“Simply not worth the price”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #23 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Longmont, Colorado
“Simply not worth the price”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

My advice is to avoid this upholstered cesspool like the plague. Even though I was travelling on business, had a confirmed (and paid for) room, I was unable to check in without a credit card. After much dancing I got it arranged but corporate has no flexibility and no mercy - all for the sake of 'possible incidental charges' (there were none, I used none of the additional services, thanks Marriott!). The room, on entry seemed clean enough but on close inspection I found long black hairs in the bathroom sink (I have photos) and curly brown (pubic??) hairs on the shower soap dish. YUCK. Housekeeping eventually (1 hour+) showed up to reclean the bathroom, no apology from the non-english-speaking staff. While I waited I tried to get a snack and a drink. Drinks you can get - that's the ONLY vending there is in the entire building. $1.25 bottle of Coke in hand I checked the room service menu - $14.95 was the cheapest item, club sandwich. Nearly $15 for a SANDWICH? Unless it's delivered by a naked dancing girl that's too much. No, dancing girls not available. Attempted to have pizza delivered - only Pizza Hut apparently pays the kickback and is allowed to deliver there. $15 got a large pepperoni delivered (and was quite good). Tried to call home - cordless phone handset dead, despite 'charge' light. Corded phone would not reach desk area - also had a ring loud enough to startle me and no obvious control to turn down. Cheap and flimsy set to boot. Cinema-size television had extremely weak and very directional remote (cheap) that took several seconds per channel change (television signal obviously delivered via house computer network) and dropped out / broke up / went dark a LOT. Nice robe in closet for use in spa - size far too small for average guy like me, unless I wanted to flash the other guests, so no spa for you. I decided to try and get some work done - wireless NOT free (don't buy the dodge about 'free wireless in the lobby' - you get one hour and your machine is locked out by MAC address, contrary to staff's hopeful fibs, besides I paid for a ROOM to work in). Not willing to cough up $15 a night (!) for likely awful service I resorted to local Starbucks for my email and web support. After the event I worked, our team gathered for a drink in the bar - their 'best' single-malt scotch? Glenlivet. Waiter had no idea what any of the other truly good malts were - and took 15 mins to deliver one drink with the lounge virtually empty. Motivation obviously pretty low despite the tony ambiance. The lobby was filled with ear-hurtingly-loud boom-boom disco music even in the morning... not sure what that says about the place. My guess is the manager was on vacation. Combine that with the must-have-room-card-to-access-elevator (for every single guest - some trips took nearly five minutes to go through the foolishness of card-in/punch floor) and the 1960s style (ie hideous) furniture with lots of sharp corners (ow) and I felt very unwelcome.

The Holiday Inn in Fremont made me feel so much more welcome - and was far less than half the price.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Mateo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed 4 nights at the nearly new JW Marriott Los Angeles at LA LIve. That last tag refers to the hotel's location in the new restaurant and entertainment complex connected with the Staples Center and the LA Convention Center. It is only a few hundred feet out the back door of the hotel to the Staples Center and a bit further to the convention center. On week days the hotel was primarily occupied by convention goers with name badges.

This upscale hotel is very nice and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I had an executive king on the 17th floor. This room category is somewhat larger than a standard room. On the two days when the air was clear I had a spectacular 180-degree view all the way to Santa Monica, including the Hollywood sign and the Griffith Observatory. On the two hazy days the view lost its special appeal. Below was the I-110 freeway which I, surprisingly, never tired of looking at. The Santa Monica freeway was visible in the distance so I could judge how free-flowing or clogged the freeways were. The room was well insulated for sound and the freeway noise was only a low hum which was not objectionable and seldom noticed. There were two large view windows in the main room and a third large view window in the bath. Because there are no nearby buildings I left the blinds up except to sleep.

The bath is large with a very large shower. There is no tub. There was lots of storage space and closet space. The room came with a safe and a robe, but no slippers. The TV is 42-inch. There was a large desk facing one of the windows which provided a pleasant place to work night or day. Room lighting was excellent and some lights had dimmers. There was a fairly comfortable lounge chair.

The restaurant was good for breakfast. I found ordering from the menu was cheaper than having the buffet. I ate one dinner in the restaurant and found it fine. There are many other restaurants within one block. Everything looks relatively new.

The hotel decor is modern. The public spaces are loud, but my room was quiet except for the freeway hum.

Valet parking is $40 per night which is steep. The valet service was very good. Internet access is $12.95 per day. The internet connection was excellent.

This hotel is costly, but it is a very pleasant place to stay, especially if you are going to the Staples Center or convention center.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

My husband was put up here for work so I stayed with him. I can't imagine paying to stay here! They were out of king beds, so we got a double room. The two beds are tiny - seem smaller than our full bed at home. There was food left in the refrigerator from a prior guest, that we didnt find until our second day there - gross! Smelled really bad. The bathroom floor needed cleaning. The paper sleeve over one of the glasses was stained with something. One of the face clothes was dirty. One of the pendant lights is out in the bathroom. Lots of details that look rushed - i.e. space between tile and carpet, trim along the wall. Stuff I really don't mind seeing at a Holiday Inn for $60 a night...but really...this is supposed to be luxurious.

The lobby is gorgeous, the food is amazing, the room service has been good. I am just not impressed with the room cleanliness and attention to detail. Especially at a $300 a night rate.

(though I do know they are sold out...so perhaps they just don't care!)

Los Altos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

I cant really fill this space up with enough information i was only there one night but this hotel is SUPER AWESOME!!! the staff and everybody are very nice!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I had been wanting to stay at this hotel (or the adjoining Ritz Carlton) since I saw it being built on my frequent trips to LA. Excellent! I knew that it being a JW Marriott was going to cost me a pretty penny if I wanted to stay here. My husband and I stayed overnight as a surprise for his birthday. We stayed in a corner suite that was quite spacious, very hip and beautifully decorated with nice views of downtown. The front desk lady even escorted us to the elevators while giving us her 2 minute introduction of the hotel amenities; she was actually quite flirty with my husband which was interesting, but whatever.... The lobby is very open and inviting since its a thruway to all the LA Live stuff just outside the door. I invited about 2 dozen of my husbands friends to meet us in the lobby area for some drinks. There wasn't even a need to reserve any of the lobby areas since its so open and spacious, there was plenty of seating. Breakfast was also delivered to us in the morning and it was delicious. We were able to enjoy the pool and the bar that had music. The bill was pretty high at the end of our weekend, but I didn't expect anything different because of the brand and the location. I'd probably stay again if I wanted to splurge for a weekend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dexter619
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

I stayed for two nights while attending a conference and have no complaints. I paid $235 per night (before tax) which seemed reasonable for LA. Very nice, large room with nice touches like motion activated night light in the bathroom. Good bed and linens. Since there was no meal on my flight, I was hungry at arrival and got a nice sandwich at the shop in the lobby for only $6.50 - much less than I expected. The immediate neighborhood is nice, with about a dozen (mostly chain) restaurants.

Kirkland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

Visited Staples Center with kids to watch basketball and hockey. Superb location. Designer style evident in the hotel and area. Check-in was slow, but the room was very clean and well presented. All facilities of course brand new. Staff a little standoffish, but I would certainly return. Paid $200 inc tax and breakfast for a night which for the location was excellent value.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family