“A delicious pie with a mosquito inside”

Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Great location. Unbeatable prices. Room clean. Good common spaces. Excelent pc free to use. Breakfast ok and pop corn for all at 4pm. Wifi for free. Really a bang for the buck. Unluckyly one day the room was not cleaned and the bed not set: when i went back in the evening none could explain why or solve the problem. That was really the only issue.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My son and I had to visit supliers downtown LA and we didnot want to spend money but bying things. $75 a nigh for two with breakfast was just perfect for us. Also we were just blocks away to where we had to go.
Very efficient when reservation or checkout and with normal service for all purpose.
Building is very old but they provide clean and confortable beds and private bath with hot water, what else can you ask for that price?
Because breadkfast is allways the same, after two days we went two blocks away and had a nice meal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank CarlosCR49
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Located next to the cecil hotel in downtown LA this is a modern budget place to stay. I had a private room with double bed, private shower and toilet but the majority of rooms are shared with shared bathroom facilities in the hall. Very noisy outside with lots of shouting and sirens throughout the night. Free breakfast is cereal and coffee but still a welcome touch for hungry travellers as well as free popcorn. Its true that the internet did not work in the room but there is a communal lounge where it works.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MissBoo
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We're a young couple and don't mind staying anywhere as long as it has a clean bed and decent bathroom, but we are not unhygienic. We knew we were having a shared bathroom but ended up not even using the showers. The toilets are in funny little rooms with not much leg room, the doors don't lock very well (as we found out!), and there are no sinks. You have to wash your hands in your room, which means touching several doors and your room key with germy hands. It also makes it inconvenient if you were nipping to the loo before going out. Not nice. We ventured into one of the bathrooms, and the floor was completely flooded and filthy. So no showers for us. The few showers on each floor are also shared between quite a few people so not the cleanest. The room itself was ok, the bed clean. It was quite noisy and the room was very hot. Breakfast was ok (cereal and toast) but the eating area was not nearly big enough. We booked it because it said it was close to Union Station - it is fairly close, but if you don't want to walk through streets of homeless druggies, take the bus. Overall, not a great area safety-wise and not a super-clean place, but if you want budget, it may be worth the risk.

2  Thank assam_betty
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Hi,
a couple of advantages: The location is quite central. Busstop and subway station are in walking distance. Union station isn't that far either. Interiors were modern, private bathroom was ok, but a little run-down. Breakfast was alright, although the selection is pretty small.

Disadvantages: -- Foremost, the rooms have no air-condition. That means you will feel like a turkey in the oven, even if the outside temperatures are mild. This building heats up in no time. Only lobby and the corridors are cooled. I absolutely recommend not to go there in summertime. --

- WiFi only in the lobby. No reception in the rooms.
- This city is loud. Sirens, busses, people and all seem to concentrate in downtown. With no other choice than leaving the window open (no air condition) the sleep quality is miserable, especially with room temperatures around 90, even at night.

- The service was pretty rude in my opinion. We and two other couples arrived 20 minutes before check-in time and were told quite brusk to sit down and wait. Well, no problem, we were early...30 minutes after check-in time they called us up and told us that the room wasn't cleaned yet. We waited another 30 minutes and asked when we could expect to be checked in. We were just tired from the transatlantic flight and not willing to argue, so we kept waiting. After another 30 minutes or so I asked more demandingly, but still friendly. She finally checked us in then. Right when we came up the cleaning team opened our door and started (!) to clean the room. So we continued to wait...The next day with different staff it was way better and more polite. Maybe I picked a bad day to go there...

Room Tip: Don't go there during summer or late summer. I absolutely recommend taking a room with a private...
1  Thank PHILIPP S
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Do not visit this hotel under any circumstances in the summer or fall. Even though at night it was'nt that hot outside, mild even, the rooms were hot like an oven. No Room except the lobby has an air condition. The other hotel rooms only have a fan on the ceiling. Have fun sleeping at 90 degrees Fahrenheit plus the noise from outside - police sirens all night, literally. The WiFi is only available in the lobby. Fortunately we had a room with a bathroom so we could shower every ten minutes. I can't imagine how the other guests in the rooms without bathrooms survived. I saw them running to the sink in the kitchen all the time. The freezer there did also not work. And if that wouldn't be enough, it's also kind of expensive. But I guess you can't avoid that in Los Angeles. If you have a car you have to pay even more. The receptionist recommended a parking lot nearby that costs 40 § a day, because they don't have their own.
So for all of these reasons I highly recommend not to visit the Stay on Main.

3  Thank Felix S
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Whatever some people here say. I think it is the fairest hotel in downtown. Neighboorhood is totally save during daytime and I felt save during the night, too. Just don't stare at people and walk your way. The hotel is only 2-10 blocks away from the POIs in Downtown so everything in walking distance. I booked a room WITH shower(I would suggest that to everybody) and it is what you pay for. The accomodation was easy but not bad, the bed was ok and everything was totally clean. I had fresh towels, all brand new and totally clean. Bathroom was clean, didn't find a single hair or anything else on the floor. The staff was friendly all the time and they really try to get better. Hallways were painted for example while I was there. Why I write this review is simply because it is not fair to rate such a budget hotel with the expectations of a 4 star hotel. The bad reviews before made me really think about cancelling my booking but I am totally fine since I checked in. If you wanna travel on budget or simply just don't want to waste your money you are totally fine with this place. BTW: I checked some of the more expensive hotels in Downtown during my trips and, not all, but some looked a lot worse(outside and lobby). Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes, I am German :D

8  Thank Michael S