“Great experience while attending conference”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #23 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Great experience while attending conference”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference and had a very nice experience. The room was cleaned early in the day, and everything in the room was replenished as expected. The location is good and close to restaurants.

I enjoyed the size of the room and bathroom--not the typical conference hotel in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
LA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The property is right in the middle of the LA Live / Staples / Convention Center area - so very convenient. Other than that it's just an OK Marriott - at least it's modern. Tons of restaurants within seconds out the front and back entrances.

Check-in: American Music Award weekend and only 3 people working fron desk - so of course a line forms - 15 minute wait for no reason... but, early check in allowed and room confirmatin was correct.

Room: Garden variety - about 375 square ft with 2 Full or 1 King. 50" TV with HBO + Sports etc; comfortable bed, pillow and linens. Sitting area by window. Good closet space with safe. Small coffee/tea machine - manual. Mini-Bar, Desk with a number of media outlets. Curtains do a reasonable job of blocking out light - still some view of the 10+ story electronic billboard outside of room - above pool.

Bathroom: Sink was fine. Shower was WEAK pressure and lukewarm tempurature. Tub was slipper and didn' see a mat. Towels were very thin - worn, but ample. Kind of the bare minimum.

Parking: Valet only + $40 per night - ouch.

Lobby Bar - convenient open design. Very SLOW service and expensive. Order and took 20 min. to bring 2 glasses of wine - $45 later... understaffed for AMA weekend.

Check-out. 6 AM and 1 person at desk - line forms. Manager notices and problem fixed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BeachMax
Guy_From_Normal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Really enjoyed the stay at this location. The room (king suite) was modern and very large. The living area was huge and the corner suite looked out over the pool, Nokia Theater, Staples Center, and Convention Center since there were so many windows.
Pros
+ Excellent location for LA LIVE (Staples Center, Convention Center, Nokia Theater etc.)
+ Room was superb
+ Bed and pillows were extremely comfortable
Cons
- Price can be high depending on the time of your stay
- Not a place to have a car (but you may not need one anyway)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

In terms of appearance, modernness and facilities, there is little to fault the J W Marriott at LA Live which appears to be joined at the hip with the group's Ritz Carlton but we won't be going back. Perhaps I am too old but I did not like the environment at all. We got off on the wrong foot when informed that self-park was not an option (except a half-block away) and valet at $40 a night was the only way to go. Although the self-park alternative was quoted at $50 a night (which I did not check) $40 is a lot for something which can be got for $16 a couple blocks away on Figueroa.

The hotel has flashing or pulsing lights inside and out and, as if this were not bad enough, music is beyond intrusive and the selection inappropriate to a communal setting. By the time we came down for dinner, conference guests filled much of the huge lobby and the noise from just their conversation was unacceptably high. The high restaurant prices, although predictable, lowered my mood further.

Service around the hotel was generally good and our spacious room gave no particular cause for complaint. The location is suitable for freeway access and walking downtown but the ambience left us looking for an alternative next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John_Oram_Eats
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I attended a conference there, and though impressed with the conference facilities -- the customer service at the hotel leaves a bit to be desired.

That's not to say the room service and serving staff were not always friendly and quick to say Good Morning or Hello. I'm talking about things that shouldn't be difficult -- like calling the hotel and getting someone to pick up the phone -- tried twice today, and it rang and rang and rang and rang -- to the point that I was cut off. Never have seen that from a hotel.

I called the business center on the Friday before my arrival to get some documents printed so they would be ready when I arrived. Emailed the document to where I was told. Went to the business center on Monday. Blank stare. No job completed. I had to sit there for an hour and format the doc myself to ensure it would print -- then had to help the 'staffer' ensure it would print right side up on the templates. Luckily I wasn't charged for the computer time I had to take to get it done. /sarcasm.

Also, I had the privacy sign on my door for the first day of my trip. Only the first day of a four day trip. Room Service never came. I found random pills under the desk when I dropped my pen. Cleanliness? Not so much.

I checked out via the room / TV checkout and filled out the 'email me my statement' portion. Still haven't received it, which is why I was calling. Apparently I have to send an email to request the email that I already requested.

Probably won't be back.

1 Thank DMallyon
Akron, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

A nice hotel with clean comfortable rooms. LA live is a very vibrant fun section of the city. Lots of great restaurants, clubs and things to see and do. I recently visited and overall my experience was pretty positive. The staff was generally friendly and accommodating. I did however have two instances during my stay that were less that customer friendly, not what one would expect from a JW Marriott. In addition, they charged me a parking fee for a rental car that posted to my credit card after my stay. This charge was not on my bill when I checked out. In addition, I had been assured by the concierge that there would be no charge. Trying to get the charge reversed had been a real hassle and I have since given up on getting my money back.

2 Thank KevinS001
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel and room were very clean and the staff friendly. I stayed here for a concert at Staple Center and another time for a concert at the Nokia. The restaurant inside the hotel is good, but you also have all the options at LA Live. The pool area is beautiful! It overlooks LA Live and the pool bar makes delicious martinis. It was perfect for my wknd getaway.

• Stayed October 2013