“Every trip to San Francisco, I'm Drawn to the Pho....”

Pho Vi Hoa Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 90 Restaurants in Los Altos
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Every time I visit friends in San Francisco, I must visit (usually multiple times) Pho Vi Hoa in Los Altos. It is my favorite Pho stop. The broth is beautifully clear and perfectly spiced, and the ingredients you can add are all fresh and thoughtfully prepared. If you try and go for lunch, do yourself a favor and go around 11am, cause if you wait until noon, you'll wait to be seated., Also, you are expected to seat yourself but if you're alone don't go for a booth if it's close to noon or the proprietor will give you grief for taking up too many seats!!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is a pretty good Vietnamese restaurant in the area, more authentic than many others. We didn't get pho that day, although almost everyone in the restaurant was eating pho. I had the grilled pork chop and grilled shrimp rice. The shrimp was great. the pork chop was too dry. My coworkers ordered Vermecelli. We also ordered the spring rolls, which I thought was pretty good. I ordered something called three-bean drink. More like a dessert thing but it was a bit too filling. Sweet bean soup is an acquired taste, so if you didn't grow up with it, you are unlikely to enjoy it. Not worth a special trip but if you happened to be in the area and want some Vietnamese food, this is a good place to check out.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

In the past couple years, I have built a major need for Pho on a routine basis.

I found Pho Vi Hoa because it was the nearest high rated Pho lunch option for me, given the proximity to my workplace in Palo Alto.

I have not eaten at the restaurant, as I always call ahead and use take-out. My order is always ready when I arrive about 10 minutes later.

The take-out Pho is done in a great way, with wonderful segregration of ingredients for my combination once I'm ready to eat. They have a tremendous number of on menu options of various meats and other additions. Plus I believe they will let you customize as you want. I have a standard order.....Small #6

I've gotten to try Pho at several places on the peninsula.....and this restaurant is one of the best in my view.

Price point is excellent......quality is excellent....take-out service is very efficient.

They can be very busy especially later in the week. If your picking up take-out...just go right to the cash register, pay and go.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Was first introduced to Pho Vi Hoa by a coworker and now it is a place we frequent whenever in the Silicon Valley area.

It is sort of like a comfort food for jet-lagged and really exhausted business travellers like us and there is also a vegetarian version for their popular pho now.

We will also order the Vietnamese coffee (cold) to go with our pho and I must say the coffee is really 'potent' and good!

Been to quite a few Vietnamese restaurants in the States such as in Philadelphia, Texas and Los Angeles, I think this is one of the best so far.

The decor is typical and nothing fancy.. sometimes I do find it can be too dark inside.. ventilation's also kind of poor and you tend to smell of food after finishing your meal..
Apart for these, no complaints!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Late night walk in
Business trip, jet lagged and hungry.
Something tasty and easy to digest....what else..Pho.

Well it was just delicious. The atmosphere is sombre but pleasant....typical American joint....could have just as easily been a pizzeria or a Chinese restaurant- strip mall with no soul.

BUT the food is excellent. Service is prompt and the prices are great (even if you live in the US..but for a Swiss based traveler, the prices are a scream). You can tell this is a family business and this helps eliminate that lack of soul you feel when you look at the building.

Not much to say that this is the type of place I like- what matters is in the plate. Those seeking ambiance or a scene should look elsewhere. If you know and love Vietnamese food, I warmly recommend you check this place out.