“Great Silicon Valley Abode”

Residence Inn Palo Alto Los Altos
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Los Altos
Redmond, Washington
“Great Silicon Valley Abode”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

One of the better business hotels in the Valley. Stay here periodically when on business in Palo Alto and vicinity -- never had an issue with service or room maintenance (which is a common issue in other hotels in the area). They cost a bit more but are worth the difference -- read some of my other area reviews and you'll know that I am not always glowing about hotels.

This time I stayed on the first floor in a one-bedroom suite. The room was clean, and because the hotel is tucked behind another building on El Camino Real, the property is quiet. Especially like that parking is in a secure underground facility, where each guest has to punch in a unique code to enter with their vehicle.

Also a few good local restaurants within 2 blocks' walk, for a nice change of pace from bland business food.

1 Thank Mike_Sea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times for extended periods. I like the hotel for many reasons:
1) the area is nice and I can go jogging without fearing for my life
2) it's near the offices where I normally spend my time while in this area
3) there are a Peet's Coffee, CVS drugstore, Wal-mart, and Trader Joe's grocery all in walking distance

The downsides are that it is typically a bit pricey, the internet access is pretty slow, and it can be a little difficult to find if you haven't been there before (hint: it's tucked behind the box.com office on El Camino Real). The parking is a bit weird since the above ground lot just kind of dead-ends and turning around once you can't find parking can be a challenge. The garage is fine, especially if your room is in the building opposite the hotel's office.

My rooms have been clean and tidy, and it is always nice to have a little kitchen, especially with a grocery store so close. Don't forget the free breakfast and weeknight social hours, too.

Cork ireland
Reviewed May 2, 2012

have stayed here about 10 times over the past 2 years for business and it is a consistent experience which is what i look for when I travel.
Its very clean, has everything you need, decent gym, decent breakfast, standard of housekeeping is excellent and I always find the staff very friendly. Its not a fake friendlyness either, they genuinely seem to "give a damn"! It is also generally the same staff who have been working there for many years which is positive also.
Good location and I dont have any negatives.

Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

The grounds themselves are not bad, and the hotel is located in a nice area. This being said, we were in for a special event at the HP Pavilion. The rooms are rather small. I was barely able to get the bedroom door shut without the handle scraping the bed. The staff however, was nothing special. From the night shift, we didn't receive a single smile and it was clear they did not want to be there. They were both rude and pretentious and were not willing to help with anything. When we asked them for assistance with our boarding passes, they laughed at us and stated bluntly, "Oh, we don't do that." Then, what DO you do? This would have been a three star review, but alas the staff ruined it.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank tripper788
Virginia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Booked two rooms for the family and had upgraded both at check in. The size of one bedroom suite was a bit smaller than expected. But we had no issues with our two night stay there. Suggest to provide more daily paper. Sunday paper run out at 7:30 in the morning.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ahu98
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband usually stays at the nearby Courtyard Marriott when he's in Palo Alto for work but we selected the Residence Inn for this trip because I joined him for a full week (Tuesday-Tuesday) with our 20-lb terrier Maggie. This hotel is pet friendly which we really appreciated. Why are we qualified to give this raving review? He's a Marriott Platinum and I'm HIilton Diamond so we see a ton of hotels all over the place and we've seen our share of crapholes and 5 star resorts alike. At this place we had a great experience and the place really did begin to feel like home over the course of the week. Here's why:

- Accommodations. The room is spacious enough for two people, but as earlier posters have said, there are not king size beds here. There is a sitting area, small dining table near the kifchen area and a desk. Our sofa was nowhere near our bed. We liked the feel of it being a studio apartment with a full kitchen stocked with dishes, coffee pot, etc. (Hint: if you want more space, there are 2 bedroom suites available).

