“Loved it”

Ranked #35 of 554 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Lively, popular and crowded beach close to Los Angeles.
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Loved it”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I loved this place. We were there in September and it was baking hot, was really nice to walk along the beach and people watch. Yes there are hippes, drugs and it's not exactly clean, but people saying that the shops are run down are missing the point of the place. We ate at a mexican cantina place, i can't remember the name, but the tacos were amazing. Great beer too. Lots of music, random old hippes doing yoga, fun atmosphere and I can honestly say I didn't feel at all unsafe like some people are saying on here. I can see why it may not be everybody's cup of tea, but as a big Camden (London) fan I found it similar in a lot of ways. Some people don't like Camden because it has people that aren't the same as them and has lots of pubs and drugs around, but for those that know it and appreciate it, it's great. Camden vs London's West End, Venice Beach vs Hollywood. That's how I'd compare it.

If you're visiting LA as part of a road trip (like we were) I'd definitely say it's worth having a stop at Venice Beach.

Visited September 2012

• Slovak first
  • Turkish first
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Scary & unsafe on rainy days...”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

If it is raining or cloudy on the day you plan to visit, I highly suggest you change your plans and do not visit. The walkways is dirty and the shops lining it are of no real value (unless you like cheap T-shirts and drug paraphernalia). I'm sure it would feel much safer on a sunny day, as I hear it is crowded and full of tourists, but on the rainy day we visited (we were on a tour bus which had a designated stop here) there were no tourists or friendly people to be seen, only homeless and degenerate people who ask if you would like to buy illegal substances... Definitely not worth the visit.

Visited March 2012
Israel, Jerusalem
217 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 237 helpful votes
“so many differant people...”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Venice beach is a nice beach to view all kind of different people, the variety La has to offer. the walkway can be crowded on weekends but the atmosphere is part of the fun! just walk around, absorb the sun and do some people watching and eat in one of the restaurants in the area. make sure you see the outside gym with all the pump up guys that looks just like in the movies!

Visited December 2012
Winnipeg
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Dirty”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

There are rows of shops an vendors lining the walkway. They are all selling the same crappy t-shirts and stuff, There were homeless people everywhere. We walked a bit (15 minutes or so) but left because we really didn't feel safe

Visited February 2013
Denver, Colorado
118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“YIKES”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I used to love to walk along Venice Beach. It's still entertaining...for a few minutes... Being accosted by medical marijuana hawkers isn't my idea of a good time. Still good people watching.

Visited February 2013