“Maybe most beautiful place in LA”
Review of Venice Beach

Ranked #36 of 577 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Lively, popular and crowded beach close to Los Angeles.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I didn't expect Venice Beach to be that beautiful when I went there. It is such an relaxed area, it doesn't even seem like being part of such a large town. Friendly guys over there and a great atmosphere, full of arts and artists.

There are newer reviews for Venice Beach

Reviewed January 6, 2014

This place is like nothing you've ever seen. Very glad we went although I kept a keen eye on the people around us and made sure my wallet was still in my pocket the whole time.

Shops sell all the same rubbish and a bloke in an Egyptian shop tried hard to trap me into a sale. Lots of homeless and musicians trying hard to sell their demos.

The mixture of rollerblading, skateboarding kids, pot smoke, sun, good art, terrible art and strangely dressed people make for an interesting and enjoyable couple of hours.

The beach looks nice but not too impressive compared to most Australian beaches. I'm sure it's packed in summer.

At the end of the shops, there's a nice cream shop. Awesome and very worth it for the walk back.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I spent about half a day visiting the beach, boardwalk, and canals. The beach was fairly empty for a clear sunny September day. We walked the boardwalk which was crowded. I'm sure it would not win any awards from a health inspector. We encountered no problems, and enjoyed the people watching and the unique stores, many selling drug paraphernalia. Muscle Beach was empty (i guess it was too hot). We walked the paths and bridges of the canals which were unique and colorful. Over all, an interesting stop.
The downsides were expensive parking ($ 15) at a beach lot. We got tired of looking for street parking, which is free in places, but hard to find, and many tow away zones. The beach bathrooms were mostly locked, filthy, with long lines waiting to enter the few left open.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Well, now "I've been there, done that". Lot's of things to see and look at, but nothing outrageous as expected. As for what they sell, I haven't seen so much junk even at a flea-market.

1  Thank Norway_in_Stamford
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Wasn't too busy, the sights were beautiful, and the sand was great. The water was FREEZING! There were a few people out in the surf braving the temperatures, though. I bet it's nice and warm in summer.