“Ramen, Ramen and ONLY Ramen”
Review of Daikokuya

Daikokuya
Ranked #198 of 9,980 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ramen, Ramen and ONLY Ramen”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

First thing, there's a few nice bars on this street so be prepared to go there because most will wait, went after Clippers game and the wait was around 45mins-1hr or so.

On to the food, I'm not sure what the other attraction here but just go for the Ramen, the spicy miso ramen and it went down a treat. Slightly sad I may never find something like this in London but will search for it.

Great service, super fast and efficient. Excellent stuff.

• Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
California
“No Togo orders. Constant lines. Well worth the wait”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Bad stuff first! Line is ridiculously LONG. (Weekend was a 1.5hr wait time) parking in the area sucked $6+ anywhere you park...no just thing as free parking. Eating on at the bar bc seating was so limited that I was practically slouching as I was eating my ramen.

Good stuff time!
Waiting was alright bc we didn't have anything else to do so people watching along the sidewalk is always fun. The ramen itself was amazing...don't forget those little side garnishes...the white stuff is garlic! MmM salmon sashimi just melted my mouth. We split a ramen bowl and it was filling enough. Customer service was a 10/10! Loved them...friendly attitude...will definitely come back!

Los Angeles, California
“Delicious ramen”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I have been here about four times and always get the ramen because it is so good. I have only tried the ramen and the pork belly, both which I really like. I go when I am in the area for business. When I go with friends I will have to try other items on the menu. Te bowls are large and I always end up with leftovers. The restaurant will be packed with a wait list within 5 minutes of opening. Service is quick. I have only been to the location in little Tokyo, food is always good.

• Visited November 2013
Austin, Texas
“BEST. RAMEN. EVER”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I can't get over this broth! I recently visited a few friends in LA and they took me here. I think I'll be craving this place for the rest of my life. The ramen noodles are perfect!

• Visited September 2013
Duluth, GA
“GREAT Ramen, new Sawtelle Location!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Quick summary: (FYI, we went to the new location of Sawtelle Blvd in West LA. Much closer to get to if you're at Santa Monica or Venice and easier to access via local roads than by taking the highway, especially for dinner with that terrible LA traffic!)

The takoyaki was one of the best takoyaki that I've ever had.
PROS:
-size: bigger takoyaki balls, takes me 3 bites to finish one versus my normal two bites
- worth the price.

CONS: none.

The butadon bowl was not what I expected.
PROS:
-perfect size for snack eaters or small eaters
-lots of flavor

CONS:
-pork is too thinly sliced: the pieces of pork were sliced super thin so there isn't as much fat content as anticipated. Not like the "chasiu" style pork slices at other ramen places.
- not for someone who wants a MEAL unless you're a small eater.

The daikokuya ramen was by far the best.
PROS:
-incredibly creamy and rich broth.
- can tailor your soup to your salt desires! You can make it more salty or less salty by letting the waiter know beforehand. They will even let you cater it after you have received your bowl if you find that it is not salty or in their words, "savory", enough.
- HUGE portion! I honestly think that for light eaters, it can easily feed two, maybe three with other appetizers.
- egg was not overly seasoned and not too salty, perfectly cooked for ramen.

CONS:
- pork slice: one big fat slice, not thick (like butadon). They were incredibly generous, but it was one huge piece of thin pork belly.

Total bill for two with pretty much 75% butadon and 1/3 ramen as take home leftovers was $25!!!

Recs:
-go early or make an rsvp, place gets crowded by 630pm. We got in with only a party of 2!
- take local roads to get there or get stuck forever on the 10.
- tiny tiny place, don't bring huge purses if possible
- great service! very attentive, possibly because it was before the mad rush at 7pm. Lots of people had to wait outside because there is no inside wait area really.
- parking is non-existent unless you drive around or are willing to pay for it thru the butt.

Would definitely go again when I'm in LA! SUPER tasty!

• Visited October 2013