“Perfect Downtown LA Location”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #22 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 27, 2014

If you are going to the Staples Center, Nokia Theater, or the Convention Center, this hotel is perfectly located. In fact, the location, with its close proximity to numerous dining and entertainment options, is the best thing about the hotel. The rooms are pretty typical of a Marriott. The lighting in the bathroom was poor and there was no fan in the bathroom, but those are minor issues. Everything else in the room was perfect. The maid service was excellent. I would definitely stay here again. For a quick meal or drink, Tom's Urban and The Yard House are a one minute walk away and are reasonably priced and offer good food. In fact, the breakfast at Tom's Urban was excellent and the place was nearly empty every morning, so I enjoyed amazing service.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,206)

Reviewed April 26, 2014

First time to stay with JW - I think they are emulating the Mandarin Oriental in decor and style - there were some issues with the location - $42 for parking?? Unbelievable... The flashing lights from the big screens on the surrounding buildings were hard to block out with the curtains - great design in the bathroom - high end toiletries. The bed was comfortable - although no international TV stations - that was weird given the location and clientele... $12 for internet - because the can - and the bed skirt was stained - so I don't know if I would stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the plaza with the big screens - they can be really bright at night!!
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this lovely hotel. The rooms were updated and very large. Clean updated bathrooms with view of the Staples Center, and Nokia Theater. I would highly recommend staying here if you plan on staying in the download LA area. Thumbs up JW Marriott, keep up the good work!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel. I stayed for one night to attend an even at LA LIVE. The lobby is very nicely decor and spacious. Open roof pool on level 4. We stayed at floor 18. I don't like the bars outside my windows. I'm not sure if this applied for the whole hotel but these bars are ugly and they ruin my view. I had a two double beds room and the beds were small for two people. The room was spacious. The bathroom is big but there was no standing shower.
They valet park your car but you have to go down to the garage to pick up. And $42 valet parking is standard at these downtown hotels. You can park across the street for $10 overnight with security and gated. Since I traveled with my family, I had to park at the hotel for convenience. Otherwise, just park across the street.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I am a loyal Marriott Rewards Member so I am always looking for "deals" for a weekend getaway through the Elite Program. Downtown LA (DTLA) is a great destination even though I live only 45 miles south of Los Angeles. This is the 5th time I have stayed at the hotel and it never disappoints. Look for packages and special promotions - it will most likely be cheaper and it may even force you to get out of the room and explore LA Live and the downtown LA area. We opted for the package that included GRAMMY Museum + Regal Theater + Valet + $50 hotel credit + Deluxe King Room. The room was AMAZING (room 1576). It was an end unit and windows wrapped around the entire large room. The bathroom window wall (yes I said window wall) looked over Nokia Theater and Staples Center as well as the pool. The gym was really nice (they even supplied headphones which was a nice touch) and the $50 credit was perfect amount for a nice room service breakfast. Staff is always great and we always end up at the lobby bar for a nice drink and great people watching (it was the Clippers Playoff Game and FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour so lots of people in the lobby bar!). Make sure you venture out downtown. We love our favorites:

- Bottega Louie is a loud hip restaurant with great upscale pizza/salads/entrees and drink (don't forget all the macaroons and decadent desserts)
- Mas Malo for Mexican Food - ask for "chewy chips" if want something new!
- Seven Grand (a MUST for handcrafted whiskey drinks - ask the bartenders to make you something off menu - you won't be disappointed!)
- Golden Gopher - Cold beer and a great jukebox (trust me!!!)
- Cana Rum Bar (rum bowls, rum bowls, rum bowls)
- Rivera (great menu)
- Alma (make sure you make reservations in advance)
- El Cholo Cantina (wicked Cadillac Margaritas and guacamole)
- Cole's or Philippe's (The Original French Dip Sandwich). My favorite is Cole's (love the atomic pickles!)

You also have your pick from all the "chain" restaurants in LA Live, but our suggestion is to explore the restaurants in downtown - not as many tourists and better food/drink. Tip: for a great view go up to WP24 (located in Ritz Carlton) for appetizers/drinks. Also, catch a performance at Orpheum Theater - it is a great venue to see anyone perform!

Room Tip: Get a deluxe king on the end - amazing wrap around windows and bathroom window wall!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JBMBZ
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The hotel was nice. The location is great for LA Live. The rooms were good sized. Comfortable beds with nice linens. The staff was friendly
The 4th floor pool area is inviting and you can get some great views of LA Live and the surrounding areas.

My only complaint about the hotel would be the outrageous fee they charge hotel guests for overnight parking. I find it ridiculous, in general, that hotels charge guests to park when they are staying at their hotel but $42 per night is beyond ridiculous!!! There are no other secure parking options available so guests have to pay.

I would never stay at this hotel again based on the fee for parking. This is not Manhattan.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
anna l, Sr. Admin Assistant at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear christyreznor02,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay and location of our hotel! We are sorry we did not meet your expectations in regards to parking. Currently we offer a self- parking rate which is comparable to other full- service properties in downtown, but we understand your frustration with the parking rate. We appreciate your business and hope you will continue to use our facility when in Los Angeles.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed here for a conference for five days and rate this property a 10. I wanted to stay on a concierge level floor, but it was sold out, so front desk representative allowed us access to the executive lounge, which was also amazing. Breakfast in lounge was superb and the staff there was even better. Room was on the 15th floor and had nice view downtown. I dined on property, LA Market, a number of times and the food and service was perfect. Saw a Clippers and Lakers game and it was a 4 minute walk from the property. Room was sizeable and bed was comfy. Lobby was nice and really enjoyed the outdoor couches for waiting on cabs/car service.

Room Tip: Higher floors are best.