“Great stop on the way home”
Review of Cafe Quackenbush - CLOSED

Cafe Quackenbush
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Santa Barbara, California
“Great stop on the way home”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Traveling the 101 heading south, we first came across Cafe Quakenbush about a year ago, finding ourselves hungry, and stopped in for a wonderful lunch. This year, same scenario, and this time we made a beeline for it. We were not disappointed. Friendly, speedy service. We both had the special, the flank steak salad, mine with the fried egg on top. Totally fresh, totally delicious. Plenty of tender, well prepared flank steak; excellent blue cheese, the salad was well dressed with a simple vinaigrette, just the perfect amount really. Freshly made iced tea, and when I asked for a to go cup to take my remaining with me, they also offered to bring my husband another iced tea to go as well. We wish we had room for dessert...an extensive list, I believe all made in-house, and in perusing the case, they all certainly looked delicious! Whether heading north to the Bay Area, or south to LA, this is an easy stop off the 101. Highly recommend.

• Visited September 2013

Santa Maria, California
“Lives up to its rep”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After hearing about it for years, I finally got to try Café Quackenbush. I was not disappointed. The menu was interesting without being bizarre. I ordered a roast beef and blue cheese sandwich, and it was perfectly satisfying - just the right amount of everything, plus a lovely green side salad. The desserts looked excellent, and I saw several people order them. The mix of clientele was good, with all ages, business and pleasure, domestic and foreign. They offer indoor and outdoor eating, kind servers and a good restroom. What more could one want?

Naples, Florida
“A Cafe In The Middle Of Nothing!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We went to Los Alamos just to visit the cafe as a relative is a Quackenbush. The advertising says it's the reason to come to Los Alamos which is true as the town is really a one traffic light town with a post office, antiques stores and the cafe.
Having said that, the food and server was great. We had a chef salad which was served pyramid style and was delicious and fresh. We then had tea and a latte which was nothing special, but we shared a piece of chocolate cake. Talk about great cake! This was it. It was a nice sized piece and I immediately tried a forkful of the frosting. The first thought that came to my mind was it tastes just like my Mom's buttercream chocolate frosting. The cake itself was moist and you could tell it was a homemade cake and not factory made.
So, yes, the reason to go to Los Alamos, unless you're into antiques is Cafe Quackenbush.

Santa Monica, California
“Excellent Food!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We found this place by accident. We were searching for Santa Maria style BBQ for lunch, only to discovered most of the places don't opened until dinner time. Traveling with two hungry kids, we didn't know what to expect when we saw the town of Los Alamos. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised! What a charming place this turned out to be! The food was delicious. There's a gallery inside the restaurant. We actually purchased a painting from here.

Buellton, California
“Times change....”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

First ate here a couple of years ago and it was good. Not exceptional but the service was good, the atmosphere was cool being in a café/art gallery. The Gallery remains as does most of the art...the art doesn't change very often. The food seems less inspired, more mundane. I am an adventurous eater so if there is something that looks interesting and I haven't tried it I will. Not much inspired on the three Sunday visits we have taken this spring & summer. The "fall down" spot has been the service. It appears there are either too few servers on Sunday or the servers are otherwise occupied. In any event we will try once more on a different day at a different time just to be fair....to be continued.

• Visited July 2013