“My favorite Mexican Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sol y Luna
Ranked #313 of 9,847 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: South San Fernando Valley
Los Angeles
“My favorite Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have to watch myself carefully not to eat here too often. The restaurant gets quite busy in the evening. We like to go for an early evening meal, about 5-6 PM. The table-side guacamole is fantastic, and you may choose your own ingredients.
Their margaritas are strong, and there is a large selection of types of margaritas as well as a large selection of tequilas.
I particularly enjoy their crispy chicken tacos. They put in a lot of vegetables, so I feel as if I am eating a salad as well as a chicken taco.
Speaking of salads, their salad is fresh with a tasty cilantro dressing.
Their chicken soup is better than anything that I can make at home. It is full of large chunks of chicken as well as avocados. They serve it with fresh tortillas, and it is a meal unto itself.
I thoroughly enjoy their plantains, and save them for dessert.
I have eaten their chicken mole on one occasion. It was rich and delicious, and I would eat it every time, except that I need to watch my weight.
The restaurant is not large. It has a great bar scene where you can also order meals. It is on the noisy side, but we are usually so busy eating that being able to hear one another isn't an issue.

• Visited June 2013

Tarzana, California, United States
“Great food, great prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We found Sol Y Luna when we moved to Tarzana 2years ago. Authentic Mexican dishes. The food is always great. Service is friendly, almost home like. The wait time to get a table can be long, but it is always worth the wait. Their Chile Verde Burrito is the bomb...

Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Real great Mexican food and great tasting margaritas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Passed the restaurant many times on the Blvd and finally stopped in to eat. Now we are regulars. Real GREAT tasting Mexican food on Ventura. Everything taste fresh and delicious. My husband loves the shrimp burrito and freshly made guacamole and I love the chicken tacos. The margaritas are great tasting and not light in alcohol.
Place is always busy and loud. If looking for somewhere quiet and intimate, not really the place for you. But if you are looking for a great authentic meal at a great price this is the place to be.

• Visited July 2013
Topanga, California, United States
“Welcome to my backyard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had to post this restaurant. It is one of my 2 favorite mexican restaurants in town. This one is true authentic mexican and the people and the food are fabu. The lunch special price cannot be beat, even by hand out shacks. The owner has 3 other restaurants locally and each one is unique. You can get dishes here that you've probably never heard of in the other erzatz mex places. Forget the Acupulcos and El Torritos (except for the El Torrito Grilles) and all the rest.
Their beef is cooked perfectly, try the tacos for delightful shredded beef and the Chilli Colorado burrito mmmmmm savory chunks of beef, you might have to ask for it on the lunch special, but they will bring it to me, so why not you ? I'm making myself hungry talking about it, so I'm finishing this review and heading over there now. OH Yeah.... the decor is terrific, as good as the food. The place gets crowded at night, so go for lunch. No pampering with reservations.

• Visited June 2013
London
“Can Mexican food get any better?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have a lovely tradition when I visit my friends in Tarzana (where the restaurant is located). They pick me up from LAX and we drive to straight to Sol y Luna for dinner. I start with a Cadillac Margarita on the rocks (great!) then we have the fantastic table side service guacamole made to our liking. The avocados are always delicious; just the perfect ripeness. The Mexican food is traditional, comfort and no doubt fattening. Well worth going off the diet though!

Can't recommend this restaurant highly enough. It is ALWAYS busy.

• Visited March 2013