“A valiant effort...but it didn't stir us like other venues with a similar focus.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Simon Wiesenthal Center
Ranked #195 of 547 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum helps visitors understand and experience discrimination.
California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My wife and I have previously visited the concentration camp sites of Auschwitz and Dachau, and I have visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. These were very moving experiences for us. We were curious what the Museum of Tolerance might present. We attended an informative 1-hour talk by a holocaust survivor, which was the highlight of our visit. We were somewhat put off by the enforced pacing of visitors in the holocaust portion of the museum: doors automatically open and close to shepherd visitors from one area to another after audiovisual presentations in each section. This section of the museum could be informative to people who are unfamiliar with the holocaust and who would be receptive to a broad-brush overview. But the presentation did not evoke in us the empathetic emotional reactions that the other memorials we have visited did, perhaps because there were no compelling visual displays that allowed for self-paced reflection.
A second section has a broader focus, emphasizing the need for tolerance. It mostly relies on displayed text, images, and a few interactive stations. It's wide-ranging focus trends toward superficial coverage...a survey rather than a spotlight. For us the latter would have been more compelling.
If you have been to the other holocaust memorial sites such as those mentioned above and/or you are already informed of the events related to the holocaust, you could probably by-pass this museum in favor of other cultural opportunities in Los Angeles. If you are curious about what happened during those horrible times, you can learn quite a bit from a visit.

Visited September 2011
6 Thank Allan W

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“An absolute must see for every generation”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

A truly moving experience for our entire party that ranged from 9 to 76. You simply must attend one of the talks from a holocaust survivor if you have the chance. We all listened intently for an hour and could have listened for another few hours. Be prepared to be moved to tears even if you are not normally. A memorable experience for all. Thank You so much.

4 Thank MrB1966
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Make reservations and then enjoy”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My visit started on a sour note as they initially turned me away for not having reservations. Seems that there were some school groups and they were full. I made reservations for some hours later and returned.
Also, the museum does not permit food, drinks, cameras and any sharp objects (all understandable) but they provide no place to put them if you bring them by mistake. Therefore, everything goes in the garbage. The guard told me that a whole group had brought Swiss army knives the day before and they all went in the trash bin. They definitely should have lockers outside the admission area. They mercifully allowed me to bring in my camera with the promise that I wouldn't photograph anything. (I didn't)
The museum is fascinating and well designed. Very informative, original and interactive. My 12-y.o. son, who is very hard to please, found it interesting and worthwhile and even agreed that it would be good to try to see the one we have here in NY.
The restaurant was a bonus for us as it is not only kosher but good food, nice choices and reasonable prices.

Visited June 2011
5 Thank chofetzchaim
Reading, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“very moving experience”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

did not start off to well as did not take my passport and a very rude security guard would not let me in to park but on entrance all ok took a guided tour with a group and was there for a very informative couple of hours with exhibits videos and a very knowing guide you have to go i dare you not to be moved

Visited November 2010
2 Thank stelai_11
Boston
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

This has something for every age, and is staffed by people who care. From learning about immigration for the younger set (an LA version of the NYC Tenement Museum tour), to being reminded about prejudice and hatred of every type for all ages, you can't go wrong at this moving yet still pleasant museum. Because we had a smaller child with us, we did not go through the part on the Holocaust; even without it, it was a worthwhile and thought-provoking experience.

1 Thank wonworld