“The worst place to stay in Los Angeles”

Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have been in this hostel with my sister last spring and I can say that this is really THE WORST HOSTEL where I have been. It is dirty, the rooms are very old and the staff is very very very unkind. I strongly do not recommend this hostel. UGLY...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
11  Thank D P

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Very good for the price in LA!
The hotel is clean, nice bed! The have round the clock security. NO AC in any rooms so if it is going to be hot and you need AC then choose another hotel. That was not a problem for me. I found the hotel to be quite charming and the breakfast was a bonus. Waffles and good teas available and it was free. Parking next door is a rip off but we found a lot 2 blocks away for half the price so look for it. Staff was helpful and bus stops just outside. Subway is a few blocks away.
Reminds me of a European hotel and I liked it very much. Will stay there again and use all the money I save on dining and shopping. btw the area closes up early so if you want to go out you will need a car. Enjoy

Room Tip: corner room so you are close to the shower
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hedy_13
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Firstly, this is not a hotel. It is most definitely a hostel. The rooms are very basic with no storage space at all. This is ok if you're staying for one or two nights but we stayed for 4 nights so we would have preferred to have somewhere to put our things. There was also no safe in the room and the windows didn't lock. The rooms were extremely noisy, especially at night. If you are staying on a Saturday night be sure to request a room at the back of the hotel because we were kept up by traffic and sirens until about 4am. The breakfast is included but again is very basic. The hotel is situated in downtown LA. There are a lot of homeless people surrounding the hotel during both the day and night. Public transport is good and cheap but as two females we didn't feel safe taking this at night therefore found ourselves paying a lot out in taxis. There are lots of nice places to eat and drink in downtown but again we felt we had to get taxis to these locations as it wasn't pleasant walking around the streets after dark. Downtown itself is full of vintage shops and interesting shopping but its not the best place to walk around. The hotel was very cheap and therefore we probably did get value for money but as the title of this review suggests BE PREPARED! The rooms are small, noisy with no safety measures. However they were very clean. The location is ok but unsafe at night so you have to use expensive taxis and the staff are not very helpful. If I was to visit again I would look at investing more in a hotel more centrally located or generally in a safer neighbourhood that allowed us to walk around at night more freely and was quieter. This hotel is in a good location to take the bus to Vegas. The pick up point is a couple of blocks from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room as far away from the main road as possible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank aimee1304
Reviewed September 5, 2013

It is my first day in this hotel and here what happens first they don't take cash so they almost refuse to check me in. I have to say that I had already pay all my stay. I finally find a solution but the staff was so rude. No elevator from the lobby and the longest elevator ever to go to the 6 floor. No wireless iin the bedroom and really slow in the lobby and first morning bedroom invaded by roaches the biggest I be never seen I I am living in atl! Oh no a/c it is really hard to survive in this bedroom plus problem with water sometimes it is not running . No shuttle for the airport! And not a good neighbor! Don't go there!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Ge H
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I liked this place. It was central. Great foyer, really, like old world style. Room was ok, shower ok, Computer use available and breakfast included. Reception able to handle questions comfortably. Used mainly but not exclusively by young people.

Room Tip: If you want a private shower ask for a room that has one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jasdo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for work convention and being $150-200 cheaper than anything else I figured I could put up with a few nights in the Fashion District. Everything about the hotel was fine, people complaining should realize that it's still a hostel. Which is why I got a private room & bathroom. But with hair on my bed upon check-in, NO AC in the summertime in LA, no wi-fi, and the bathroom layout being odd, it did make for a somewhat uncomfortable stay. The shower shared a floor with the toilet so the entire bathroom floor gets wet. The toilet is oddly positioned so I kinda had to sit sideways when I did my business. Ultimately it was fine for what it was cause I wasn't expecting much.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Reg P
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We picked this as a central location at a reasonable price. In hindsight we should have either paid more for another hotel in the city centre or stayed further out. Parking the car cost us $15 per night in a private parking area , not connected to the hotel, but the car was safe and we could come and go at ant time between 7am and 11pm.
The reception was helpful. We upgraded to a room with a shower rather than the booked room with shared facilities. The room was small and very basic , IKEA furniture, no chairs or table , no fridge, no coffee machine, no microwave and no air conditioning. Luckily it was a cooler period and the roof fan and open window sufficed.
Breakfast was in included in the price. However it was mainly stodge. The layout of he food was poorly organised with guest having to crossover each other - the cereal came before the bowls, the cutlery was on another table and the milk was on another table with the coffee.
The Internet/wifi was located only on the 8th flooring in one room to be shared by all guests. This is a poor and not well thought out solution to modern day Internet use while travelling.

We would not recommend this location.

Room Tip: If staying here get a room with a shower.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple