WINNER WONDERLAND

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #22 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Virginia
“In the center of everything downtown LA!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is a great hotel if you want to be next to everything downtown LA has to offer. I had some family visiting me in LA and they stayed here for a week. There is so much around, the rooms are large with great views of the skyline, and there is an illy cafe inside (Italian coffee)! The price can be a little steep, especially if you are bringing a car along, but you pay for the location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I'll preface the review by saying that I would only stay in downtown LA if my business brought we to downtown. Otherwise I'd definitely stay in west LA.

That said, I think this or the Ritz are the two places to stay if you have to be in downtown LA. The location to the Staples Center and a bunch of chain restaurants make it nicer than most of downtown. Also the pool and hot tub are nice. The views from the towers are OK. It is basically in the same building as the Ritz. The breakfast was reliable and good. Check-in was efficient.

I would think this hotel would be the place to stay if you had to stay in downtown LA.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Totally digging this place. The pool and jacuzzi are awesome with interesting, comfy places to sit. The location is smack dab in downtown, which I was told was moribund but it's quite lively. Check out the pic for tips for the best view. My room had a view of the pool, Staples Center, LA Live, cool lighting.

Room is spacious, laid out perfectly with a separate coffee station. Lovely modern decor. Big bathroom. Even has an Ethernet cable for a hardwired, faster connection.

Weird: Room was prepped for only one person -- One robe, one caffeinated coffee.

Also, I put the do not disturb sign on door but when I returned there were two cups and two coffees, meaning I was disturbed, which is a little creepy (nothing else was touched).

Another slight issue. I arrived at about 2:00, said room would be ready any minute now. So I camped out for 30 minutes, nothing in sight, so I checked my bag, walked around and didn't get a phone call until about 4:10 pm, which was after 4:00 guarantee. Just a slight annoyance.

Those flukes are the only reasons I didn't give this a 5, but it is certainly 5-worthy.

Kevin, one of the event staff, was completely awesome. You can tell he loves is job. (Big guy ... didn't get a last name ... please pass this along).

Room Tip: See image ... I guess you would call it northeast? You want a view of the pool and Staples Center.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is a perfect location for LA Downtown, accommodation is good. Location is super when you would like to visit LA Live (convention centre,sports, music, restaurants, ect....). Room is clean, service in the bar is excellent. At reception very well received but unfortunately if everything is perfect then always something can happen. But then it is the question how to avoid to upset a guest. My laundry was collected (9am) before requested (10am) time in the morning and for same day return before 7pm. Laundry was not returned before 7pm30, what to do contact by phone: at your service. Got reply we will deliver it to your room a.s.a.p. Went for a quick dinner, returned to my room. Yes, my laundry was returned but in the same laundry bag as collected and not washed. Not even a message with ..... . Contacted "At your service" and requested to speak with duty manager unfortunately he was busy with other client. Was informed I would be contacted immediately after he was finished with client. Waited for his call and after 15 minutes contact again "At your service" were I was informed the duty manager was not available as he was gone for dinner. Of course I requested as soon as he would be returned form his dinner to contact me. 10 minutes late phone call from duty manager. He apologised for the inconvenience. I did not accepted his apology as I believe if you promise to contact your guest you do not go for a dinner, this is not the service you expect to get from this level of hotel. He could not inform me why it was not washed and could understand my situation as I need a clean shirt for my meetings tomorrow. The offer he made was to deduct 70 Usd. from my account (That is all what he could do, Laundry service not possible). I explained him that this is not the way how to deal with me and I would not accept his offer. I believe this duty manager does not understand that for business meetings you need a clean shirt and not a credit on your final payment. Incase you would like to offer something it should be at least one night stay for the inconvenience. Does this duty manager knows what a new shirt cost ??? At least that would cover my expenses to get a new shirt before going to my meetings. It seems that giving service to your guests and try to solve a problem is not easy but thinking about yourself and going for dinner before returning a call to your guest is normal. The hotel management should wonder if this is normal for a perfect hotel as it still is for many guests and me. Or does the duty manger find his position more important then his guests.
Thanks for the nice stay and believe me this should not happen.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rossi R
Beaumont, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

As I write this, my husband is sitting in the lobby..unable to go to the reserved room that my brother in law had arranged.

I understand rules. I understand policy. Given my own personal experience in over 20 years of customer service.... I also understand that every situation is unique.

Not here. Not according to Gretchen. If she makes an exception for us, then she'd have to make an exception for everyone. Right? Wrong answer.

My brother in law is a PLATINUM member with Marriott. He stays there more than he does in his own home on any given month. Unfortunately, some idiot shot up LAX this morning and flights were cancelled. My brother in law won't be able to arrive at the hotel until after midnight. So unless my husband ponies up the hold on a credit card, then he has to sit in the lobby until my brother in law arrives.

Oh wait, did I mention that my husband has a credit card? Yes, it's in my name...however, he has multiple forms of ID and they still refuse to budge. Instead they want to put a substantial hold on his debit card. And will release the hold in a week....or so they say....at this rate... I have little faith in their word.

I want JW Marriott to know that I would rather sleep in my car than ever grace your establishment with my hard earned money. You have lost a customer for life.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Tammie_McD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

My experience at this hotel was similar to my other Marriott stays - nice but not extraordinary. The decor is beautiful and tasteful. The wine bar in the lobby was large and open, with a respectable though limited wine list and excellent service. My room was clean, modern and comfortable. The bed and linens were very nice. The fitness center was also well-appointed and open 24 hours. However, Marriott missed the mark on a few small details that bothered me at $300 per night. I had forgotten a nail file, and since the boutique in the lobby didn't sell such things, I called room service. They promised to bring one up to my room, but never showed. In three days. Also, both pieces of equipment I used in the fitness center malfunctioned, and at 7:00 am on two consecutive mornings, the center was not staffed to address the issue. Finally, I chafed at having to pay $13 per day for WiFi service, though once I did, it was fast and reliable. All in all, a nice stay with a few small annoyances.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank KMacD626
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Awesome hotel ! Stayed here for a night in LA on our way to San Diego and just happened upon it. I was surprised at how contemporary the hotel was . The location is great to as its right by the LA Live convention center.
Had a great time here.. It's a great hotel - just like a JW Marriott should be !

• Stayed December 2012