“Nice but not Luxurious.....”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I can't complain about the hotel at all. It was in a nice location, had some great admenties, and within walking distance of resturants and shows. The room was in descent condition. The bathroom was nice and spacious. However for $500 a nice I expected more. There isn't a luxurious feel at all. It feels clean, updated, and basic instead.

A few things I loved:
Location was nice. Easy to find. Close access to the freeway. Reasonable drive to Hollywood. Walking distance to Starbucks, Wolfgang Pucks, nice Sushi spot, Staples Center, Conga Room, convention center etc. The access was incrediable. There is a nice open bar, coffee shop, a private lounge, and a resturant in the lobby. The room felt clean. The cleaning service came every day. The elevators worked well. And that's about it.

But I expected so much more:
The Valet costs $40 a day, from your room you have to take the main elevator to the lobby then take a different set of elevators down to the valet- I found that to be a minor annoyance. The valet service is ridiculously slow, the airconditioning on the valet level is almost nonexistant, and the valet customer service was consistantly disappointing. For $40 I expected more.
In the bathroom (both shower and sink) the hot water is possibly tooooooo hot (I know what a strange complaint). I almost couldn't wash my face. When both the cold and the hot water are on at the same time the water felt like it was still burning!
The room is not well lit, as a matter of fact it felt like a cave! There is no overhead lighting ane the lamps are dim in the room. We (two young ladies) found it difficult to get ready outside the bathroom. All the service people including the upfront valet guys (who one night wouldn't let me in to park and were rudely telling me they weren't accepting any more vehichles....it wasnt until I snapped and explained I am a guest at the hotel who is already paying $40 to park there today that he went to ask his boss and they let me in??? The nerve of these clowns), the front desk service was ok but nothing exceptional, the wait service provided basic and not above grade service (I observed other patrons complaining to the manager about service they recieved) but the bell servicemen all seemed collectively professional and courtestious.

All in all it's no dump but I expected a more luxury hotel. It's nice but at the basic level. Next time I'll try the Ritz Carlton next door.

Very nice comfy bed though....I slept like a baby every night!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Neisha R

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Shuttle bus (free) to LAX airport from hotel. Strayed 1 night . Staff friendly and helpful..
Room was excellent. Bed was good. Its so close to airport and good value. Booked on line and about $100 Au. Shuttle every 20 minutes to airport. Just short distance also to all Car hire companies (Hertz). Bar restraunt downstairs but expensive.
Recommended.
Australian visitor

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Pros:
Very close to the LA Convention Center and Staples Center.
Large-ish rooms.
Excellent service, very polite and helpful staff.
Good breakfast.
Reasonable bar prices for a hotel in LA.
Central to many restaurants.
Very safe neighborhood.
Very good air conditioning; temperature can be adjusted every 1/2 degree.

Cons:
The bathroom door is a sliding door. Not only is it a bit noisy (which might awaken a light sleeper), it doesn't close snugly, so privacy can be a issue.
One entire wall on the exterior of the hotel has thousands of lights displaying advertisements at night. If you have a room where you can see this, then you will have flashing lights when you're trying to sleep.
Expensive internet access.
Expensive parking.

The service at this hotel is outstanding. When we were leaving, there were so many other guests leaving that there was a 50 minute wait for the staff to get our car. I spoke to the staff, and they comp'ed us the parking fees (3 days worth). Furthermore, there was a 90 minute wait to get a bellhop (again, because so many people were leaving at once); since we couldn't wait, I used the table from room service from the night before. I explained to the staff that I didn't want them thinking I had stolen the table. Not only were they understanding, they comp'ed the previous night's room service.

Needless to say, we left very satisfied and would certainly stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can NOT see the advertising on the external wall.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Booked a room for 4 adults, and I received a 1 king bed. They were over booked, their suggestion a roll away bed and some comforters to sleep on the floor. Sleep on the floor is an option? Not 2 beds, but the floor? How classy. And then I get charge for the roll away bed & charge for parking that was in the lot less than 2 hrs. Not only they could not find my car but I got charged $40 for parking for less than 2 hrs. Customer service is trying to help, but this marriott location is the worst, I'll stay at the other locations for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank YamiShira
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The JW Marriott Hotel is in a great location in Downtown Los Angeles. The hotel is attractive and well appointed and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. The Valet parking is expensive ($40 per night) but this is Los Angeles where parking expensive. Good restaurants in and around the hotel. The staff are attentive and friendly. I recommend staying here when needing to be in Downtown Los Angeles.

Room Tip: Higher floors and corner rooms are best.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed here as part of a convention in January. It is the place to stay for the LA Live area. The front desk staff was very helpful with packages/messages that I had to leave form my colleagues. When I had to print something out in color at 6 AM (the business center didn't open until 8AM and I couldn't wait until then), the front desk staff helped me out.

I had a rental and opted to valet park the car when I checked in. I accidentally left my credit card in the vehicle, which I didn't realize until I was checking in. The gentleman at the front desk tried to chase down my car but the valet had already sped away. When he came back, he still allowed me to check in because I knew the last four digits of the credit card I used to guarantee the room.

I also managed three events while staying at the hotel, and the event services staff went above and beyond to make sure that my events went well. FYI -- if you have an event in their "convention" side of the hotel and need bellman to help you haul items to it, there is a $20 portage fee. Trying to find someone after 10 AM was a bit of a challenge as well.

I dined at LA Market and gLAnce restaurants. Service wasn't the best at the LA Market. I felt rushed through my meal yet ignored at the same time. However, gLAnce was much better and the staff was very knowledgeable about the menu and pairings with wine/cocktails.

The downside is the business center, which is not 24 hours. The kiosks they have outside the center are okay for surfing the web and printing out your boarding pass, but if you needed copies and the center was closed, you're out of luck. For a business traveler who has events that don't coincide with the business center hours, this became a challenge. However, the JW staff helped me out when I asked.

I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just recently stayed at this hotel. Beautiful hotel! Very friendly front desk staff. We had the executive king room overlooking the staples center as well as the nokia theater. Beautiful room! Love the interior decor, bed was very comfortabe! I would recommend this hotel for anyone who values attention to detail in ensuring guest satisfaction. JW Marriot LA is one of the best hotels I have had the pleasure of staying at. I will most definitely make this my primary hotel when staying in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013