“Huge pancakes, big variety”
Review of Rick's Cafe

Rick's Cafe
Ranked #13 of 87 Restaurants in Los Altos
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Tried this place last weekend and there's a pretty good variety of menu items available. My husband ordered an omelette with lots of protein and I chose the tropical pancakes with pineapple, banana, and coconut. The pancakes themselves had banana, coconut and a few macadamia nuts in the batter--YUM!--and then came topped with the pineapple and more banana and coconut. I have to say the pineapple should be eaten before pouring on the syrup because that was just not a good mixture for me, but the rest of it was delicious! I had a few bites of my husband's omelette to balance out all those carbs and it was pretty good, but the pancakes were the star of the morning.

There are newer reviews for Rick's Cafe

Reviewed January 14, 2013

First time I went I had their pancakes with walnuts, blueberries and other goodies. I made a pig of myself and couldn't eat it all. They are gigantic and delicious.
This last trip I had just the plain burger (made with good beef that has no antibiotics) which was cooked to order and it was a perfect medium rare just how I like it for a burger. I was in heaven!
They make this scrumptious "salad" with their homemade vinegar that is unique, healthy and divine. Don't miss it.
Los Altos is lucky to have this great local eatery.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had high hopes when I saw the variety on the menu but my Moutaineer Skillet with corned beef hash and eggs was soggy, not crispy like I requested. May try one more time but services was very good.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Fabulous Breakfasts. For a pescatarian the Eggs Luis Cayenne is fabulous. Like Eggs Benedict but with fresh crab iand spinnache instead of bacon.

The owner roasts his own coffee beans and each table gets there own thermos of the good stuff.

Have eaten here many times and always satisfied if not amazed.

it can get busy on weekends but the staff is professional and together with the kitchen can handle the volume.

Always a happy atmosphere.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Most breakfast places use way to much salt for me. In fact, I'm starting to ask restaurants for no extra salt.
I arrived ~11am & was immediately seated & little 'ole me got a booth all to myself! An unassuming diner, large, nothing fancy.
There was a nice, big pitcher of iced water on my table with slices of lemon in it. The menu is extensive which made for a difficult decision given my grumbling, demanding tummy. I ordered a latte which came in a huge cup & was delicious. They have a coffee roaster & I learned that they roast their own coffee beans every 2 days. Nice.
I ordered the Eggs Louie Cayenne & asked for no added salt. The eggs were perfectly poached, the crab tender, the spinach lightly cooked - so fresh & no grease! The cayenne added a nice tang to the hollandaise sauce, but it wasn't too spicy hot, just lovely. The huge side of potatoes were lightly browned & soft inside, perfectly suited to my taste: no grease, no salt, just delicious.
So small appetite me devoured the eggs, all of the spinach & I really, really tried to polish off all the potatoes too. I couldn't finish the latte & they put it in a to go cup for me.
Service was excellent, polite, cheerful & attentive in an unobtrusive way. Folks were being seated & attended to quickly & efficiently. The downside: when I return, it's likely I won't order anything else but the Eggs Louie Cayenne, I enjoyed it that much. I rolled on out of there so happy w/latte in hand, marveling at the beautiful California sunshine.