“Cheap place, thats what you get!”

Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We payed very cheap for our stay, but the next door parking lot charged us 15usd the overnight.... So, I´m not sure if it was worth it..... The decoration of the lobby is really nice,and they have a nice space with 6 MAC computers for the guests to use. We stayed on a private room, not a shared one, the decoration was also nice, but the carpet was pretty dirty... the bathroom was clean but the shower was really small and dark. The neighborhood at night is really frightening, many homeless people around, I mean hundreds of them... But during the day its not that bad. On the block the hotel is located, there aren´t many stores, but if you walk heading the "Jewelry Center" there are Starbucks, Bakeries, the Rite Aid market, and many other places around. Well, what I can say overall, is that if you are alone, and you haven´t find anything cheaper, then, it´s an ok place to stay. But if you´re going with your family I wouldn´t recommend!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BrasilianCouple1

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in! (and I've stayed in my fair share of questionable locations) The lobby is totally deceiving considering it looks like it belongs to a nice hotel, which the cecil is not!

My group payed $125 for a room with a double bed and private bathroom, the fact that I had to specify private bathroom should've have been a tip off. Upon arriving EVERY SINGLE staff member was horribly rude for no apparent reason. As we were being checked in we were reminded that the hotel has a no smoke policy, which is not evident by the smell of the entire place. Our room smelled like a wet cigarette box where we also found at least 3 cigarette butts laying on the floor. The bathroom door did not shut and the shower was the most painful shower I've ever taken (it either felt like needles hitting my skin or a mini fire hose). The "no visitors upstairs" policy is absolutely ridiculous seeing as we had a third member in our party who was not even allowed to come upstairs to wait for her ride.

Normally I feel that people who write reviews have really high standards but that is not me. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. It's not even that cheap for the amount of hassle it caused. I'm pretty sure if there is ever an earthquake anyone who is in that hotel is surely doomed.

Room Tip: Just do not stay here, that is my advice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
39  Thank Katerufio
Reviewed October 31, 2012

There's one staff in the reception who's very rude. I think everyone who stayed here knows her! Be careful if you want to stay here because it's dangerous to walk at night outside. My friend was mugged on his way back to this hotel.

The room is descent and clean but that's it. Breakfast is terrible.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jayps17
Reviewed October 30, 2012

location of the hotel is so unsafe. homeless people are around the hotel and when you go out starts to follow you. rooms and beds are OK but breakfast is terrible. there's only one option you can choose. it's corn flakes. so much noise in the street and hotel you can not sleep well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank gorki222
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed in a single room with private bathroom and I spent about 40 dollars for night. The room wasn't super but ok for 40 dollars. A very beautiful room in Beverly Hills could have been at least 150-200 dollars per night, but I just needed a place to sleep after long walks visiting the city and the surroundings, so Cecil Hotel was perfect for me. The cleaners came every day, the breakfast was included and was simple but enough. The area is very beautiful with amazing buildings all around and the metro is at less then 10 minutes walking. The problem was the noise by night of the sirens of the ambulances, the police, vans fire...
Another problem was represented by the thousands of homeless people "living" downtown and that doesn't bring value to the hotel's location or joy to your heart.
So if you want to save money and spend more on eating, amusement and souvenirs, this hotel is perfect for you, especially if you travel alone or with young friends; if you want a peaceful or a romantic atmosphere, you must choose another place, but you will pay much more.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank LukeLosAngeles
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Great location, helpful staff, clean rooms and good value. To people complaining about street noise, what do you expect, it's downtown LA!! Beds were comfortable and I enjoyed my stay there. Would recommend getting private bathroom as opposed to shared bathroom for convenience. Will definitely be making a return visit when I go back to LA. :)

Room Tip: Choose rooms with own bathrooms, because shared bathrooms are a bit inconvenient.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kimberly A
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Great location. Unbeatable prices. Room clean. Good common spaces. Excelent pc free to use. Breakfast ok and pop corn for all at 4pm. Wifi for free. Really a bang for the buck. Unluckyly one day the room was not cleaned and the bed not set: when i went back in the evening none could explain why or solve the problem. That was really the only issue.

• Stayed: October 2012