“Japanese Yaki tori”

Sumika

Category: Japanese
4.0 star rating
8/28/2013 1 check-in here
My kids love this place...Yaki tori...weird thing about this Japanese restaurant is they ran out of yaki musubi! How can a Japanese restaurant run out of musubi...

Oh well. People are nice, food is ok, guess I'm just not a big fan of yaki tori...

They love the chicken, hearts, pork cheek, chicken skin, tsukune, enoki roll, asparagus roll...also had the oyako donburi and the teri chicken donburi...

I think it's a little pricey, but a fun place to eat and chat.

There are newer reviews for Sumika

Reviewed January 22, 2013

order right and you will be in heaven. Pork cheeks, chicken necks, kobe, and chicken livers are awesome. You must get the grilled rice AND you must also get the rice with house made chili oil! It is not usually on the menu, but just ask for it. Just be persistent. Japanese rice done properly will make you savor every kernel. They do it correctly.

The frozen custard dessert is fun and good.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Dropped in for lunch on a recent Friday based upon so many great reviews. I was very disappointed w/their signature dish: karage. I was looking forward to the organic chicken & while it was tender (chicken thighs usually are), it was way too greasy for me. I really tried to like it but just couldn't tolerate the grease. Given their reviews, I'm assuming I caught them on a really bad "fry-day" to be punny. Most other lunch diners where having, I think, oyakodon. I might give them another try only because I'm stunned that I had such a bad 1st experience! I even told them it was my 1st visit. My order was taken quickly, delivered quickly & the check brought quickly. Other than that, I was not asked if I was enjoying my food -- which is just as well as I suppose they either knew it was subpar or that I would tell them: dame desu. There were left overs, I couldn't finish the stuff & wouldn't take it home w/me. That's a bad sign for this diner!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Really enjoy their lunch deals with great donburi selections, especially their deservedly popular Oyako-don with the smoky chicken and runny poached egg on top of rice. Dinner has many more options with perfectly grilled skewers and small plates (their karaage is out-of-this-world). Service can be a little slow when busy.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

We went to Sumika grill last night. Overall, we really enjoyed it and were able to experience both classic yakitori style skewers as well as special seasonal dishes. The one that positively surprised us most was a Uni and poached egg: there was a subtle Uni flavored jelly toped with a poached egg and some whole Uni as well. It was very tasty and fresh. Loved it. The classic skewers were very good. A special note for Chicken thighs in a soy balsamic sauce! We had the green tea ice cream with sweat bean paste for desert, very classic but one of our favorites. Only negative: not much sweat bean paste... very stingy on that one :)