“It was great, but bring earplugs!”

Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
$12.00*
and up
Admission: Natural History Museum of Los Angeles...
$12.00*
General Admission Ticket: La Brea Tar Pits and Museum
$72.00*
Hollywood Explorer Pass
Ranked #16 of 580 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover your world past and present. See dinosaurs in our new Dinosaur Hall, including the world’s only Tyrannosaurus rex growth series. Get the behind- the- scenes look at how scientists work on fossils at our Dino Lab. See 240 specimens, including skeletons from mastodons to whales, animal dioramas from North American and Africa, and more.Stroll through our extensive Nature Gardens, and discover true stories about plants and animals in our Nature Lab. See and touch more than 2,000 spectacular specimens displayed in our Gem and Mineral Hall, and enter into the vault to view diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and other exquisite gems. Our Butterfly and Spider Pavilions are open seasonally. Here you can wander through the changing ecosystem with over 30 species of fluttering butterflies all around you, or witness arachnids up close and personal.
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I went on a Monday, which I thought might be less highly trafficked, but guess again - hundreds of schoolkids were there on class trips. They were adorable and mostly I was fine with them being there (except one group which seemed unchaperoned)... However, one thing to know: Most of the surfaces in this museum are concrete or marble and any noise at all gets magnified greatly. Multiply that by hundreds of schoolkids, all excited to be looking at dinosaurs with their friends, and, well, I've been to quieter rock concerts. Seriously. It was just pretty distracting to be trying to focus on the material while trying to tune out the noise. Also, they should do something about the kids running - that just isn't safe and on a couple of occasions I thought I was going to witness an accident, as falling on hard marble can break bones.

On the upside, there's a lot of great fossil material and I particularly enjoyed the prehistoric paintings by Charles Knight. The Butterfly Garden was quite nice and not overcrowded or loud. Loved seeing the beautiful insects in a natural setting.

The fossil collection is very nearly as good as that at Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman - for my money the best dinosaur collection on the face of the Earth - and since I'm a paleohistory buff I was glad to see a lot of the current thinking on dinos was up to date (they are ancestors of birds, in many cases they had feathers, etc.) The curation was excellent, with explanations of where things are found.

Definitely worth a visit, the lawn outside is gorgeous, too. Very friendly staff. The gift shop was amazing, bought some super-cute jewelry I'll wear to pieces. I'll be back!

1  Thank DivemistressofthDark

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Lots of bones and history about Dinisaures that lived in the local area. We spent around 2hours here and personally didn't really think it was worth the money. We also had lunch here which was typical American food and ok.

If yo live dinosaurs then come here. Great displays. Building very nice as well.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

LOVE LOVE it here!!!

So many different exhibits to look at! Fake animals (which remind me of the zoo), birds, jungle, minerals (which I wasn't too interested in until I saw the sparkly diamonds!!), the Aztec art, dinosaurs, insects,etc. The list goes on!

They have the butterfly exhibit going on now. I missed it because it was sold out so get tickets online if you can.

1  Thank kisssmee
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This museum has a special place in my heart, since I started visiting it over 60 years ago. There are several great exhibition halls but my favorite is the recently opened Dinosaur Hall which features "Thomas the T-Rex". I am a bit biased perhaps because I am friends with the paleontologist in Montana who discovered him.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is a pleasant museum to visit. It is free on the first Tuesday of the month, except for July and August. They recently renovated their dinosaur exhibit and it truly has to be the highlight of the visit.