“Great Mexican food...nice atmosphere!!!”
Review of Sol y Luna

Sol y Luna
Ranked #277 of 10,298 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: South San Fernando Valley
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Picked this restaurant just driving down Ventura Blvd., There were people waiting outside and my girlfriend and I were hungry. Didn't like the valet parking scene, so parked across the street at the meters. We were told the wait could be 45 minutes...however, we were seated within 15 minutes. Within minutes, we had wonderful chips and salsa. I felt the salsa was a bit on the thin side...made quite a mess!!!.

We ordered the specialty of the house, the molcajete, a sizzling volcanic deep dish bowl with melted panela cheese and served with a variety of delicacies...shrimp, beef strips, chicken and cactus strips bathed in a rich, seasoned red sauce for 2 people. We were also served rice and beans (we chose the whole black beans) and chose corn tortillas. Since we had so many chips, we tried several of the meats and had to take home a box. I think that volcanic dish was still bubbling when we were ready to leave. The red sauce was probably the best I have ever had. I also really liked the cheese....

The margarita (ordered on the rocks) was good and fairly strong...thought it might have had a bit of orange in it (which I didn't care for).

The place has colorful murals on the walls which were nice, was crowded and seemed like a fun place to go to. I'm from Northern California (Bay Area), but if I could, I would eat here once a month at least.

Service was very good also...water glasses filled, dishes taken away at the right time.
Prices were fair (under $20 per person).

Overall, very pleased. I hope to update this place to excellent on my next visit.

1  Thank Steven U

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

They often have long wait times at dinner so my family loved having a late lunch here on a Saturday with no wait. I had the best enchiladas of my life!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Sol Y Luna is a bustling place where you can go and kinda feel like you're at The place in the general area--doesn't always happen in the Valley. Berore it was this restaurant It was a hole in the wall which I never went into for twenty some years. How things can change fast! Although there is usually a wait and a crowded bar, it is fun and the food is good.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I went to this place with my wife and a co-worker. The service was fast and my water was never left unfilled and my chip bowl was always full. The staff was very wonderful and super professional. The food was slightly above average. The place is worthy a visit once a month. My biggest concern is parking sucks. I had to wait over 5 minutes for the Valet and cars were backed up so I paid $1.00 for 1 hour parking on the street. Also, they did want to seat us until we all were inside. We were parking two cars and they refused to seat us until the entire party of three arrived. I find this crazy especially if the party is "here" just parking. I understand if the party is "on the way" but we were in spitting distance. We should not be faulted for a poor valet service. They do have lunch specials under $10.00

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Yum, yum, and yum!! One of the best Mexican places in the valley. Table side guac is a plus! I personally enjoy the sangria here.