“Interesting and Beautiful!”

Ranked #62 of 542 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A unique folk-art masterpiece, this 99-foot-tall group of steel towers is decorated with scrap metal, bed frames, bottles, ceramic tiles, and thousands of seashells. One of LA's famous local landmarks, the towers were created by a construction worker who toiled over them in his spare time for 30 years until their completion in 1954.
Detroit, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Interesting and Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Really enjoyed seeing these towers and the artwork surrounding them. We walked around the towers, took a few pictures, and were about to leave when we realized there was much more to see. We ended up spending another hour or so - we met one artist who told us about more artwork to check out, and while checking out that artwork, another artist told us to check out another building, and then another artist told us to take the tour...it was such a perfect day and we loved exploring and seeing all of the beautiful artwork by the different artists. Highly recommend the $7 tour, as you get a closer look at the details on the towers and hear the story of how they were made. Fascinating. Also recommend checking out the artwork in both buildings, the mosaic walls across the street, and the garden (with a turtle pond and beautiful potters and a sculpture). We loved it all and everyone was so friendly and helpful. Oh, and free parking right onsite.

Visited December 2013

• Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
394 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 227 helpful votes
“exceeded al expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were a bit apprehensive to visit this area due to concern about the location, but am glad we went ahead. First of all, the area seemed fine. Like any big city, you need to take proper precautions and the same can be said for the area around the towers. There is parking and a nice park located next to this attraction, and is very easy to get to from the interstate. I would strongly suggest paying the $7/person fee for the tour. We had Noamie as our tour guide who had been a guide there for 27 years and had lived across the street even longer so on top of the great factual information, she also offered insight into the impact of the towers on the neighborhood. I would also suggest watching the 10 minute movie before the tour because it provides some great background on the builder and makes you appreciate the work all that much more. This is a fantastic structure with great history, I highly recommend it to all.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank rduinc
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unbelievable work of Art.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Maybe it's just me and my wife but no art we've ever seen has come close to impressing us as much as Mr.Rodia's towers, not even either of the Getty museums also in LA. Although far from a connoisseur i am rather familiar enough with art to have been to some of the worlds more famous museums and art gallery's, so although my opinion is limited i have seen a bit. I find it absolutely astonishing that he was able to make these on his own. If you don't get the tour the full effect is missed as the real breathtaking site is being inside the towers and seeing the way the light comes in and the overall ambiance of the display. Highly recommended, a little thing we weren't sure about doing really did become very memorable, i would not miss out on this given the chance as these towers won't be able to stand forever.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kevin44444444
San Fernando
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing Architecture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Many have heard of the Watts Towers but have never been there. Time to visit these amazing towers built by Simon Rodia over a period of almost 35 years. Trained as a carpenter and tile setter, he made junk beautiful.

Be sure to visit the museums and beautifully manicured grounds and see the story of Simon's life.

Maintained and staffed by L. A. City Emoyees and volunteers, who gave interesting tours.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Cecile A
Columbia, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Watts Towers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a great historical landmark that I would highly recommend any one to visit. As a young child I lived at 1719 east 108th street. next to a Church. I would spend so much of my time seeing that very nice man put the tower together. I'm 68 years old now and It makes my heart feel good to have that memory. I did have a first-hand experiences. Thank you. Anna

Visited December 2012