“Clean rooms, but cost cutting on the extras”

Residence Inn Cypress Los Alamitos
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Los Alamitos
Denver, Colorado
“Clean rooms, but cost cutting on the extras”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here for 15 days in August. The service was great. The rooms were clean and spacious. The hotel layout was nice and the central courtyard and pool area was a pleasant place to relax. Housekeeping did a fantastic job. My room was always clean and fresh when I returned from work each evening.
My one complaint would be with the very low quality of the food in the hotel. They advertise a daily breakfast buffet and a manager's reception Mon-Wed evening. While the service at both events was friendly and efficient, you could tell the food quality was really cheap. I feel kind of funny complaining about the quality of free food (you get what you pay for I guess...), but the powdery-tasting eggs and wonderbread hot-dog buns left a cheap aftertaste to an otherwise high-quality stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sean R
Lisa L, General Manager at Residence Inn Cypress Los Alamitos, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff service. My team is delighted that you enjoyed your extended stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the complimentary breakfast and social hour. The hotel does utilize Pappetti's Liquid Eggs for the scrambled eggs and Hilltop Hearth for the Hot Dog Buns per the Marriott standard for food and beverage supplies. We do serve a variety of meals for the social hour and are testing new items that will appeal to our guests. We appreciate your business are always interested in ideas for improvement. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Shelby Township, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here over the last weekend and it was a very nice stay. After viewing some of the negative reviews we were a little skeptical, however this Residence Inn was absolutely fantastic. The room was beautiful, very large in size for a queen studio. The free internet and wireless worked well. The breakfasts were amazing with great choices and the food extremely fresh and never ran low. Fresh fruit was plentiful and the coffee always fresh. The staff was great and very professional and personable. We would highly recommend this RI and liked that it was in a quiet and safe location. We would return in a heartbeat and most likely will. We traveled to Huntington Beach and Anaheim (Honda Center) during our stay without a problem and each request was handled by staff quickly from extra towels to turning on the juice early one morning. Love this place. Kudos to the staff and management.

Room Tip: We'd suggest a top floor near the main building. We had an end room also and it was very large...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarrieMI2013
Thank you for your high praise for the hotel! It is our mission that every guest enjoy every day, every stay. It is great to hear that we have succeeded. We look forward to your return!
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We are lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier members and fans of Marriott properties and the Residence Inn concept. It is very rare that we are dissatisfied with a RI but were totally disappointed by this stay. We felt as though we were distrusted during our entire visit which we ended up cutting short. The feeling begins at check in when you must provide a copy of your driver's license .We were informed that it is a local ordinance but it made me uneasy.We never had to provide this level of personal information to a hotel since they have our entire profile on file. During the evening social I requested a little milk for my coffee instead of cream and was told by the hostess that I needed to make the request at the front desk. I thought this was odd but made my request at the desk only to be told that I would be charged 50 cents for milk. I was told this is because too many people take milk. I never had this request answered in this manner. I am not a wine expert and do not expect fine wines to be served during the social hour but the wine here is served in an unlabeled carafe and was terrible. Many people in the area were talking and laughing about how bad the wine was. Most RIs serve low cost but drinkable drinkable wine such as Woodbridge. During our 3 night stay the social hour did not serve any type of dessert like cookies or brownies that we always find. During breakfast they did not have the usual waffle toppings. When I asked if they had chocolate chips or nuts they told me that they didn't have them because people take them. They do not supply trays to carry snacks to your room because "people take them" . Pool towels are not out by the pool but must be signed out at the front desk because you guessed it "people take them". It was also strange that the room was not equipped with a spare roll of toilet paper. When the roll was low I looked around the bathroom for an extra one but then had to ask housekeeping for it. I realize that theft is an issue for hotels but I have never encountered this level of distrust at any hotel. My other concern was the brown streak on the wall near the toilet that remained during our visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JAR59
Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Cypress Los Alamitos, and for your longtime loyalty to Marriott hotels. I regret to hear that you had an unfortunate experience. As a member of the Cypress business community, we are required to follow the laws of the city. One of those laws, is Cypress Municipal Code 3.17.130 which states that "inn keepers are required to obtain a copy of state issued identification from each registered guest." I understand why this could have made you feel uneasy, but please rest assured that we were simply trying to abide by the laws of the city. Our intention was never to make you feel distrusted. Thank you for your comments regarding the supplies of the hotel. In each suite, there should always be an extra roll of toilet paper and an extra box of tissues under the sink. I apologize that these were missing when you needed them. The hotel does offer complimentary breakfast each day as well as the social hour Monday - Wednesday. We have many options available and rotate those options on a seasonal and weekly basis. Milk should be available at both events without a fee. I apologize that you were charged for this. We do have a few security protocals in place to ensure that each guest has everything they need to enjoy their stay, and that those items remain available for future guests. We have taken your comments to heart. They will help us to reenergize our team to ensure that we do not carry out procedures in a way that makes our guests feel distrusted. Please contact me directly at (714) 761-5700 if you would like to discuss any part of your experience in more detail. Thank you again for your loyalty to Marriott hotels.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night as an alternate to my usual hotel in the area. Pretty good experience and I would probably stay again. Lobby staff was welcoming. Very disappointing breakfast could seriously be better - I will skip it next time. Room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank EduardTravels
Lisa L, General Manager at Residence Inn Cypress Los Alamitos, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments regarding our wonderful staff. I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about what offerings you would like to see at our complimentary daily hot breakfast buffet. We currently offer daily scrambled eggs, breakfast potatos, sausage or turkey canadian bacon, make your own waffles, hot and cold cereal, yogurt parfaits, breakfast breads such as wheat bread, bagels and english muffins and fresh fruit. In addition, we rotate items such as breakfast burritos, egg and sausage sandwiches, french toast and pancakes. Please contact me directly at (714) 484-5700 to advise me of other options.
Gardena, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

