“Perfect Hotel but somethings should not happen”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Perfect Hotel but somethings should not happen”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is a perfect location for LA Downtown, accommodation is good. Location is super when you would like to visit LA Live (convention centre,sports, music, restaurants, ect....). Room is clean, service in the bar is excellent. At reception very well received but unfortunately if everything is perfect then always something can happen. But then it is the question how to avoid to upset a guest. My laundry was collected (9am) before requested (10am) time in the morning and for same day return before 7pm. Laundry was not returned before 7pm30, what to do contact by phone: at your service. Got reply we will deliver it to your room a.s.a.p. Went for a quick dinner, returned to my room. Yes, my laundry was returned but in the same laundry bag as collected and not washed. Not even a message with ..... . Contacted "At your service" and requested to speak with duty manager unfortunately he was busy with other client. Was informed I would be contacted immediately after he was finished with client. Waited for his call and after 15 minutes contact again "At your service" were I was informed the duty manager was not available as he was gone for dinner. Of course I requested as soon as he would be returned form his dinner to contact me. 10 minutes late phone call from duty manager. He apologised for the inconvenience. I did not accepted his apology as I believe if you promise to contact your guest you do not go for a dinner, this is not the service you expect to get from this level of hotel. He could not inform me why it was not washed and could understand my situation as I need a clean shirt for my meetings tomorrow. The offer he made was to deduct 70 Usd. from my account (That is all what he could do, Laundry service not possible). I explained him that this is not the way how to deal with me and I would not accept his offer. I believe this duty manager does not understand that for business meetings you need a clean shirt and not a credit on your final payment. Incase you would like to offer something it should be at least one night stay for the inconvenience. Does this duty manager knows what a new shirt cost ??? At least that would cover my expenses to get a new shirt before going to my meetings. It seems that giving service to your guests and try to solve a problem is not easy but thinking about yourself and going for dinner before returning a call to your guest is normal. The hotel management should wonder if this is normal for a perfect hotel as it still is for many guests and me. Or does the duty manger find his position more important then his guests.
Thanks for the nice stay and believe me this should not happen.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rossi R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Beaumont, California
Reviewed November 1, 2013

As I write this, my husband is sitting in the lobby..unable to go to the reserved room that my brother in law had arranged.

I understand rules. I understand policy. Given my own personal experience in over 20 years of customer service.... I also understand that every situation is unique.

Not here. Not according to Gretchen. If she makes an exception for us, then she'd have to make an exception for everyone. Right? Wrong answer.

My brother in law is a PLATINUM member with Marriott. He stays there more than he does in his own home on any given month. Unfortunately, some idiot shot up LAX this morning and flights were cancelled. My brother in law won't be able to arrive at the hotel until after midnight. So unless my husband ponies up the hold on a credit card, then he has to sit in the lobby until my brother in law arrives.

Oh wait, did I mention that my husband has a credit card? Yes, it's in my name...however, he has multiple forms of ID and they still refuse to budge. Instead they want to put a substantial hold on his debit card. And will release the hold in a week....or so they say....at this rate... I have little faith in their word.

I want JW Marriott to know that I would rather sleep in my car than ever grace your establishment with my hard earned money. You have lost a customer for life.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Tammie_McD
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My experience at this hotel was similar to my other Marriott stays - nice but not extraordinary. The decor is beautiful and tasteful. The wine bar in the lobby was large and open, with a respectable though limited wine list and excellent service. My room was clean, modern and comfortable. The bed and linens were very nice. The fitness center was also well-appointed and open 24 hours. However, Marriott missed the mark on a few small details that bothered me at $300 per night. I had forgotten a nail file, and since the boutique in the lobby didn't sell such things, I called room service. They promised to bring one up to my room, but never showed. In three days. Also, both pieces of equipment I used in the fitness center malfunctioned, and at 7:00 am on two consecutive mornings, the center was not staffed to address the issue. Finally, I chafed at having to pay $13 per day for WiFi service, though once I did, it was fast and reliable. All in all, a nice stay with a few small annoyances.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank KMacD626
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Awesome hotel ! Stayed here for a night in LA on our way to San Diego and just happened upon it. I was surprised at how contemporary the hotel was . The location is great to as its right by the LA Live convention center.
Had a great time here.. It's a great hotel - just like a JW Marriott should be !

