“I like it but not the best”
Review of Daikokuya

Daikokuya
Ranked #240 of 10,239 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I ordered tsukemen but I don't really feel this is the best in LA.
結構評判が良かったので行ってみました。美味しかったし、雰囲気も面白かったけどロスで一番とは思いませんでした。たこ焼きは美味しかったです。ラーメンはパンチが無いというか。。。普通に美味しいだけでした。ただ、セットの丼とか美味しそうだったので今度行った時はそっちも頼んでみたいと思いました。

1  Thank yokosanla

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I really love this place. The tonkotsu ramen is excellent and the prices fair. You can let them know how you want your noodles cooked.

The restaurant is tiny so you usually have to wait in line a little.

We've had times where the broth was not hot enough, other times where the egg was either overcooked or cold.

1  Thank Marie B
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The only possible setback is the wait-line and the limited parking spaces.

I have no doubt that the quality of ramen is THE BEST in LA.

I liked the Shinsengui in Redondo Beach / Gardena but I could not stop driving to this place even though it took me an hour.

This was one of the few "japanese places" where I could take my Japanese friends with no disclaimer like "don't expect too much because we are in LA and not in Tokyo".

Only once, one of my Japanese friends commented that the broth needs more "punch" to it. I guess he meant the soup needs to be more thicker (more salt/spice etc) which seemed kind of true.

However, considering that we were in LA, Daikokuya should be praised with hands down!!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

From Hawaii, the term Broke the Mouth means the food is Exceptional, and this little eatery ilives up to the description. My daughter took me here because she knows I love noodles.

I am a ramen eater, and the ramen here is exceptional. You have to come hungry because the bowl of ramen is big. What i really liked a lot was that they top their ramen with lots of green onions, my favorite, and the broth is sooo good!

Even if parking is a hassle, the wait is long, i wouldn't mind going back here. The prize of eating the best ramen is sure worth the hassle.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

When you arrive you put your name on a list. This is because there is nearly always a line. Wait times vary depending on when you go but usually between ten and fourty minutes. Looking into the place you may think it's not worth it. the place looks like exactly what it is a hole in the wall noodle bar. Seating is limited hence the wait but it is so worth it. The food is great, the noodles cooked to order the broth creamy porky goodness. They also have great Miso....moving on from the soups their shredded pork is fantastic and the salad dressing is totally worth taking space away from the great soup.