“exhausting but fun”

Ranked #6 of 590 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Space Shuttle Endeavour on display in the California Science Center's Samuel Oschin Pavilion. Please reserve your passes online or by phone. Explore over 100 permanent interactive science exhibits spanning several galleries. Admission to permanent exhibit galleries is Free! (excludes IMAX and special paid exhibits) Visit Ecosystems -- a hands-on exhibit home to nearly 400 plant and animal species. Come discover amazing environments from the familiar to the fantastic, and find out how the physical and living worlds affect each other.
Reviewed July 28, 2011

lots of hands-on exhibits for kids and adults to enjoy, although some of the older ones are dirty, a bit worn out or just plain broken. lots of young helpful staffers around to help the kids out. the fact that it is free means that it is always packed and noisy, so parents be warned. there is a mcdonald's and taco bell on site so you can eat economically, if unheathfully.

1  Thank nikisma

Reviewed July 28, 2011

My two sons, aged 8 and 12, and I spent a wonderful summer day at the science center. I wanted to go because it was free. (parking is $10) My sons wanted to experience all the fun exhibits the center had to offer. We were all very happy.
The center has 3 floors with many hands on exhibits. When we were there, the center had an Eco-System display. Various rooms had the different types of Eco-Systems found around the world. The kids loved the rot room. A room filled with maggots, flies and other strange bugs. (all behind thick glass of course) I loved the Artic room with it's whole wall of ice.
After 3 hours looking at everything, it was time to go out and tour the grounds around the center. There is a beautiful rose garden with many benches for resting after all that walking. Local vendors do come around to sell ice cream, ect., to add to the experience.
My sons spent the next hour playing hide and go seek in the roses while I enjoyed the beauty of the day.

3  Thank dommom1
Reviewed December 18, 2010

The highlight was running around doing all the stuff, but for an extra, for $2 my kid rode the bike way up in the air, over a net, in a makeshift bike thing...hard to explain...trapeze bike...and it was not scary, but fun. There is a height restriction on it, min. 4 feet 4 inches or so... for $5 you get a photo included. It's not too long, so you just get the sense of what a flying trapeze artist does...but still a one-of-a-kind experience. Another parent asked where the climbing wall was, (gone now) so maybe this took the place of that.

1  Thank anonymousLosAngeles
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We'd visited the CSC, NHM, etc. many time before, but this was our first visit since the new Eco exhibit opened. Wow. This excellent expansion really puts the CSC ahead of other hands-on science centers.

1  Thank micchio
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My daughter (8) my wife and I were at the California Science Center to see the Mummy Expo on Sunday August 29th 2010. The Mummy expo was fenominal and after that we spent time at the Transport section, the ECO System and the Rose Garden adjoining the Science Center building. THis was a fun day for all of us and we have yet to visit the Space Museum and other Museums in the complex. I am also planing to see a movie with my family at the I Max theater situated within the Science Center premises. They only ask you for a donation and we were very generous toward such a worthy cause of keeping place as this up and running for generations and generations of kids to come.

SAG.