While our residence was being fumigated for termites, my husband and I, along with our 2 cats, stayed for four nights at this location. We really enjoyed our stay for the most part. It was a nice sized mini-suite and a good price. It was nice that for a small fee, we were able to stay with our cats instead of needing to board them.

We loved having the complimentary breakfast that was included. Both of have traveled for business before and we were both very happy with the freshness and variety of food choices that there were each morning.

The only thing that was lacking was the bed. It was slightly small to us, but we are used to a California King sized bed. This was okay, but not particularly comfortable. Other than that, everything was great.

We are looking forward to the next time we will be able to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lori_Rieder
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us (and your cats too!) Unfortunately, we do not offer king size beds at this time. Most of the suites, while twice the size of a normal hotel room, simply do not offer the square footage required for a king sized bed. We are looking into upgrading to king beds in our corner rooms during our next renovation.
Thank you for the feedback!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

For our 2013 family vacation we spent six nights in Southern California and stayed at the Residence Inn on Katella.

Our itinerary for this trip had us all over the place with stops to the north in Santa Monica and Downtown LA. A visit to Disney which is a short 10 minute drive from the hotel. And finally a trip south to Legoland which is almost in San Diego. Because of our busy schedule we went with a hotel fairly centrally located to all our stops but still close to Disney as we knew the Disney days would be long so we wanted to keep the travel time down to a minimum on those days. The area around the hotel seemed pretty nice with a number of good restaurants. It does get a little sketchy closer to Disney but this location was far enough away.

We have become loyal Residence Inn guests over the years as the extra space you get with the suites is a must as we travel with two young kids and at times a mother in law. This hotel like the others we've stayed in provided the ample amount of space required as we went with the two bedroom suite.

As for the room itself the beds were very comfortable and while things such as the carpet and cabinets appear to be pretty dated everything was clean and in proper working order.

The staff was great. We are pretty low maintenance guests but when we did ask for something the staff was there to help. At check in we asked for a pack and play crib and the staff was at our door with it before we could even unpack the rental car.

The free breakfast was good and always a nice perk. Comparable to all other Residence Inns.

The only issues we had were minor. They did close down the pool and spa the last few days we were there for some much needed resurfacing. It wasn't a big deal as it was actually a little too cold and we were too busy to swim. My other issue was the latch on the door that provides additional security was really low. I wasn't worried about anyone getting in but more worried about my kids getting out. These latches are usually a lot higher but in this room even the 3 year old had no problem reaching it and thus unlocking the latch.

Overall a nice hotel. Very comfortable and it served its purpose well. If you are planning a stop at Disney but don't want to stay at the resort this is a nice alternative.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Rod_Houston
Thank you for your loyalty to Residence Inn. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage or our great location to visit many of the areas that Southern California has to offer. We did close the pool for a few days for maintenance before the summer months and have completely resurfaced the spa. