“Worth trying”

Daikokuya
Ranked #152 of 9,895 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Thailand
“Worth trying”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Going to Little Tokyo with hungriness, so I ended up at Daikokuya just because there were some people are waiting. When I ordered my set and try it, it's very delicious and the price was reasonable. The atmosphere was good and the staff were nice. I got a lot more than I expected.

• Visited May 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Lafayette
“Amazing, mouthwatering ramen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

This place as the atmosphere and ambiance of the kind of ramen-ya you would find under the train tracks in Tokyo, which in a odd way is charming. It would be like eating at a blue plate diner in a small town in the mid-West - no frills, just good food.

The ramen was absolutely delicious - as with other soups, like Vietnamese Pho - what makes it amazing versus just good, is the rich, delicious, perfectly balanced broth. Another outstanding feature was the style of pork slices - thin yet very, very rich and fatty (but in a good way).

It is a real bargain at $8.95 for a generous bowl and the gyoza was outstanding as well.

The not so good - at 7:45 on a Thursday we waited 35 minutes, standing on the street. There about 7 seats in tiny waiting area just inside the door but there were anywhere from 10-18 people always standing around on the sidewalk. While this may be part of the fun for a twenty something, if we hadn't of snagged a seat in the inside waiting area I would have bailed. The "sign yourself in" system isn't ideal either because the guy who calls your name has a heavy Japanese accent so you have to really pay attention whenever he comes out to call parties in.

Because we were staying across the street at the Miyako hotel, we drove and walked by several times and at peak times there were probably 22 people waiting = 1 hour+ wait.

If you are a ramen connoisseur, this is your place in LA.

• Visited March 2013
La Spezia, Italy
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Had good Ramen, had to wait a while. It was worth it! We stopped through town for a December trip and were happy we did. Right across from the Miyako hotel, which we liked.

• Visited December 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
“"Hands Down, Best Ramen")”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have had my share of ramen, and this by far is amazing. And I am not a big fan of ramen. We arrived on a Sunday at 10:40, and there were only a few people waiting. If you come later, there will be a wait. But it does turn over pretty fast. This is not a place where people will linger on. Remember to add your name on the wait list, and it's cash only.

I had the Daikoku Ramen, and my husband had the Daikoku Ramen combo with fried rice. Rice is enough to share. The huge ramen was so flavorful, and rich. It is topped with pork belly, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, a marinated egg, and lots of scallions. Outstanding! We also had the goyza. Somehow, this always goes well with ramen.

Parking tip: On the street, it'll cost $3.00/hr(max.2 hrs.
Park at the garage across the street(next to Miyako hotel) $4.00 all day
I"m not sure if this maybe just a Sunday special.

Always friendly, and quick service! Will always return.

• Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

There is only one ramen place in Little Tokyo in LA that has lines out the door each and every day--Daikokuya!

I was staying at downtown hotel for work, and drove into Little Tokyo out of curiosity and looking for a good meal. I walked all about the area, and was drawn to a crowd of people waiting to get into this restaurant. Its no reservations, name on a list. I duly put my name on the list and waited 20 minutes outside (there is a small waiting area inside with Japanese manga reading materials but I was in Southern CA so why not enjoy the evening?)

I ate at the bar. The decor and ambiance does not seem like much, but for authentic ramen, it was the place. The food was spectacular and was exactly what I was looking for: casual quality. Do not miss this place.

• Visited November 2012