“One of a kind bar.”

The Edison
Ranked #213 of 9,954 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Main St.
Sacramento, California
“One of a kind bar.”
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

The Edison is a sight to see in LA by itself. An old electric plant turned bar is as good as any set on a 1930's Hollywood movie. Drinks are expensive so prepare for it. The night we went wasn't crowded which allowed us plenty of time to take in the several different areas of the bar. saw Jeremy Piven there (entourage) and he even complained about the bill. It's a must see though.

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Keller TX
“Amazing atmosphere!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went with a few friends on a Thursday night. The food and drinks were excellent, the place is wicked unique and it's fun to see all the different rooms. Then the band started, classic Motown, jazz and blues, it was fabulous!! Make sure to wear your dancing shoes.

• Visited September 2012
Camarillo, California
“Great Downtown Rendezvous”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We booked into the Edison with two other couples for dinner following a matinee show at the Ahmanson. It was a blind shot based on an internet search and it turned out to be a sensational winner. The venue is exceptionally well done with a unique decor which preserves the building's historic roots. There are many interesting nooks within which give you plenty of intimacy. The menu was most interesting and creative and the food was absolutely superb. The food prices were also very reasonable. Lastly, the service was excellent, being both personable and quick. We have definitely found a new downtown LA favorite!

• Visited July 2012
Orange, California
“Ladies and gents, get ready for a night to remember.”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've come to love this beatifully restored and appreciated historic building many times now and for different shows for that night. My favorite is the classic burlesque ;-) There's no way I can say how amazing this place is. The entrance is almost secreative because it's down a dark alley and then you start hearing some faint music and finally see a door man. I recommend it to guests coming to the hotel I work at and to friends. If you think a little strappy club dress for the ladies and some unbuttoned, rhinestoned polyester shirt is what you should wear, HA! Think again mon ami. I came here ONCE, and it only took that one time, dressed in what I thought were a nice pair of jeans and stappy heels and a sweater. I wish someone kicked me out due to my lack of appropriate attire to save me from embarrassment!
Never again! I learned my lesson! Shine your shoes guys and borrow a nice tie or wear a nice shirt and blazer. Ladies, well I don't want to have to tell you that the tube dress you wear at other clubs won't exactly fit in this joint but don't make a fool of yourself and spend the $$ for that extra yard of fabric for your dress or shoes. Don't get me wrong! I haven't found a random person in this place that isn't easy to talk to or wants to dance. Point is this place is amazing! You'll have a fantastic time no doubt about it!

• Visited April 2012
Manhattan Beach, CA
“Expensive, but neat”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a really fun place to go and grab drinks- the atmosphere is awesome and should definitely be on a Los Angeles Bucket list.

It is expensive but I would say that it's on par with other upscale bars and clubs. Drinks are $14, beers are $9, and Absinthe shots are $8. And the drinks are good. I was with a group of six and everyone really enjoyed theirs (I recommend the Edison which is a bourbon drink with pear brandy).

I've seen complaints about the staff and in general they weren't great but they certainly didn't ruin the evening. And our server was actually really nice. It took a while to get drinks but that meant we could enjoy ourselves.

Definitely dress up. They have a strict dress code and you'll be glad that you did- it's part of the fun of the evening.

I liked the crowd also, a range of ages- I didn't get the feeling that the place was "too cool" for most which some LA clubs definitely evoke.

And one last tip, we reserved a table which I recommend. That way you don't have to worry about finding a place to tip. The per person minimum at tables is $25 (on Wednesday and Thursday, $50 on weekends) but with $14 drinks, it's pretty easy to reach this.

• Visited July 2012