See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Hi,
a couple of advantages: The location is quite central. Busstop and subway station are in walking distance. Union station isn't that far either. Interiors were modern, private bathroom was ok, but a little run-down. Breakfast was alright, although the selection is pretty small.

Disadvantages: -- Foremost, the rooms have no air-condition. That means you will feel like a turkey in the oven, even if the outside temperatures are mild. This building heats up in no time. Only lobby and the corridors are cooled. I absolutely recommend not to go there in summertime. --

- WiFi only in the lobby. No reception in the rooms.
- This city is loud. Sirens, busses, people and all seem to concentrate in downtown. With no other choice than leaving the window open (no air condition) the sleep quality is miserable, especially with room temperatures around 90, even at night.

- The service was pretty rude in my opinion. We and two other couples arrived 20 minutes before check-in time and were told quite brusk to sit down and wait. Well, no problem, we were early...30 minutes after check-in time they called us up and told us that the room wasn't cleaned yet. We waited another 30 minutes and asked when we could expect to be checked in. We were just tired from the transatlantic flight and not willing to argue, so we kept waiting. After another 30 minutes or so I asked more demandingly, but still friendly. She finally checked us in then. Right when we came up the cleaning team opened our door and started (!) to clean the room. So we continued to wait...The next day with different staff it was way better and more polite. Maybe I picked a bad day to go there...

Room tip: Don't go there during summer or late summer. I absolutely recommend taking a room with a private bathroom.
1  Thank PHILIPP S
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Do not visit this hotel under any circumstances in the summer or fall. Even though at night it was'nt that hot outside, mild even, the rooms were hot like an oven. No Room except the lobby has an air condition. The other hotel rooms only have a fan on the ceiling. Have fun sleeping at 90 degrees Fahrenheit plus the noise from outside - police sirens all night, literally. The WiFi is only available in the lobby. Fortunately we had a room with a bathroom so we could shower every ten minutes. I can't imagine how the other guests in the rooms without bathrooms survived. I saw them running to the sink in the kitchen all the time. The freezer there did also not work. And if that wouldn't be enough, it's also kind of expensive. But I guess you can't avoid that in Los Angeles. If you have a car you have to pay even more. The receptionist recommended a parking lot nearby that costs 40 § a day, because they don't have their own.
So for all of these reasons I highly recommend not to visit the Stay on Main.

3  Thank Felix S
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Whatever some people here say. I think it is the fairest hotel in downtown. Neighboorhood is totally save during daytime and I felt save during the night, too. Just don't stare at people and walk your way. The hotel is only 2-10 blocks away from the POIs in Downtown so everything in walking distance. I booked a room WITH shower(I would suggest that to everybody) and it is what you pay for. The accomodation was easy but not bad, the bed was ok and everything was totally clean. I had fresh towels, all brand new and totally clean. Bathroom was clean, didn't find a single hair or anything else on the floor. The staff was friendly all the time and they really try to get better. Hallways were painted for example while I was there. Why I write this review is simply because it is not fair to rate such a budget hotel with the expectations of a 4 star hotel. The bad reviews before made me really think about cancelling my booking but I am totally fine since I checked in. If you wanna travel on budget or simply just don't want to waste your money you are totally fine with this place. BTW: I checked some of the more expensive hotels in Downtown during my trips and, not all, but some looked a lot worse(outside and lobby). Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes, I am German :D

8  Thank Michael S
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We arrived on an early flight and had to wait in the lobby until 3.30pm to gain access to a room. The room was clean but very small The staff were less than friendly. Free wifi was available in the lobby and the free breakfast was good including fresh waffles. It is not a very safe location at night. I tried to walk out the front door and even though there were security out there I was approached by someone within 2 secs. It is in downtown LA but has public bus at the door. The hotel entrance is done in grand style.

Room tip: Check the room before you book if possible and be assured they do not let you in before 3pm but they will store your luggage for you.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Robyn-and-Rob
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Noisy! So very noisy. The hotel is located on Main st, which is obvious from the name - and it's terrible, since the traffic noise is so loud and never, never stops: in the morning you hear buses, which stop just under the window, in the evening - police cars, at night - garbage trucks and drunken people. And it is not possible to close the window, since there is no ventilation or airconditioner in the room - with closed window it becomes very hot and airless at once.

This one but crucial disadvantage eliminates all the advantages - clean room, good service, nice modern design. I would recommend to search hotel in other area, since anyway there is nothing interesting in LA downtown - it's ugly and not very safe.

Room tip: If you decide to stay, I advice to take room with a bathroom - and ask for the one which is away from the street.
3  Thank Jane G