“Not What You'd Expect”

and up
Hollywood Ghost Walk
Ranked #65 of 542 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Famous Hollywood street known for its trendy shopping and the stars of famous actors imprinted on the sidewalk.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 410 helpful votes
“Not What You'd Expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Everything looks different on television and in the movies and Hollywood Boulevard is no exception. Others on this site have used the word "seedy" and I'd agree. To that I'd add "very touristy," which shouldn't be surprising. There are lots of stores selling souvenirs, restaurants, and some well-known places. If you're in Los Angeles on a one-time visit, you shouldn't miss this, but there's no reason to go back. The further you get from the Dolby (formerly Kodak) Theater, the dumpier it gets. There's lots of relatively reasonable parking in lots around Hollywood Boulevard. We went in the morning and didn't have any problems finding parking or navigating the sidewalks. By late afternoon, the area was crowded with tourists. The salesmen hawking movie star homes tours are out bright and early and are somewhat aggressive. Public restrooms are few and far between.

Visited July 2012

• Turkish first
Riverside, California
“The best Blvd in L.A”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Blvd is a great place to go any day of the week but specially on the weekend, Its very lively and theres lots to see and do. Make sure you have ample storage in your cameras and pocket change for when you take pictures with all the different dress up characters on the Blvd. I recommend catching a movie at El Capitan Theatre or even the Chinese theatre. Dont miss all of your favorite Hollywood stars along the Blvd. Growing up and going to Hollywood high school nearby, there was always something fun to do at Hollywood Blvd.

Visited November 2012
Manteca, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Glitter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Not sure .....Time Square wannabe??? Nice to see the Theater and the handprints, but the rest reminded me of a cheap version Las Vegas, Time Square....plenty of touristy shops and a mall....I think I may have expected more historic places and not an exploitatious strip....Two hours was way enough to cover the area

2 Thank SybilleW
Toronto, Canada
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Crowded and cheesy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Imagine lots and lots of people. Nice and long palm trees. Garbage in the floor. Graphites in some walls. A myriad of people in oddly looking costumes. Neon lights. Jammed traffic. Plenty of tour operators in the walkway and some stars in the floor, all in line.

More or less this is how it is Hollywood Boulevard.

I ran into a friend of mine that happened to be visiting there. He wasn't liking it to much.

I returned the later during my stay in LA because i wanted to give the place a second chance. I didn't think it was as bad when i returned and that's why i am giving it 3 stars.

I think it is very overrated.

1 Thank ExplorerFromToronto
Chicago
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Not nearly as glamorous as they make it sound!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Basically this place is a dump! Besides the stars on the side walk, its not a great place to be. There are homeless people everywhere and constant annoyance of tour guides hounding you to take their tour. The tour people will literally swear at you if you refuse their flyer. I find it extremely rude as I am saving them paper when I know I will not visit their attraction. They will follow you and hound you so be sure, if visiting, to keep your wallet in FRONT of you locked up! I had my husband take his out of his back pocket and put in my purse, zipped up.

Right around the popular area of hollywood boulevard where the stars have their hands in the ground is a so busy! There are all kinds of people dressed in various drag, costumes and will take a picture with you if you PAY! They will not tell you this up front but constantly say through their smile "we work on tips". My husband took a picture with a few gals dressed up in cop uniforms and between me taking the picture and walking away (about 30 seconds) they told us 3 times they work on tips and when we said okay and walked off they followed us! They got in our face and kept saying it. Finally I pulled out a dollar bill and they were so upset they stomped off. Be careful!

Overall I wouldn't recommend this area. If you want to see it, go during the day and just look at a few stars along the boardwalk and head out.

6 Thank macbabe08