• Stayed December 2012
San Bruno, California, United States
Reviewed October 31, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Everything I come to expect from a Garden Inn. Extremely late check in was no problem and I was greeted by name. Was also placed away from the elevators as asked. Room was very nice, and the breakfast included was great. Lovely hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
College Station, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights on business. It was everything we expected from a modern upscale business hotel. The hotel is new (completed in 2010) and very clean. Our room was large and well lit with lots of space for storing clothes, many electrical outlets for our many gadgets, a large very useful desk, very comfortable bed and pillows, large bathroom with shower and vanity with lots of space for cosmetics. Comfortable couch and desk chair in room. Room was very quiet (6th floor), elevators were fast, staff were very friendly and helpful, check in and check out were fast and efficient. Lots of places in lobby (bar and restaurant) to meet with colleagues to discuss work. The hotel is next door to the basketball arena, close to many inexpensive to moderately priced restaurants. 30 minutes by taxi from LAX, with fixed taxi fee to and from LAX. Very good facilities for business meetings. Good food at concierge lounge–we ate breakfast there each day, and some light food in the evening.

Only problem: for some reason they were unable to deliver Wall Street Journal to our room each morning. Had to go to reception to ask for a copy. This during a convention of CPAs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed October 30, 2013

As a frequent traveler for both business and pleasure, and a Gold Marriott member, I was surprised and disappointed at the experience at the JW Marriott. This is high end Marriott and usually quite satisfying. On at least this occasion, however, a bit of a failure. I hasten to add that everyone on staff was most accommodating and tried to be helpful, but despite everyone's good intentions, the hotel failed in several ways. First the rooms. Ours was on the executive, top floor, but fairly small and not very comfortable as luxury hotels go. The room design was touted in the in-room literature, but colorful brochures do not a comfortable room make. Nor, apparently, do they keep the toilet paper holder on the wall. It was sort of an Asian, sterile design, lacking in warmth and, for seating, provided only a comfort-defying settee that really accommodated only one, and was situated so that it was difficult to, say, watch TV - especially if someone else was parked necessarily on the bed. This little problem, paled however, to the high pitched whirring sound emitted by the air conditioning system whenever it really got going. It kept me up in the early morning hours to the point that I had to r=turn the air conditioning off - unfortunate in LA in October. A hot, stuffy (no open windows), uncomfortable night.

My real problem was with the "complimentary" in-room wifi. Didn't work. I called the front desk from assistance and the very nice operator referred me to a Tech Support number. I spent fifteen minutes on the line with Tech Support, only to be cut off. Called back, reached another tech support person and started the trouble shooting all over again. After a half hour with tech support, I said I had to go to a meeting. Tech support said they would continue to work on the problem, took my number and said they would leave a status message if they couldn't reach me. No message. No nothing. Upon return from my meeting I called tech support again, started the troubleshooting all over again - despite my explanations that I'd already been through the steps they were taking me through now for the third time. Unstoppable, we went through the process again. Time was going by - over an hour on this call - and my timeframe for receiving and acting on email documents I needed from the east coast was rapidly depleting. Finally the tech support person said they would contact the hotel engineering staff and send someone up to test the reception in my room. It was now clear to anyone who uses hotel wifi systems that the network was not accessible from my room. No reception. The engineering staff guy was supposed to test that from my room. I went down to the lobby to try to work, but got a call that the engineering guy was at the room. I returned. Hd was a very nice guy. But instead of testing wifi access from my room, HE called tech support, and, since he was allowed to touch my computer, he walked me through the instructions he was getting on the phone from tech support - THE SAME ROUTINES I'D ALREADY BEEN THROUGH THREE TIMES. Despite my protestations and explanations, and emphatic assertions that the problem was reception in the room (I had no problem with access in the lobby), he was unbowed and we spent another hour running through the same diagnostic routines. Over three hours wasted on this stuff. And the east coast was long gone. Finally the hotel engineering guy called someone else, got off the phone and told me there was a problem with the hotel system and that they were working on the data base. He also told me that although the hotel was 100% full, he could arrange for me to work in another room on the floor for a little while. By this time it really didn't matter much. I said never mind, but he was a nice guy and tried to be helpful. He said he'd call me when the system was fixed. I won't go through the rest - it was never fixed. Odd for a business-oriented hotel. We gave up and went to find some quiet and solace in the executive lounge. It was closed. We went out to the pool area. No evident service. My wife wanted to grab a bite to eat. She found a guy near the pool who was operating something of a bar, apparently incognito. She asked about food and was offered a tired looking veggie wrap. He was a very nice guy. He said it was from that day, but really couldn't recommend it and suggested she go down to the lobby restaurant to find something. the lobby restaurant was closed. She finally picked up a bag of chips in a little shop in the lobby. Having no money, she asked to charge it to the room ($4.00). The clerk was very nice. He went to make the room charge and then informed her that the room was vacant. this came as something of a surprise. Finally he gave her the chips at no charge, saying it was the hotel's mistake. My wife offered to return with the money, but he insisted she take the chips complementary - he was very nice. The good news is that we were only there for two nights, and I was using Marriott points for the stay. The bad news is, I'll never see those points again - wasted on a premium hotel for a less than premium experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family