“Decent, economical business hotel, but somewhat noisy”

Courtyard Palo Alto Los Altos
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Los Altos
Baltimore, MD
“Decent, economical business hotel, but somewhat noisy”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My colleague selected this hotel for a business trip as being a little cheaper than the normal business hotels we stay in. Hotel had ample parking, a nice lobby with popcorn and donut holes available free in the afternoon/ evening, and a big breakfast area with omelets cooked to order as well as all the standard cereal and fruit fare for mornings. I flew in on an early flight from the East Coast but my business meeting for that day was cancelled so I asked if I could get an early check-in, planning to get some work done in my room (using the free wi-fi). After some hassling around, the desk staff found an available room for me way at the end of a corridor, which they described as "very nice", but unfortunately it was right next to the pool. By that I mean the pool was floor level with my window and there were families with kids running around out there screaming and splashing just a few feet from my room, with all the noise coming right through the window proximious to the work desk. I didn't mind having to close the drapes so as not to see all this directly out my window a few feet away, but I did mind the noise. I considered asking them to move me but given that I would be spending the next few days mostly out of the room, decided to just take a nap instead (fortunately, I can sleep through loud noise especially when jet lagged or that would have been a problem too). I don't know how the desk clerk could think a room next to a noisy pool would be "very nice" for a business traveler and I got the impression they just stuck me where they had an empty space. The furnishings in the room were functional, but seemed to go back to the Nixon era as far as datedness.

The hotel doesn't have a restaurant or food service, except for breakfast. The breakfast was very good but a little weird in that it is not a fixed price and you have to wait to get the check at the end of your meal, so I never knew how much breakfast would cost (a different and odd amount each day) AND I had to wait around for a check at the end when I was needing to dash off to a business meeting. They need a better "charge to room" arrangement for the breakfasts. The free wi-fi is functional but very slow at times, which is not what I expected from a place in Palo Alto where everybody is glued to their computers.

Aside from all that, my room was reasonably clean and had all the amenities I expect such as ironing board, etc. The bed was comfortable and the lobby was nice, although in the evening the huge unused dark breakfast area seemed weird. No lunch or dinner service but there is a little "convenience store" in the lobby where you can buy things like sandwiches as well as candy and sundries. The breakfast omelets were especially good, compliments to the chef. Parking was ample and secure and there is a fitness center as well as a pool. Overall, I might or might not stay here again, as the value for money paid is good but I would prefer a place with more food service, faster Internet and less kiddie noise.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Seattle
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Well appointed, comfortable, accommodating. Close to the center of Los Altos, Palo Alto and Mountain View. (located where all three upscale communities converge on the El Camino strip mall area).

We had a king room with a sofa. The sliding door opened to a narrow balcony (not big enough to put a chair on really) overlooking the courtyard/pool. The updated, well kept room was a bit small, but well appointed and fine for a couple. Breakfast was not included with our rate ($109), but there was always complimentary coffee/tea/lemonade, donuts and popcorn available in the lobby. Wifi connection was good and complimentary.

The desk staff in the bright, spacious lobby is professional and accommodating. They switched our room when we weren't happy with the location of the assigned one, and also extended our check out time when we asked, without a fuss. They smiled at guests in the lobby and looked attentive and ready to help. The lounge and dinning area are inviting with plenty of comfortable seating and tables. There's a large computer area with Macs and Pcs . The courtyard is very pleasant, again with plenty of seating, both poolside and away from the pool area. This hotel would be comfortable for business travelers as well as families or leisure travelers. Didn't use the exercise room, but the equipment looked current and well kept. There's also a mini kiosk at reception with snacks and sundries. An

The hotel is walking distance to Whole Foods and restaurants (strip mall variety) among other things. There is a gated underground parking garage with complimentary parking.

Really, everything was very clean and well managed.
They only things I could pick on would be the somewhat noisy AC (typical in almost every hotel) and the crazy carpet design in the stuffy hallways (the most oddly aggressive hallway carpeting design I've ever seen!). That and the Marriott style of using flat sheets instead of duvet covers with the bedding (I always wake up tangled with an exposed duvet).

For the money, one of the better bets on the El Camino Real in that area. We'll be back.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Gatesville, Texas
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I was in group with 2 adults and 2 children. We were initially concerned about the size of the room but the refrigerator and microwave in addition to the amount of room we had was more than adequate. We were not in the room much since we spent most of our time touring the countryside and San Francisco but while we were there, felt very comfortable. We only used the pool and hot tub once but it was very clean and warm and the children loved it. We were just too busy to stay at the hotel for long periods of time! The small bar was a nice treat in the evening (quiet, professional crowd) although we didn't eat at the restaurant. The underground parking was very nice, always had a spot next to the entrance. I loved having the computers/interent available downstairs. Convenient to Stanford, downtown Palo Alto, Hwy 280 and the airport (only a 20 minute drive anywhere it seemed). Lots of restaurants and Starbucks a few blocks away including several Whole Foods and other grocers. Oh, and the maid service was really nice. Every night we were welcomed "home" by a very neat and tidy room (sometimes our clothes were folded on the bed and the stuffed animals tucked in, ready for the kids). Thanks Marriott!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed March 20, 2010

A wonderfully clean and convenient hotel. I was visiting a family member at Stanford Hospital, and found this at the last minute one night. Easy 12 min. drive door to door from Courtyard to Hospital parking lot. Rooms are simple and very clean, w/ crisp white sheets and clean white duvet.Mattress very supportive, 4 pillows each bed. Small fridge under TV is a big bonus. The bathroom was spotless and large and lovely. Highly recommend, and price for 2Q room was excellent for the area:$109. Stay here and drive 5 extra minutes S on El Camino Real, rather than spend 3 times as much at hotels closer to downtown Palo Alto, like the Westin or Sheraton.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This hotel is a typical Marriott Courtyard. It does not have room service or a restaurant but there are many in the area close by. It does serve a full breakfast so there is a chef and a kitchen for that. The food that they did serve was very good. We stayed in a suite and had a large living room and separate bedroom. Both rooms had flat screen televisions and adequate storage for clothing. I accompanied my husband and he was doing business in the area which is why we chose this hotel. We used to live in Los Altos so the location was very good for me. The decor is very basic but clean. They did laundry in a timely manner. The staff was extremely friendly which made for a nice atmosphere. The parking was underground and secure. I felt safe returning there in the evenings when alone without my husband. The view we had was of the courtyard and the pool. We did not use the gym. My friends wondered what we were doing there but it really was fine.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Long Island
Reviewed December 10, 2009

I recently stayed here for 2 nights. Hotel was clean. Parking is underneath in a garage. Hotel lobby is nice with a tiny bar. There is no restaurant for dinner - just for breakfast. Room was ok but working at the desk was a little tight. Wireless internet was terrible. Dropped my connection contstantly. I used the wired connection, but that was painfully slow. Staff wasn't too knowledgable of local restaurants.

Overall, it was a pretty good place to stay but could be improved.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
notredamemom
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I traveled to Palo Alto with husband and kids to watch the Stanford-ND game. The only good news out of that trip (as our ND lost) was the hotel! This hotel caters to the guests by providing some very nice touches -- including free coffee and treats in the lobby (24/7) a tiny but quaint bar to unwind from 5-10pm (the bartender stayed open a half hour later for us, and the manager even comped a round of drinks for everyone at the bar) Rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet -- and I am very picky about cleanliness. Only 3 miles (straight down the main road) to Stanford. If visiting Stanford, stay here!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
#10 of 27 in Palo Alto
Homewood Suites by Hilton Palo Alto
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel

Been to Courtyard Palo Alto Los Altos? Share your experiences!