“Unique property but bad smell and leaky bathroom”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
Hollywood Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 90 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Unique property but bad smell and leaky bathroom”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed in this property recently during our family holiday on the US west coast. We landed in Los Angeles, and drove to our first stop - the Hollywood B&B. Very good location, close to the Hollywood attractions. However, as soon as you enter the house a strange and strong musty smell hits you. We discovered later that the smell was (most likely) from rotten wood created by sanitary water leakage from the bathroom of the Premier Room on the higher floor. When we mentioned this to the landlady Nina, she went into an angry denial mode, and actually wanted us to move out of the house. I have never experienced such unhospitable behavior from a B&B owner, having stayed in dozens of B&B's across the world. No apology from our hosts, no offer to make up, just a strong denial and a strangely rude, almost hostile attitude on our very first night of staying in this B&B. In fact, both me and my wife tried to be as adjusting and nice to Nina, trying to make up for our comments on the smell in case it had hurt her, though we didn't see why we cannot be entitled to give honest feedback as paying guests. The rooms are otherwise good, and the breakfast is nice, but we were made to feel like unwelcome guests, just because we had commented on what we felt strongly about. In fact the smell downstairs was so strong, all 4 of us in the family spent the 2 nights in the upstairs Premier Room, despite having booked and paid for 2 rooms (the other one downstairs) for 2 nights. (Of course, no offer of refund!). We actually had booked for 4 nights (2 nights plus 2 nights, with a break in the middle to go to Grand Canyon), but Nina was very clear that she did not want us back ! So we made frantic calls to hotels in a busy summer season, and luckily got a deluxe room in a 5-star hotel in Century City at a rate CHEAPER than Hollywood B&B. So we left for Grand Canyon, and returned in 2 days to stay at the hotel. In hindsight, this was a very good decision! ! If we are paying top dollars for a B&B, the least we expect is an odorless environment and warm hospitable hosts who are willing to accept guest feedback with humility.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Sarkars
HollywoodBandB, Owner at Hollywood Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We are in our sixth year at Hollywood B&B and this is my first rebuttal to a guest's review. It was very disheartening to read, especially after this guest had told me he would never post a review about such a uniquely personal experience.

The short version is this:

The incident involved a "strong chemically odor" as this guest described it when he brought it to my attention, not musty, as is stated in the review. Only this guest and his family smelled this odor, no one else did. I, Nina, couldn't smell it and I have an extremely sensitive nose. I asked others' opinions, no one else could smell it. We had 18 guests coming and going that weekend, none of them had any odor complaints, nor have had any of the thousands of guests who have stayed at our B&B. One can't argue with the perceptions of another's nose, but not being able to determine what was problematic for this guest and his family, I was dumbfounded and very distressed. I have a somewhat overwrought sense of responsibility and take things very much to heart.

For a detailed description, please read on below. For a short-cut to what was at the root of this confounding incident, here it is: toward the end of the weekend it came to light that the temperature of the downstairs heater, which had been set to 68 degrees, had been clicked up to a temperature high enough to come on even on a warm afternoon. When a central heater comes on after a long period of non-operation (this was, after all, the middle of July), it does give off a peculiar chemically odor, which dissipates after about 15 minutes. This is a very familiar odor to me and had I smelled it, I would have known right away what it was. However, I didn't arrive on the scene until sometime after these guests had arrived. By then the smell would have dissipated. This could be a possible explanation of why these guests smelled something which no one else was able to smell.

Why was the temperature clicked up? Another mystery, perhaps, except that one of our guests was a rather adventurous 10 year old. We have added a lock box to the temperature controls of that heater.

I was wrong not to have sent an e-mail with this information to this guest at the time of realization and I apologize for that most sincerely, Nina.

The detailed version is as follows:

The reviewer and his family (4 guests total) had booked the Premier room with rollaway ($195 plus tax per night) and the Special Edition ($50 plus tax per night, this is the add-on room with single bed and without its own bath) for Friday and Saturday night, with a return to the same rooms the following Wednesday and Thursday. Both rooms are upstairs. Because of a scheduling change we upgraded these guests with the Regency room downstairs ($165 plus tax per night) at the Special Edition rate. The Regency has a queen-size bed with a rather large shower. So, this was a bonus worth more than $230 (adding in the tax). Before I realized how serious the odor complaint was, I agreed to keep their luggage during their three days' absence, although they had made no mention of such a request when the rooms were booked.

At first I was only surprised and perplexed by the questions regarding this very chemically smell and whether we had used an insecticide - we had not. Very quickly, though, I became alarmed by the adamant insistence that there was this smell downstairs, not upstairs. I was dumbfounded and at a loss of what to do, because I have a very sensitive nose and yet I couldn't smell what they were complaining about. So, I said that considering the situation and their apparent discomfort, they might not want to stay with us and I wouldn't hold them to any reservation agreement. Oh, no I was told, they would go for a walk and would be fine.

After about a couple of hours I went to the Premier room upstairs to bring them the public transportation information (they had not rented a car). The room was completely untouched. When I knocked on the Regency door downstairs, I found that the whole family had taken a nap there, where the smell was supposed to have been so bad. I was surprised about that and told them as much. I was told that they would sleep upstairs at night. I was confused and troubled by their actions. When I saw them outside later and asked how they were doing, I was told they liked sitting outside, that we had a nice garden.

I didn't sleep much that night. Our guests' comfort is paramount. I couldn't reconcile myself with this particular complaint, because I simply couldn't smell it. This was not feedback, this was a complaint and a huge issue for me.

