“Great place”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #20 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Very nice new hotel near convention center. I stayed 5 nights in mid-April. The rooms are large and relatively quiet with views. Even from my room only on the 10th floor I could see all the way to the Hollywood sign. A few very small annoyances: the window would make a loud pop periodically during the day and at night. Also housekeeping does not seem to make it around until 3 or 4pm, a little bit awkward since I was attending a convention and would often come back to the room late in the day for a change of clothes after sessions before the evening events. Lesson learned - when I would leave in the morning I requested make up service and it was done right away. Excellent climate control, by the way, that can sometimes be an issue in these big hotels. There is free wifi in the lobby areas, but it is a $12.95/day charge in the room. Parking is $40/night in the garage, there is a surface parking lot that is only $8/day across the street - closer to the freeway. The place handles the crowds well, there were events at Staples Center several nights during my stay and though things get a little busy outside at LALive, the hotel always had things organized. Excellent food at LAMarket. There is a Starbucks just outside in LA Live as well as a dozen or so other restaurants (I recommend Rosa Mexicano!)

Room Tip: Try to get western view to see the Hollywood sign
1  Thank friendlyinsomniac

Reviewed April 20, 2012

this is a new upscale hotel located very close to the convention center. the room is quite nice with superior bedding. there is a convenient mini refrigerator iavailable n the room for guest use which was not stocked with overpriced goods.\

the biggest beef i had was the obnoxious key card needed to access the elevator. It wasnt the easiest to use and really did not provide any security as other passengers would help press buttons without having each pasenger enter there own key card.

I also was locked out of my room as the card was disabled on the day of my departure which required me to wait for security to arrive. another guest accross the hallway was also waiting for the same thing. I also missed my connection to the airport over this screw up.

there are not many choices of hotels in downtown los angles. if you are looking for upscale close ot the convention center this is it.

Room Tip: higher levels have better views
1  Thank USACityPlanner
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed at the JW Marriott for four nights while my husband attended a conference. We liked the modern, comfortable public spaces. Service was friendly and accommodating.
We had a king room on a low (5th) floor. I was concerned about potential street noise, but we never had a problem.
The room was very clean and like new. There was plenty of storage space so we were able to unpack and keep the room tidy during our stay. The room had a small fridge, in-room coffee, a safe, and nice workspace/desk and a small sofa/daybed. There's a charge for wireless internet in the room, which I find ridiculous. There were plenty of electrical outlets so we could charge our various devices with outlets left over and without putting them on the floor.
The bathroom had only a shower--no tub--with a really, really lame water saving shower head. We thought it actually wasted water, as we took three times as long in the shower trying to rinse. The bathroom also had a magnification mirror, which I appreciated. There is a shortage of counter space and no shelf, so even if you pack light on toiletries you might find yourself hard pressed to find places to put your things.
The gym was good, with plenty of treadmills, ellipticals, and two upright bikes. I noticed one recumbent bike. The equipment was in good condition and worked for the most part. One morning two of the treadmills were out of order in a continuous initializing mode. There were also weight machines, free weights, exercise balls, medicine balls, and a small open space.
The only thing that slightly marred my stay was an incident early one morning. A gentleman got on the elevator with me and pushed the button for a different floor. He exited the elevator on my floor and seemed to be following me. I stepped aside to let him pass and was very surprised to see him stop at my room and proceed to bang on the door and shout for the occupants to open it. When there was no response, he asked the maid to let him in to the room because, he claimed, there was an emergency in there. What disturbs me is that the maid appeared ready to open the door for him until I stepped forward and said it was my room. Once I did that, the man said he was on the wrong floor, apologized, and rushed off. It seems that the maids should not randomly open rooms for people claiming to have emergencies. I would think SOP would dictate that security be summoned first.
Despite that incident, we enjoyed our stay and found the JW Marriott comfortable. I stuck to public transit rather than fussing with a rental car and found that the hotel was well situated with a lot of transit connections close by.

1  Thank athena-fl
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference I attended at the L.A. Convention Center. The location is certainly fantastic as part of the L.A. Live entertainment complex (including Staples Center, Nokia Theater, Grammy Museum and many restaurants) and walking distance to a subway stop and much of downtown L.A.

The hotel is very nice and the rooms well-appointed and clean. My complaints about the service are minor, but due to their number, worth mentioning. First, I had reserved a room with a king bed and I was given one with 2 doubles. No big deal. Next, when I opened the refrigerator, there was a glass of dark liquid with a lime and a straw sitting there along with a piece of pie in a plastic container. Not very appetizing. Next, after the second night, they neglected to make up the room as of 5:30 that day. I called the front desk and it was done while I left for dinner. Finally, this final cleanup of the room must have been done in a hurry since when I went to make coffee the next morning, I found that the coffee supplies had not been replenished. Each of these is a minor offense, but taken together show a lack of care on the part of what is supposed to be an upscale hotel.

Finally, while not uncommon, there is a charge of $12.95 for internet access. Again, not bad, but an annoyance for a hotel of this class.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Convention Center have great views of Staples Center and the plaza of the L.A. Live...
1  Thank gino4634
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed here for one night when we had tickets for the Lakers game in March 2012. Great location for LA Live and the price is reasonable for what you get. The hotel lobby was really busy because the Marathon was on and the weather was horrendous. We were really impressed by the valet attendants, as we were returning our Hertz rental at the hotel when we arrived. They took the car from us and brought it back to Hertz. Hertz followed up with a call to our room later in the day, to tell us everything was fine with the return. The check-in is fast and efficient. The rooms are spacious, clean and there is complimentary bottled water (which is always appreciated). The only downfall is the breakfast at The Market. Service is non-existent, it took forever, the food was ok and the bill was $70.00 for three. Eat out if it's not a hurricane outside!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pickering4
Reviewed April 16, 2012

JW Marriott in downtown LA is about half a block from Staples Center. So, if you are there to watch a game (like we did) - this is the place to be. Around the area are several good & diverse eating places. Check-in was fairly quick. The hotel room is nice & spacious. There is coffee and comp water bottles waiting in your room Bathroom has a shower only - but it was relatively large. Rooms were generally quiet - but we were in the 17th floor. Conceirge was very helpful and there are a couple of terminals in the lobby just for airline check-in purposes.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alma W
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel! Right in the center of everything you need to have a good time in LA! The rooms are very spacious and inviting. I will definitely go back and stay here! The staff was nice and very personable.