“Good food lousy service”

The Hummus Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hummus Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #364 of 10,305 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Seafood, Israeli
Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South San Fernando Valley
Cross street: Burbank Blvd.
Description: The first Hummus Bar and Grill Restaurant is conveniently located in Tarzana Village Shopping Center on Ventura Boulevard in Tarzana, and boasts plentiful parking. The simple unpretentious environs of the restaurant create the experience of a Tel-Aviv outing. The restaurant offers a wide range of quality salads prepared daily on the premises, and served with hot pitas baked upon request on location. The food is prepared with great care using only high quality products, and focusing on the simplicity of preparation - thus allowing affordable pricing. Hummus Bar has introduced a new concept in Los Angeles, combining high quality meats with ambiance and a concept.
Reviewed May 1, 2014

There are many hummus places in the San Fernando Valley and the Hummus Bar is one of the top 3. They have a variety of hummus dishes and their laffa bread that comes right out the oven with the warm hummus is just a perfect combination. The Romanian kabob is good and the liver with onion in wine over mash potatoes is very good. Save room for desert !
The only down side is the service. I like the food and that is why I go back to the restaurant but the service SUCKS !!!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I had a Groupon to this place and I was very excited to try it as I'm a fan of Middle Eastern food. We arrive to a somewhat empty restaurant (which was strange for 7pm!) and no one greeted us or attempted to seat us. We had to find someone to ask if we could grab one of the many empty tables. After 20 minutes, the waitress came over and asked what we wanted to drink. She then disappeared for another 20 minutes and came back with water and threw a tiny basket with a very large pita bread on top.

When she took our order, I asked for one of my sides to be the veggies. She said they didn't have veggies. So I asked if I could just do a side of tabbouleh instead. To which she bluntly replied "No!" So I mentioned that if they don't have veggies that they need to swap it out with another veggie and again, "No!" So I asked if she would please ask a manager for the switch and again, "No!" Ok.....way to make me want to come back!

So we ordered the shawarma plate, the chicken kebab and a side of tabbouleh.....which was too expensive for something that really didn't taste that good after all! The food took over 35 minutes to get to us. The shawarma was mediocre, the kebab consisted of one small skewer and was a bit dry and the sides we ended up with were french fries and mashed potatoes, which were just OK. The server hardly checked on us. We had to flag down other employees to ask for more pickles, more bread, water re-fills, etc. The check, of course, landed and was picked up promptly.

What got me the most is that our table was near the front, where the manager (maybe the owner? Overweight, blondish curly hair, dressed in black) was just standing around talking to the cooks and laughing. We were visibly upset and frustrated and not once did this woman come over or check on us. What should have been a good, quick sit-down dinner, ended up being a mediocre, expensive and rude, almost 2 hour ordeal. I will not be back and will not recommend

Reviewed February 25, 2014

If a place is packed with their 'own', it's probably worthwhile to go in. When I stepped in this place, I felt like in Israel. Everyone speaks Hebrew and I was the only Asian in the restaurant. It was packed and we had to sit at the bar, but I didn't mind since the service was prompt and friendly. I enjoyed the Pita bread & salsa so much that I was full before my entrée was served. If you love Israeli food, that's THE place to go. On top of that, I saw Omri Casspi there, so definitely worth the trip!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

My son and I had a Groupon for the Hummus Bar and Grill. We probably shouldn't have chosen to try it on a Saturday night, but we did. It was a little confusing about what you do to put your name down 'cause everyone's so busy but someone sent us inside to the cashier/hostess. She indicated that there wasn't an available table so we decided to sit at the counter/bar. The guy behind the counter was very busy with take out orders, etc. but he still kept checking in with us until we were ready. We ordered hummus with pine nuts which was velvety and really tasty. Our order took a long time due to problems with their grill so the counter guy comped some salads--tabouli, cold eggplant with yogurt and egg salad all of which were fantastic. I was too full to eat what I had ordered so I canceled it. My son ate the branzino which he said was delicious although it contained a lot of bones. (The guy who was manning the grill checked in with my son to make sure the fish was good and he too apologized for the wait.) Dessert of chocolate mousse came in a cute container with a crumbly topping with dark chocolate on the side. We ended up not using the Groupon. We will definitely be back. The food was delicious and the service was first rate.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

As an Israeli who knows his food, its really hard to find good med food in the US, the fresh veggies, condiments, ingredients.....very hard, but they sure try and come close over at the Humus Bar.....too bad I am in Reno and so far away, but when in LA...thats a must stop for me:)