“VIP Tour worth it”

Universal Studios Hollywood
Ranked #3 of 553 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Get ready for the ultimate Hollywood experience! Find a full day of action-packed entertainment all in one place: thrilling theme park rides and shows, a real working movie studio, and Los Angeles’ best shops, restaurants and cinemas at CityWalk. Universal Studios Hollywood is a unique experience that’s fun for the whole family. Explore Universal Studios backlot on the legendary Studio Tour. Then face the action head on in heart-pounding rides, shows and attractions that put you inside some of the world’s biggest movies. End your day with the energy and excitement of Universal CityWalk. All this and much more. Only at Universal Studios Hollywood, The Entertainment Capital of L.A.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I really love movies and we decided to indulge in the VIP tour at Universal Studios and I am so glad we did. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIP, valet parking and free breakfast before the tour. Our tour guide was awesome and very friendly. We started with the studio tour which was on a private cart (the ordinary tour has about a hundred people on each cart and it is not personalised at all). During the tour we were able to stop and get off the cart to see some stage sets (set of Parenthood) and also at the town square (back to the future and other movies) and at the destroyed plane (War of the Worlds) plus a few other places. We got to see all of the props that are used as well. Before lunch we went on the Simpson's ride (only OK). Lunch was a gourmet buffet that was so yum. After lunch we went on all of the rides, The Mummy, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park which were all great. The highlight of the day was definitely the highlight though. The only disappointment for me was that they were filming that we were not able to see the Desperate Housewives street as they were filming. But it was still an amazing day and if you love movies you should go for this.

Write a ReviewReviews (33,210)
All reviews
in 423 reviews
"roller coaster"
in 647 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I went on the VIP Universal Studios Hollywood Tour with my step father (I"m in my late teens) on the week of July 15. We went to early tour, 7:30 which I would highly recommend. We had a small group of about 7 (we were told average sizes were 10-12 but could be groups as large as 20 people). Our tour guide's name was Emma. She was fantastic, with an upbeat attitude. She answered every question we asked, accommodated everyone's needs (for instance, if someone didn't want to ride a roller coaster she worked with them around that without interfering with everyone else's time).

I voted this five stars because I had a great time at the theme park, had unlimited amount of front-line passes (where you could cut to the front of the line as many times as you pleased, on which ever ride or show you wanted to as the theme park), and had the best seating for the shows. The food breakfast and lunches were surprisingly fantastic. The lunch felt like a five course meal served as a buffet. But the best part, for me at least, was the tour around the studios, sets, and props department. It was so interesting to see what goes on behind the camera, some tricks of the trade, and real life props and/or costumes used on very famous sets. There were also some thrills along the way, like the King Kong ride. I included a picture of just one of the many sets actually used in films, in this case War of the Worlds, that were just left up for the public to view (you can see in it our tour guide Emma giving us the scoop about the set, from the random home interior parts to the history of the plane). The only draw back to this trip was the price, but if you are willing to pay for it, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Again, haven't been in Universal for over 15 years. The park is too small for what they have. Everyone literally came to a stand still at some part of the park, coming and going in the opposite direction. There is no planning of crowd control. I have said this before Disney is the best in planning and crowd control. Yes they have all the ropes off areas for the rides but in the regular walkway...... It sucks big time.
Not sure if I would bring my grand kids now.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having been here in 2011 I like to think we can make the comparison.
A few changes we observed:

1) In 2011 you had to exchange your fast pass inside the park which meant standing in line again. Now you get it immediately at the entrance, so that's an improvement!

2) The price of a Fast Pass. Universal thought it to be a good idea to rise prices during an economic difficult time by more than 20% !! I'm not sure what they are thinking but in 2011 we paid $139,99 now we paid $169,99. Of course you pay a lot when you want a fast pass but in combination with the next point this borders on robbery.

3) Nowadays you will only be allowed to use your Fast Pass once per attraction/ride. This used to be unlimited. And this is a severe downgrading. It says so when you're buying the ticket so it was no surprise but in combination with the pricehike it makes you wonder if you don't want o spend your money elsewhere.

With respect to the rides no complaints. They are still fun and they have changed some of them and added the Transformers ride.

My suggestion would be when considering to go and buy a Fast Pass: do I want to pay this much money? It allows you to skip the lines and yesterday all rides had a waiting time of 60 min or more.
So it did pay of in some way. But because you can only use them once per ride Universal is not a full day park anymore, unless you want to wait an hour or more to go a second time.

That's why you might want to start the day later, let's say about noon. This way you finish your first round with Fast Pass at a later time when the park becomes more quiet. In addition you can first have lunch somewhere else which saves you money and most likely has better quality.

So my reason or a 2 is the value or money component. The rides and attractions are still fun

One more thing: regular parking at $15 is just fine. You can upgrade but it's really not that far to walk.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Universal Studios, Hollywood and had such an incredible day.

I have fond memories of going to Disney World and Universal Studios in Orlando when I was little, so being able to come back and experience the one in Hollywood (a little older and a lot less scared of the rides!) was a brilliant experience.

It's true what you hear, the queues ARE long, especially in Summer and prepare to wait a really long time for the new Transformers ride (60 mins or so) but as long as you are willing to get there early and spend the full day there, you shouldn't see it as too much of a problem.

We jus paid for the standard general admission, but I would definitely recommend paying that little big extra for the Queue Jump passes especially if you have little kids, or are unwilling to wait it out!

Make sure you do everything - Transformers, The Mummy, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons ride etc! They're all brilliant. Also, the Studio Tour is a MUST.
Go see some of the shows as well, they're all free and worth the watch. We particularly enjoyed the Special Effects show.

Don't miss out!