“Nice comfy rooms with great view”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice comfy rooms with great view”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend and had a very comfortable stay.
The city view from the room was amazing as the hotel location is quite good.
Loved the room service. Food was quite good!
Would definitely recommend this hotel in LA

Room Tip: Must try the food over here!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed at the JW Marriott for a week long meeting in LA. We checked in mid afternoon on a Wednesday hoping to be able to get around LA a bit. The concierge was nowhere to be found, but the front desk helped. We were hoping to get on some sort of bus tour to take us around LA and Hollywood but according to the front desk those tours were over for the day (we got there about 1 pm) and that there wasn't much to do within walking distance of the hotel. I get it, its LA, most places are a good drive from where you are, and that's fine. We ultimately went to "The Grove" and spent the afternoon there after a good $30 cab ride (each way), and was totally worth it for the star sightings (we saw P Diddy, Mark Wahlberg, and Mario Lopez filming Extra ) and also Gordon Ramsay checking in on his restaurant Fat Cow. Sorry, I digress....The hotel was nicely appointed and was well located for the meeting (about 2 blocks from the LA convention center). Our room was on the "light show" side (facing the LA Live area), but had a great view and the room had blackout curtains if the light show really bothered you.

The hotel restaurant was actually very good, with a decent bar, and also a small coffee shop in the lobby. There were numerous choices just outside the hotel as well, so we didn't ever feel that anything was really too far to get to from the hotel. Whenever we did try to talk to the concierges, they never really acknowledged you and appeared too busy to help. Good thing I wasn't really counting on them to tour LA, so would have given a lower rating if I was there as a tourist vs. a business traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The reception area is large and very stunning with several seating areas, a wine bar and a bar/restaurant all open planned flowing into one another. The check in was very well handled we were off to our room in a matter of minutes. We entered a King Suite, corner location overlooking the pool, Staples Center and LA Live on the 13th floor - what an amazing evening view. The room was contemporary in style and quite large as was the bathroom with shower only HUGE that also had a window overlooking the before mentioned landmarks. Because of it's central location to Trader Vic's, ESPN Zone, Yardhouse, Nokia, Staples, I believe it is the best place (other than the Ritz) to stay if you are going to an event at LA Live. We really enjoyed it. Oh one more thing the Pantry an old LA historic restaurant is also in walking distance and worth the wait!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed at this hotel during a recent conference, had a room on the 14th floor with an unbelievable view of the city.

The Room was one of the nicest I've ever stayed in; new, roomy, clean, beautiful with every convenience.

Hotel lobby was very open and lively. Great place to relax, have a drink, and meet people.

Breakfast is available in the lobby with a buffet option. A bit expensive, but it is LA and it was a nice high quality buffet.

A quick comment and one gripe....

First, the comment, for those of you that are coffee drinkers, there is a nice coffee maker in the room, but it is not Krups or of a K-cup variety. I know how some folks can be about their coffee so I thought I'd mention this.

Now, my gripe, I can't stand hotels that do not offer free wifi. I know it's a minor thing and a lot of hotels do it, but it just irritates me. This hotel charges $10+ a day so be aware.

Other than that, you won't find a better hotel in the area for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the city
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Readers of this review will note that I travel a lot and hotels don't easily impress me. Well, the JW at LA Live did just that. The staff is so friendly, you'll swear they are putting something in the water. From the doormen out front to my housekeeper, everyone was in a good mood and it was contagious. Kudos to Marriott for doing something right to produce such a great staff.

The lobby and public areas of the hotel are gorgeous. The design is eclectic, the textures are rich, and the colors modern. Really nice job.

The room was large and lovely. Being a new hotel, I would have sworn I was the first guest in this room. Sleep quality and linens were fantastic. Even the shower was impressive with much better water pressure than other properties in Los Angeles.

I was in town for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show at Nokia Theater. Excellent location as the JW and Nokia share the same sidewalk and signage. The rest of LA Live presents many options for food and spirits and even with a sold-out game at Staples Center, there was plenty of room for all.

Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Higher floor nets better view of surrounding Los Angeles.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 nights for a conference we attended in mid January. The rooms and restaurants in the hotel are very pricey. We stayed in a King room and it was very nice, the bellman was very friendly, helpful and professional. There were little things that were disappointing for a hotel that promotes classy amenities. For example, there was a coffee maker that brewed one cup at a time, which is fine, however, there was only 1 individual package of regular coffee and 1 package of decaf coffee. The hotel knew there would be two guests staying in the room so they should have stocked the room accordingly. When my husband called front desk to request more coffee, room service arrived with a whole caraffe of coffee and then charged us $12. We realize we were probably unclear when we called, but we shouldn't have had to call in the first place. One day we approached a maid in the hall and requested more coffee packets. 1 additional packet was delivered to our room, but again the next morning when the room was cleaned, only 1 packet of coffee was replaced for the following morning. Our overall stay was pretty pleasant, but when paying for a high-end hotel.....I expect them to pay closer attention to the details.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KristinRoss
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This JW Marriott is a very large property located in the heart of the LA Live entertainment mecca in downtown Los Angeles. My stay lasted only one evening and I was unable to experience the amenities or restaurants offered. Thus, my comments are limited to my actual room and the lobby.

The room itself was relatively large and nicely appointed including a spacious shower. However, many flaws rendered my stay less than satisfactory. First of all, the TV remote was difficult to operate and the hues on the TV itself were an annoying yellowish green tone that made the TV difficult to watch. There was no way to adjust the color hues on the TV; when it's late at night and you're tired, one does not feel like calling hotel maintenance to come to your room and fix the problem.

As I said, the shower was large but poorly designed. In order to turn the shower on to get the water to the desired temperature you had to enter deep into the shower stall itself. Thus, there was no way to accomplish the task of turning the shower on without getting soaked. Furthermore, there was plenty of mold visible on the shower walls.

I liked the fact that the room offered a single serve coffee maker, but only one serving of coffee was actually provided.

Essentially, I got the feeling that the deficiencies and lack of detail were suggestive of a very large hotel that not could not keep up with maintaining a quality environment in the rooms.

The check-in and check-out was efficient and friendly. The lobby itself felt like Grand Central Station. Fine if you like be in a noisy area with a buzz. If you're looking for peace and tranquility, this is not the property for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business