“Best Business Hotel in Downtown L.A. - By Far”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I have stayed at the JW Marriott several times, and have always had a great stay. The Executive King rooms are only slightly more expensive, and are huge, quiet, and very pleasant. I have stayed at many of the large business hotels downtown, and most of them are shabby, old, dirty, or some combination. This one is not -- the place is brand new, bright, airy, and pleasant. Lots of restaurants within 100 yards. Service is great and very friendly. Don't bother staying at the Ritz -- it is in the same building, and is much more expensive for a room that is not that different. Overall, the JW does NOT have the feel of your typical Marriott -- while those are nice enough, this place is something special. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Executive King -- much nicer and hardly more expensive.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE

Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed here this past weekend with 3 other friends. As soon as we pull up, $40 charge for parking and having access to your car during your stay to take it in and out. Upon check in, we're told we have to pay a $50 deposit for the room, even though we spoke to the hotel numerous times about the total costs, nobody mentioned this. But we completely understood and we were told the money would be returned immediately after check-out. We make our way to the room and as soon as we get there, a group right behind us, that had just checked in as well, had been given the same room. We're then reassigned to a room that wasn't nearly as nice, but we didn't complain. We then learn about the $15 dollar charge for WiFi, but definitely remembered the hotel offering free internet for their guests on their website. Then, check-out. Complete disaster. Since it was a few of us staying together, I paid for the deposit and one paid for the room. Apparently when we checked in, the $50 was a charge instead of a hold. So on the other card they had charged the remainder of the costs. Which screwed the plan my friends and I had. They try to fix it, and they charge the full amount on the intended card, and tell me it may be a week before I get my $50 back. EVEN THOUGH WE WERE TOLD I COULD GET IT IMMEDIATELY AFTER CHECK-OUT. Our group is obviously irritated at this point, but their employees did little to nothing to help the situation or explain what they were doing with all these charges. They tell me that I can get my $50 back if I call my bank and tell them to release the money to my account, which I shortly did after, but the bank tells me I'm pretty much SOL because the Marriott needs to handle this first. I go online to check what the status of this charge was, and learn that another $47 charge from the Marriott has been made. I called the Marriott several times trying to resolve the issue, but everybody was just telling me they don't know why certain charges were made but they assured me it was being credited the money back and it was just my bank that needed to release the money. My bank again, tells me they have no control over the money and suggest I wait a few days for the money. The $47 was deposited back into my account the next day, but not the $50. Again, I call the Marriott to find out what's going on and they tell me THE SAME THING, that they've released the money. So I figure I would wait a little longer. Then today the $47 is taken out from account..... I'm soo done trying to figure out what the hell this place is doing. Cool place, cool room, but our stay and the employees were mediocre to say the least. I will not be returning nor do I encourage any future business for this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BERTTLES
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at King Executive room for 2 nights. Had great corner window with views and
extra large window in the bathroom. Everything was brand new, very stylish. Had love sofa, single sofa and work chair, plenty of room to play and work. Had great signal for internet, too. I considered to stay at the Ritz but Rita wasn't abailable so I chose JW Marriott. It was more than $100 cheaper for the same size room and I was very happy about it. Can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Miracosta
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a very nice property in a nice and central location of downtown Los Angeles. The valet parking was efficient and friendly (a little pricey at $40), as was check-in. Staff was friendly and helpful. We had a very nice room with a view of the swimming pool. The room was clean and spacious with a very nice bathroom. The shower had great water pressure with hot-hot-hot water (which I loved).

My only critique would be that while our room overlooked the pool, it also looked out onto the Ritz Carlton as well as the Nokia Center. This itself was not a problem - however, both of these buildings are very lit up at night (with blue and red lighting) and the drapes in the room were not heavy enough to block out the light. Thus, quite a bit of light crept in and the room was not fully dark. That may not be an issue for some people, but I feel it's worth a mention.

The only reason I do not give it 5 stars is because of what I mentioned above about the lighting - AND - I do not consider this hotel to be a 5 star property (like the Four Seasons or Ritz), and I also did not utilize amenities such as bar, restaurant, swimming pool, concierge, etc.

We paid right about $200 - I consider that to be a decent price for the quality of this property - I believe the rooms sometimes go for in excess of $300+ at which point I would probably stay at the Ritz because I don't believe this hotel warrants a rate of over $300 per night.

In summary, we had a good experience and would stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Rooms were nice and there were restaraunts near. However, limited access to shopping near by.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The title says a lot. Location is good. Hotel's exterior, the entrance and the restaurant area are fresh. The rooms are different and do not match the looks of the hotel (bit musty). Wireless is on and off. Staff is professional and not exceptionally kind. I will only go back to this place when offered a great deal and if I need be in that area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband was on a business trip that took us to LA.  It was my first time to this part of California and I didn't know what to expect for a downtown location. Luckily I really liked this hotel.

The check in/out desk is right as you walk in; the lobby is beautiful and has a very smooth flow to it.  Valet parking was quick and easy and was also right at the front door.

There are a lot of places to eat within walking distance.  LA live is literally right beside the hotel as is a Starbucks that opens early! (which was great if your from the East coast)

The room we had was a corner suite that was just lovely! It had super cute furniture and a very large bathroom with great decor.

The staff was friendly and seemed very attentive.  The hotel is clean and maintained. All in all, hotel was very pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2011