- Breakfast is FREE. If you want a bigger buffet, you'll have to pay for it at a hotel elsewhere or at a nearby cafe. You really cannot complain about it if you are not paying anything, right?? They had a variety of options from fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, juices, bread/muffins to toast, and hot options varied daily as well. I saw waffles, pancakes, sausage sandwiches, eggs, turkey bacon, etc. Lots to choose from. If you go off property there's a German cafe nearby that's known for breakfasts. Between about 7-8am it is insanely busy in the breakfast area, so be prepared for potential lines or lack of seating. It frees up fast or you can take a tray back to your room. We did not do dinner or the wine happy hour things they may have hosted, so I cannot comment there.

- Location: Right on Camino Real and just minutes from Palo Alto, Mountain View, Los Altos, Stanford, you name it. Tons of restaurants nearby, some within walking distance like Esther's (German), and Chinese restaurant on the corner that is famous and very yummy. Downtown PA is less than 10 minute drive. Downtown LA is the same. Quiet 'hoods are behind this place for walks, etc if you have free time. Walgreens across the street for basics, Whole Foods up the street for groceries.

- Amenities: We did laundry and the price is reasonable. $1.25 to wash and another $1.25 to dry a load, and they have a dispenser with detergent and softener for a $1 each. The pool and jacuzzi are outdoors. It is quiet and secluded. Even though it was only in the low 60s when we stayed, it must be heated because people were outside enjoying it. The gym is small but has everything you need; we went on a Saturday morning and nobody was there. They have a huge TV in the gym and the machines have individual TVs as well. Small space but well stocked.

- Technology: free Wi-Fi was great and the connection never failed. The business center was open door policy and right near the front desk and breakfast area. I loved that they had 2 PCs and a Mac in the business center. I'd never seen that before, but I'm sure it is more common than not in the Silicon Valley. You can print things for free, whereas some business centers at hotels charge you. Grateful they did not, because I had a lot of printing to do.

- Parking: outdoor parking is limited but the underground parking is secure and plentiful even when they were at capacity. Note that they only have a few of those luggage carts so you might have to hunt one down. I should say that's literally our only complaint about our stay... We couldn't find one when I arrived and had a ton of stuff since my husband was staying two weeks and I was staying for one and we had a lot of dog stuff, too.

- Pets are welcome: We are probably biased in our overall appreciation for this hotel because we had our dog with us and that in itself was awesome and a first for us. Dog tips: there's a 24-hour vet clinic literally next door sharing a property line (I think it is called Adobe (?) and locals love it). If you do have your pet with you they have a very short tree-lined dog walk area behind the hotel equipped with endless poop bags. We really appreciated that. There were never rogue poops on the lawn from other pet guests. I also found an off-leash dog park at Mitchell Park within 10 minutes (3 miles or so) from the hotel. Great way to meet locals and give your dog some outdoor play time.

- Staff: everyone we encountered was super professional and takes pride in their work. Some highlights for me were the front desk manager Lucy and the other female manager (I cannot remember her name but she was very friendly), the groundskeeper who takes pride in keeping the flowers and plants outdoors look amazing in that California sun, and the ladies in the kitchen. The ladies remembered me at breakfast after only one day, and asked me each day if I wanted ice with my coffee. Even when confronted with an unbelievably rude and bona fide racist guest, all of the managers and staff at the hotel exhibited utmost professionalism and friendliness.

Room Tip: Two bedroom suites are available.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank elh76
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel the past two weekends. The first time was for a family event and we returned the next weekend to be near the same relatives for a religious holiday. My sister-in-law had reserved a block of rooms for the first weekend and was quoted a price. I went on the Residence Inn website and got a better price. I hate when hotels do that to you. It's not the first time it has happened with a variety of different hotels. The first weekend one of our college age sons stayed with us. The room had a sofa bed where he slept. Unfortunately, it was not one of those Residence Inns that had any kind of division between our bed and the sofa bed. I didn't like that. If you want a king size bed, this hotel doesn't have any. I also had to ask for extra towels. Hotels rarely give you enough towels especially for three people. The breakfast spread included was fine. The second weekend we were in a different room. There was even less room in there if the sofa bed had been used so it was better that we had the larger room the first stay. There was nothing bad about the room and the price was all right. Just don't expect anything above average and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
#8 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Residence Inn Palo Alto Los Altos? Share your experiences!