The following morning I asked how things were. The answer was that they were "getting used to it [the smell]", not that it was gone, or that they couldn't smell it anymore, but that they were "getting used to it". That was the deciding factor for me - it was too much discomfort to live with. I said that if they wanted to stay Saturday night, they certainly could because on a weekend finding another place might not be easy, but if they did, cancellation would not be an issue. However, for their return on Wednesday it would be for the best that they stay elsewhere. Given how vociferous they had been in their complaint (including very loud voices from the Regency room that could be heard at the other end of the hallway), I thought they would gladly agree, but not so. Now this reviewer was adamant in that they needed to come back, that they were entitled to come back. It made little sense to me. We dissected the words "feedback" and "complaint" a few times and didn't come to terms. Finally, I shrugged my shoulders with "ok, fine, but for the three days you are gone, I don't want to have the responsibility of keeping your luggage." This is when the reviewer suddenly replied that if their luggage couldn't stay, then they wouldn't come back. So, next morning (Sunday) they left.

Both rooms were used, both bathrooms were used, both rooms contained luggage and belongings. The actual sleeping arrangements I'm not sure of, since there was also a rollaway in the Premier room. But, both rooms were serviced on Saturday morning, beds made, etc.

There was never a mention of "musty smell", as this guest states in his review, it was always a "chemically smell". Why that would change in the review, I don't know. There was also never a discussion or mention of any water leakage. At the time I really didn't know what it was all about. As regards a refund, having gotten a $230 plus bonus should figure in somewhere and, as I have stated, both rooms were definitely used by the family. Also, I certainly apologized, more than once, including shaking this reviewer's wife's hand when she left telling her how sorry I was for the difficulties.

I certainly struck out with these guests. We take feedback very seriously and are constantly working on improving our B&B. We clean, clean, clean all the time. There are mishaps: a handle falls off, a sink is too slow, a toilet gets plugged up, ants find their way into an opened cookie bag in a suitcase or to some dirty socks (yes, they love them), a maid forgets a cleaning rag in a room, a guest doesn't recognize an alcove for a closet though it has a luggage table and clothes rack, another guest has his own ideas as to how the cars should be parked, and another guest jokes about needing a table for the breakfast tray so she can open the door to the garden more easily.

So, we provide various sizes of ziplock plastic bags for ant safe storage, we put up a sign over the alcove in the Maverick "Welcome to Your Walk-In Closet", we put up a parking diagram on the front door, there is now a small table next to the patio door for temporary breakfast tray parking, we fix the handles and toilets and sinks.

We do not have rotten wood or lingering unpleasant odors. We go to great lengths even to minimize the hard-boiled egg smell.

We are an informal B&B. We do not have a front desk, nor a bell-hop. To allow for flexible arrival, we have a coded self-entry system which guests receive upon confirmation, as well as a map to their room. We do not demand payment before breakfast, although we do ask for it during the course of the stay.

We are not perfect, but we certainly strive to be.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Coming to the area for the first time, we had no idea where to stay. We are sure glad we chose the Hollywood Bed and Breakfast! It was easy to find and parking was included (which is hard to find elsewhere!). The entire house is so unique and each room is so different. We loved our stay so much the first time, that when we decided to come back the next year, there was no question where we were going to stay. The kitchen is huge and you are welcome to help yourself at your own leisure. It is a very welcoming and friendly environment. Also, there were a number of detailed maps that they provided to us with good restaurants, shopping districts or with must see attractions (super helpful for newcomers!). The location is great - we were able to easily walk to the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theatre and the Sunset Strip. We were only a short drive from Santa Monica and from Burbank where the Warner Bros. studios are located. Overall, this B&B is one of a kind - it's not only a must-see but a must-stay! In our experience, it's a Hollywood award winner!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laura M
Costa Mesa, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We live in "the OC" (about an hours drive away) and decided to stay overnight after attending an event at the Hollywood Bowl. It was a unique choice - lovely rooms and a fun backyard. The only thing I was surprised at was the noise from Orange Grove Avenue! The house sits on a corner and cars, motorcycles and trucks drive by just like a freeway. It's not as noticeable from inside the house, but it is from the backyard. The place is well maintained and very comfortable and overall, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cathy G
Devon
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent 2 nights here at the start of our California road trip in July. My husband and I along with our 16 year old son had the Premier room which was very spacious and beautifully decorated. The B&B was very well located and close to all the attractions that we wanted to visit. Breakfast was fresh and plentiful with unlimited coffee,tea and juice, and Nina and William were very kind and helpful. Would definately recommend this place highly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I loved this enchanting B&B in the centre of Hollywood, a short walk away from all the sites and sounds one would expect and more, like a wonderful hike up a canyon a mere two blocks away! We walked to the Sundance Theatre to take in a movie, we walked to the Theatres and Mel's Diner, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, everything we wanted to do.
The owners were wonderfully instructive, the setting and the rooms and grounds like a art gallery of mosaics and glass beads, both charming and peaceful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I were visiting LA on vacation, as part of our tour of Western USA. This being our first visit of LA, we wanted to be close to Hollywood. Looked around for a while and then found this absolute gem!

Our room was great, loved the vibe of the B&B. Also, Sunset Boulevard is close! I'd recommend this place highly!

Room Tip: I don't remember our room name, but we checked out a couple of the rooms in the hotel - size dif...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick O
Granger, Indiana
Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you want a nice place to stay right in Hollywood, this is the place. It is reasonably priced, clean and very uniquely decorated. The owners are friendly and helpful. If you like to walk, it is only 25 minutes to the heart of Hollywood or you can take the bus.

Room Tip: I stayed in the "Maverick" room. It is just big enough for 2 people. Nice room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hollywood Hotel
Hollywood Hotel
#42 of 351 in Los Angeles
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,400 reviews

Been to Hollywood Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!