were to have breakfast. He was happy to exchange money for me as well.

I went to my room and it was nice, the gentlemen helping me to my room also advised buffet breakfast included and told me were. I went to breakfast and was billed 50USD & was advised it's not included.

I went and spoke to management the front desk manager was so rude and un helpful didn't try to resolve the situation & kept putting blame back on to myself that I miss understood him and that they train the staff really well. Obviously they don't because 2 staff advised the same. As a manger you don't blame customer and you always try to help the customer but this lady didn't care no apology and was so rude about it.
If management is this unhelpful and rude how do you expect other staff to be??

I am a travel agent and have travelled the world and never experienced such bad service, especially coming from management. Not a good reflection on the hotel, which is a shame.

If you could book else where I highly advise you do!!

Forgot to mention the gentlemen who checked us in advised money exchange service and then front desk the next morning advised they have
no money.

It's very clear that staff are not trained well at all.
Disappointed and disgusted.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Zainab87
anna l, Sr Admin Assistant at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Zainab87,

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication between our staff members. Please note we have shared this information with our Leaders in the Front Office to avoid any confusion in the future. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you'll give us another chance once again. Thank you.
Chicago
Reviewed April 27, 2014

If you are going to the Staples Center, Nokia Theater, or the Convention Center, this hotel is perfectly located. In fact, the location, with its close proximity to numerous dining and entertainment options, is the best thing about the hotel. The rooms are pretty typical of a Marriott. The lighting in the bathroom was poor and there was no fan in the bathroom, but those are minor issues. Everything else in the room was perfect. The maid service was excellent. I would definitely stay here again. For a quick meal or drink, Tom's Urban and The Yard House are a one minute walk away and are reasonably priced and offer good food. In fact, the breakfast at Tom's Urban was excellent and the place was nearly empty every morning, so I enjoyed amazing service.

Orange, California
Reviewed April 26, 2014

First time to stay with JW - I think they are emulating the Mandarin Oriental in decor and style - there were some issues with the location - $42 for parking?? Unbelievable... The flashing lights from the big screens on the surrounding buildings were hard to block out with the curtains - great design in the bathroom - high end toiletries. The bed was comfortable - although no international TV stations - that was weird given the location and clientele... $12 for internet - because the can - and the bed skirt was stained - so I don't know if I would stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the plaza with the big screens - they can be really bright at night!!
Atherton, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this lovely hotel. The rooms were updated and very large. Clean updated bathrooms with view of the Staples Center, and Nokia Theater. I would highly recommend staying here if you plan on staying in the download LA area. Thumbs up JW Marriott, keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel. I stayed for one night to attend an even at LA LIVE. The lobby is very nicely decor and spacious. Open roof pool on level 4. We stayed at floor 18. I don't like the bars outside my windows. I'm not sure if this applied for the whole hotel but these bars are ugly and they ruin my view. I had a two double beds room and the beds were small for two people. The room was spacious. The bathroom is big but there was no standing shower.
They valet park your car but you have to go down to the garage to pick up. And $42 valet parking is standard at these downtown hotels. You can park across the street for $10 overnight with security and gated. Since I traveled with my family, I had to park at the hotel for convenience. Otherwise, just park across the street.

Stayed April 2014
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I am a loyal Marriott Rewards Member so I am always looking for "deals" for a weekend getaway through the Elite Program. Downtown LA (DTLA) is a great destination even though I live only 45 miles south of Los Angeles. This is the 5th time I have stayed at the hotel and it never disappoints. Look for packages and special promotions - it will most likely be cheaper and it may even force you to get out of the room and explore LA Live and the downtown LA area. We opted for the package that included GRAMMY Museum + Regal Theater + Valet + $50 hotel credit + Deluxe King Room. The room was AMAZING (room 1576). It was an end unit and windows wrapped around the entire large room. The bathroom window wall (yes I said window wall) looked over Nokia Theater and Staples Center as well as the pool. The gym was really nice (they even supplied headphones which was a nice touch) and the $50 credit was perfect amount for a nice room service breakfast. Staff is always great and we always end up at the lobby bar for a nice drink and great people watching (it was the Clippers Playoff Game and FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour so lots of people in the lobby bar!). Make sure you venture out downtown. We love our favorites:

- Bottega Louie is a loud hip restaurant with great upscale pizza/salads/entrees and drink (don't forget all the macaroons and decadent desserts)
- Mas Malo for Mexican Food - ask for "chewy chips" if want something new!
- Seven Grand (a MUST for handcrafted whiskey drinks - ask the bartenders to make you something off menu - you won't be disappointed!)
- Golden Gopher - Cold beer and a great jukebox (trust me!!!)
- Cana Rum Bar (rum bowls, rum bowls, rum bowls)
- Rivera (great menu)
- Alma (make sure you make reservations in advance)
- El Cholo Cantina (wicked Cadillac Margaritas and guacamole)
- Cole's or Philippe's (The Original French Dip Sandwich). My favorite is Cole's (love the atomic pickles!)

You also have your pick from all the "chain" restaurants in LA Live, but our suggestion is to explore the restaurants in downtown - not as many tourists and better food/drink. Tip: for a great view go up to WP24 (located in Ritz Carlton) for appetizers/drinks. Also, catch a performance at Orpheum Theater - it is a great venue to see anyone perform!

Room Tip: Get a deluxe king on the end - amazing wrap around windows and bathroom window wall!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple