“Brilliant day out for the kids and good value”

Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Ranked #16 of 577 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover your world past and present. See dinosaurs in our new Dinosaur Hall, including the world’s only Tyrannosaurus rex growth series. Get the behind- the- scenes look at how scientists work on fossils at our Dino Lab. See 240 specimens, including skeletons from mastodons to whales, animal dioramas from North American and Africa, and more.Stroll through our extensive Nature Gardens, and discover true stories about plants and animals in our Nature Lab. See and touch more than 2,000 spectacular specimens displayed in our Gem and Mineral Hall, and enter into the vault to view diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and other exquisite gems. Our Butterfly and Spider Pavilions are open seasonally. Here you can wander through the changing ecosystem with over 30 species of fluttering butterflies all around you, or witness arachnids up close and personal.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Loved the interactive stories! Displays were very interesting. My kids loved to see the dinosaurs up close!

There are newer reviews for Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The museum is the largest in the western United States, and its collections include nearly 35 million specimens and artifacts and cover 4.5 billion years of history.

The place is friendly for children and adults. Most kids enjoy the Butterfly Pavilion. If you are a real "History Nerd" like me, consider looking up info on the LA Coliseum for your own curiosity and/or to share with the youngsters. As it, the Sports Arena and Science Museum (with the Space Shuttle) are on the same grounds.

Dont miss the Megamouth Shark in the tank near the Rotunda. It is easy to pass up but worth looking for... and at.

The first Friday of the month is free and they stay open late. Check website or call for info.

One could go to both the Science Center and History Museum on the same day depending on schedule, energy and attention span.

Pack a lunch to enjoy in the Rose Garden.

Pay to park in one of the lots, I dont advise parking, or even walking, anyplace in the neighborhood. It is simply not safe.

1  Thank Bentheredunthat
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Gems were great, with a gold display that is hard to describe--you have to see it!, The dioramas were beautifully done. I sat and looked at one for about 10 minutes, marvelling at the exquisite detail. The more I looked, the more I saw.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We only spent a few hours here because we had spent time at the nearby Science Center and iMax movie. I feel like we just scratched the surface. The dinosaur exhibit, which we almost missed, was fabulous. The California history exhibit in the basement was a great compliment to my daughter's 4th grade California history lessons. Loved the bird and wildlife displays. Will definitely come back when I have a full day.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have just returned from the museum and all we can say is wow. We debated between this and the Getty and I think we may have had our best day LA has to offer. The dinosaur exhibit is worth the $12 admission alone, plus we got a Jurassic park themed tour off one of the many helpful members of staff, amazing day. It was also first Friday so it was open till 10 with lots of fun extra stuff to do. Thanks NHM!