“You're kidding me, right?”

Acapulco Mexican Restaurant Y Cantina
Ranked #2,805 of 10,404 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Harbor
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I love the music playing in this restaurant. At a bar or a dance hall or driving alone in my car. But perhaps the blaring music is the reason the waiter couldn't hear our orders and got everything wrong. A group of 12 of us gathered here after a hot day. The night was perfect, so we hoped to sit outside. Inside the air was blasting down around 60 degrees. The hostess warned that the wait for outside was 30 minutes, if we agreed to inside the wait was 15 minutes. We had kids -- we took the 15. After 15, they showed us to a room. It was empty. We sat down. it was freezing. The waiter pushed drinks. We complied. But we were all freezing. We looked outside --- there were at least 40 seats --- unoccupied. It was beautiful on the harbor and the weather was great. My husband went to ask the manager if we could please sit outside since it was almost empty -- or at least turn down the horrible air conditioning. For some reason known only to Acapulco Restaurant, they refused service outside. Instead turned down the air -- a bit. The music was oppressive. We ordered. My husband never got his food, neither did one of the children. We asked that they put no chile or hot spice on the fajitas, the kids can't take it. They put horrible hot spice on the fajitas. The kids didn't eat it. The service was slow, the music was blaring, the place is like a bad 80's parody. Had I been alone, or just with my own family, I would have disputed the bill. And don't think we were difficult about the bill, either, one person picked up everything. To top off the experience, next morning everyone had stomach problems. So I say -- pass. Hopefully they'll get rid of this place and put in an Olive Garden! What a shame -- a wasted location on nothing.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Get 'em in, get 'em out. Acapulco is situated on the San Pedro harbor, and caters, I suspect, mostly to cruise ship passengers and tourists. It is perfectly acceptable Mexican food, at a reasonable price. If you sit on the patio, you're right on the harbor and can watch the ships. The service is friendly in an impersonal way. Nothing at all wrong with Acapulco, but no reason to go out of your way unless you have friends in from out of town and want a safe, reliable meal.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The restaurant is easy to find and convenient if staying at Crowned Plaza Los Angeles Harbor....a few blocks downhill.
Consistent food with this chain. We liked it was directly on the harbor water.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My fiance and I were starving but wanted to find something other than the restaurant at the hotel we were staying at in San Pedro. Practically across the street we saw Acapulco. We enjoyed a great meal of Mexican food including handmade guacamole and a great Margarita for me. The ambiance is nice and the view of the harbor is a nice addition, as well. We had a great meal and a nice time. I recommend Acapulco and believe you will have a nice time, also.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place has been here for years, occuping a fabulous spot right on the water, where you can sit inside or out and watch the ships go by. You would think they would take advantage of this and bring the food up to par to match the view. Mexican food at its worst, greasy, soggy, badly prepared, barely warm and usually just inedible. It seems to have got worse since my last visit. There is just nothing good to say about any of it. On top of that the canned Mexican music is blaring continuously and with that kind of volume it gets on your nerves real fast. You may want to do a couple of shots of tequilla so you can put up with it all! The service is pretty awful, slow and spotty, it seems like nobody is trained and there is certainly nobody going out of their way to give you a good dining experience, from any angle. Can't tell a bussboy from a waiter. The frozen margaritas are the only redeeming factor here, two for one special on Monday's may help you endure the rest of the sub par offerings.
It being a bit of a tourist trap spot by the water, they seem to stay busy, but those people won't be back... take the money and run! Management should take a good look around, sit down and actually dine here now and then, that may inspire some changes that us even locals (who would love to have a reason to come here more often) would appreciate. Total waste of a potentially amazing dining spot.