“not impressed”
Review of Crown of India

Crown of India
Ranked #1,812 of 9,953 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Hollywood
Saint Louis, Missouri
“not impressed”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I feel like the meal was over priced. They try to make it fancy with cloth napkins and such but when I unfolded mine it was disgusting. There were stains of black and white on it and it made me think if they don't clean the napkins what else isn't clean. The highlight of the food was one of the chick pea vegetable sides that was the only thing I really enjoyed. My lamb was over cooked and the rice had no extra seasoning. The naan tasted a little like liquorish which I am not a fan, nor have I ever had naan that had that flavoring before. ( I don't know if it is normal or not.) They also give you a salad, which is just lettuce cabbage and dressing on the side. All and all the cleanliness on it's own made me not want to come back and there are plenty of other Indian food restaurants in the city.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank LeahWynn

Sydney
“Average”
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Not an authentic Indian fiod experience by any means, but its ok. The area is also a bit dodgy. I'm sorry to say I wouldn't go back.

2 Thank Vagabondy
“Best Indian food ever in EIGHT years.”
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

The only other place in the whole of Los Angeles, where Indian food tastes authentic Indian. The veg.jalfrezi with its the aroma of bell peppers is so intoxicating. The base gravy curry for any dish tastes different here, unlike many other places. The second best dish I order here is the veg.kofta, again it is spectacular. I have eaten other dishes here, but these two are my favorite ever, limited to vegetarian diet. I also get a side of sliced onions just to entice and please the taste buds even more.

Other Indian restaurants need to lure customers by offering groupon or yelp deals.

If you like this review please vote.

2 Thank ubviswa
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food for a great price!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We live in LA, so we usually do take-out. However, we've eaten at the restaurant and had the same wonderful experience. As others have pointed out, this restaurant is in a strip mall, so it isn't really anything to write home about. Nevertheless, the food is outstanding! I LOVE the chicken Bhuna, Vindaloo, and Butter dishes. If you like it spicy, they will deliver! One great part of dinning in is BYOB policy with NO extra charge. If you forget, there is a convenience store in the same strip. So, if you are doing LA on a budget but still want to enjoy an evening meal, give Crown of India the chance to impress you with their food!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank plrand25
Tucson, Arizona
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Not the grandest part of town to say the least, not in the fanciest strip mall either and certainly not the most exciting ambiance, however it's clean, the service was fine and the food was excellent. I ordered the lamb bhuna full meal; which comes with rice and two sides, naan and either a salad or raita. I asked for the spicy side of medium knowing that many Indian restaurants tone it down for American wimps. Not here. It was ....quite zippy. My sinuses were certainly drained. If you want medium, order medium. It'll be fine. Also, one of the side dishes I was served, begen bharta, an eggplant dish, was amazingly good. And I don't normally like eggplant. Great flavor. Glad I took a chance on Crown of India. I got the take out menu, but I don't think the y deliver to Arizona.

• Visited July 2011