“Nicest Courtyard I have ever stayed at” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Palo Alto Los Altos

Courtyard Palo Alto Los Altos
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Los Altos
Cincinnati
“Nicest Courtyard I have ever stayed at”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

This hotel was a great surprise. Close to everything and looks like it has been newly renovated. Super clean; has bar and nice business center with good computers. Staff bent over backward to be helpful.
Absolutely the best Courtyard I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
LOS ANGELES
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

Decent looking place. Nice decor, nice personnel, nice lobby. Good TV.

Using the wireless internet was like being tortured. Very slow and would cut off.

But here's the good part:

The air conditioning.

In the room.

Sounds like a truck engine.

And no, it wasn't broken.

When the thermostat kicks in the unit bangs on and roars, roars ..roars.

You will not sleep.

And then there's the refrigerator.

Every 2 hours, same story. BOOM. Starts cooling.

You will not sleep.

The walls, oh the walls.

I could actually hear the people in the next room whispering.

Yes, whispering.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

I stayed here with my whole extended family for a wedding. In the crazy chaos of a wedding, a lot can go wrong, but this hotel was really accomodating. They even had tiny sewing kits when my Aunt had a wardrobe malfunction. The front desk lady was nice even when I asked for about 5 of these kits to gather enough safety pins. The rooms felt very clean and the hotel decor was really nice. Breakfast was also a hit with everyone. The only thing is I confirmed a late checkout with the front desk but someone still knocked on my door to see if it was occupied- slightly annoying. Aside from that though, I would recommend this place to friends, especially for its comfortable atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

I was attending a three-day horse show at the Woodside Horse Park (Sand Hill Rd. and I-280) and this was a convenient location as it would be for Stanford University and shopping center. The room was attractive and on the quiet backside on the hotel--with a lackluster view out the window for those travelers for whom this is important. Up early and back late, I didn't have much time to hang out by the pool, in the courtyard or lobby. The exercise room looked well equipped, the pool decent sized. Free coffee, lemonade and popcorn were provided in the lobby. I brought breakfast and snacks with me to store in the room's small fridge so didn't have breakfast in the hotel restaurant. It's on El Camino, a busy thoroughfare that doesn't invite strolling but the area is safe. Restaurants of all sorts are nearby. I went for the casual ambience and bbq of Armadillo Willy's on the corner of San Antonio and El Camino. (Not a foodie-type choice!) My neighbors one night were noisy enough that I checked on whether they were staying for more than one night, so that tells you something about the lack of soundproofing, which seems standard in this level of hotel. I submitted the same price as a prior winning bid on Priceline and considered it a good deal. I'd certainly stay here again. Parking in the underground garage was free and plentiful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed here 3 nights while visiting family in Mountain View. Very conveniently located to Los Altos, Palo Alto/Stanford shopping center, Mountain View restaurants on Castro St. Recently renovated, this was one of the nicer Courtyards I've stayed at (Platinum Marriott member, so spent many a night in Marriott properties). Very spacious room (#323, I think, situated 2 floors above lobby area) w/2 queen beds, seating area w/chair, desk, loveseat/sofabed and a small balcony overlooking the pleasant courtyard & pool. Would stay there again. At $109 great value. Microwave & fridge in room, very comfortable beds.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

My colleague selected this hotel for a business trip as being a little cheaper than the normal business hotels we stay in. Hotel had ample parking, a nice lobby with popcorn and donut holes available free in the afternoon/ evening, and a big breakfast area with omelets cooked to order as well as all the standard cereal and fruit fare for mornings. I flew in on an early flight from the East Coast but my business meeting for that day was cancelled so I asked if I could get an early check-in, planning to get some work done in my room (using the free wi-fi). After some hassling around, the desk staff found an available room for me way at the end of a corridor, which they described as "very nice", but unfortunately it was right next to the pool. By that I mean the pool was floor level with my window and there were families with kids running around out there screaming and splashing just a few feet from my room, with all the noise coming right through the window proximious to the work desk. I didn't mind having to close the drapes so as not to see all this directly out my window a few feet away, but I did mind the noise. I considered asking them to move me but given that I would be spending the next few days mostly out of the room, decided to just take a nap instead (fortunately, I can sleep through loud noise especially when jet lagged or that would have been a problem too). I don't know how the desk clerk could think a room next to a noisy pool would be "very nice" for a business traveler and I got the impression they just stuck me where they had an empty space. The furnishings in the room were functional, but seemed to go back to the Nixon era as far as datedness.

The hotel doesn't have a restaurant or food service, except for breakfast. The breakfast was very good but a little weird in that it is not a fixed price and you have to wait to get the check at the end of your meal, so I never knew how much breakfast would cost (a different and odd amount each day) AND I had to wait around for a check at the end when I was needing to dash off to a business meeting. They need a better "charge to room" arrangement for the breakfasts. The free wi-fi is functional but very slow at times, which is not what I expected from a place in Palo Alto where everybody is glued to their computers.

Aside from all that, my room was reasonably clean and had all the amenities I expect such as ironing board, etc. The bed was comfortable and the lobby was nice, although in the evening the huge unused dark breakfast area seemed weird. No lunch or dinner service but there is a little "convenience store" in the lobby where you can buy things like sandwiches as well as candy and sundries. The breakfast omelets were especially good, compliments to the chef. Parking was ample and secure and there is a fitness center as well as a pool. Overall, I might or might not stay here again, as the value for money paid is good but I would prefer a place with more food service, faster Internet and less kiddie noise.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

Well appointed, comfortable, accommodating. Close to the center of Los Altos, Palo Alto and Mountain View. (located where all three upscale communities converge on the El Camino strip mall area).

We had a king room with a sofa. The sliding door opened to a narrow balcony (not big enough to put a chair on really) overlooking the courtyard/pool. The updated, well kept room was a bit small, but well appointed and fine for a couple. Breakfast was not included with our rate ($109), but there was always complimentary coffee/tea/lemonade, donuts and popcorn available in the lobby. Wifi connection was good and complimentary.

The desk staff in the bright, spacious lobby is professional and accommodating. They switched our room when we weren't happy with the location of the assigned one, and also extended our check out time when we asked, without a fuss. They smiled at guests in the lobby and looked attentive and ready to help. The lounge and dinning area are inviting with plenty of comfortable seating and tables. There's a large computer area with Macs and Pcs . The courtyard is very pleasant, again with plenty of seating, both poolside and away from the pool area. This hotel would be comfortable for business travelers as well as families or leisure travelers. Didn't use the exercise room, but the equipment looked current and well kept. There's also a mini kiosk at reception with snacks and sundries. An

The hotel is walking distance to Whole Foods and restaurants (strip mall variety) among other things. There is a gated underground parking garage with complimentary parking.

Really, everything was very clean and well managed.
They only things I could pick on would be the somewhat noisy AC (typical in almost every hotel) and the crazy carpet design in the stuffy hallways (the most oddly aggressive hallway carpeting design I've ever seen!). That and the Marriott style of using flat sheets instead of duvet covers with the bedding (I always wake up tangled with an exposed duvet).

For the money, one of the better bets on the El Camino Real in that area. We'll be back.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
#7 of 27 in Palo Alto
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
#8 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Courtyard Palo Alto Los Altos? Share your experiences!