“Feels like home”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Los Altos
Omaha, Nebraska
“Feels like home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night and I really liked the room decoration. It feels warm and cozy, just like home. The Lobby area felt homy too and smelt popcorn. The only downside is that the internet is a little bit slow (waited a long long time to open google map). The front dest is also friendly. Overall, I really enjoyed the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Glenwood Springs, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We've stayed at this property several times and like the location. I agree with other reviewers, get a room facing away from El Camino. I'm a light sleeper so always ask for a quiet room. We stayed there Memorial Day weekend 2012 on a Sat night and had a very pleasant experience. The shower was great, room comfortable, internet access just fine. We had a light breakfast and weren't charged the std full breakfast rate which was appreciated. It was unusually cold that weekend so we sat in the courtyard in front of the gas fireplace after dinner. My only minor complaint is the elevator runs really slowly and but other than that, I would recommend staying.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from El Camino if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a great property in a very convenient location. My only complaint is the traffic noise from El Camino so be sure to get a room facing the other direction. The Residence Inn two doors down is quiet in every room since there's an office building between the hotel and the El Camino. But the noise wasn't horrible unless you like the sliding door open (which we do). Since we were hardly in the room at all, this was not a problem for us.

We will definitely return to the Courtyard in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This Courtyard is very convenient. It is also very expensive! The people were nice - the room typical and the food for breakfast just fine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We chose this location as it was halfway between two sets of family members reachable along El Camino..much easier than trying the congested highways out there. We had a large suite at the very end of the long twisting corridor on the top floor: large living room area complete with sangria pitcher, glasses and tray, microwave, fridge, couches, chairs then a sleeping area with desk, large bed. Although there was a shelf with sink outside the bathroom, the bathroom itself was very small. Unfortunately due to commitments we didn't have time to enjoy the bar, breakfast or even the room much: checked in and left within 45 min, then returned around 9p, packed, and prepared to check out at 5a for a flight at SFO. So much to our surprise I found a movie charge of $10 on our bill. There is no night manager but the woman at the desk said we had watched a movie at 6p til 7.40p in our room. She was adamant there was no mistake even when I explained we had not been in the room so if we weren't who was there? At no point were we believed or taken seriously. I insisted on talking to a manager and was told I would have to wait until 6a when one arrived. I asked the employee to bring this up with the manager and have them contact me, and she agreed, as we had to leave to get to the airport. Before departing, I took business cards of the day and site managers with me. Three days later I had heard nothing so assumed we had been ignored by the night employee. I emailed the site manager with my concerns about the spurious charge, the possible access to our room, and the treatment by the employee. I received a prompt response they would look into it--a bit surprised as I had expected a routine $10 credit to be issued (we are gold elite members and stay frequently with Marriott--never had a problem like this before). A few days later the manager emailed again..gave me info from the computer on the room's lock activations which agreed with our statements of entering/leaving so proved no-one was in the room, then said she had called the company which maintained the movie ordering hardware to ask how this could happen. They asked her to check the online inventory of the set top boxes and their listed room locations. This was found to be at fault: the set top box number in our room was listed in the computer as being located in another guest room. When it was clear we had not ordered the movie, the manager did issue the credit for $10. It made me wonder how long had this spurious billing been going on at this hotel! Certainly kudos to the manager for following this through step-by-step as it did bring to light a problem which had undoubtedly affected other guests. I suppose in an area where you enter zipcodes at the gas pump to prove who you are, and routinely are asked to show picture ID to use a charge card, it is problematic to think we might have been taken as honest people at check-out time in the first place. Balancing the poor treatment from the night desk clerk with that of the thorough and polite manager, I averaged the two to "Average" for the hotel in general. We were kindly invited by the manager to stay at the hotel again and will probably do so on our next visit.

Room Tip: The hallways are long and twisted: if a lot of luggage or problems walking make sure you get a room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Adstock, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Convenient location, good warmed winter pool with hot tubs - surrounded by orange trees, 24/7 gym, good business lounge. Unfortunately restaurant only open for breakfast and no room service which are weak points for international travellers.

Room Tip: Staff are friendly and helpful and will change rooms on request. Ground floor south wing best for po...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Munich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Courtyards as with all Marriott products are if nothing else consistent and good. Actually this one is expensive, even for the area, and falls short in a couple of ways. But first the good stuff.

The breakfast staff are an exceptional lot. They remember returning guests and new ones are warmly welcomed. The fresh fruit is perfect, juicy and sweet. The buffet food selection is not extensive nor particularly fine. But the omellette man, Felipe, is an undiscovered master of salsa. Every day he puts out a bowl of handmade salsa, very finely chopped, piquant, with a nice, strong, slow burn. Yesterday it was tomatillo- based, today tomato- based with a nice frim but not overpowering garlic and mixture of chillies. Amazing salsa, and a very nice man who remembers what all the guests from the day before ordered.

Front desk staff - well, they could do better. My wake-up call never came, and that is a very serious service breach in my book, few could be worse. My laundry was not returned, and no one answered the phone at the front desk - although after trying to figure out what the password was and suffering through a one- minute long recorded message about how wonderful the hotel voicemail system was, I received a sort- of answer to the laundry. The message- sender however was so confused that she could not put into words what she wanted to say and left a long and rambling series of sound bites. So I had to walk down the the front desk, wait a long time, and then had to pick through the returned laundry to find my shirt as they has lost the slip connecting the rooms to the returned laundry.

The grounds were very well- maintained, and the rooms and servicing were standard Marriott (which means very good.)

All in all there are better places to stay and cheaper places to stay but as long as Felipe is putting out his incredible salsa I'll keep returning - and ask for no more wakeup calls.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side and you won;t have the road noise from El Camino Real.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
#8 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Courtyard Palo Alto Los Altos? Share your experiences!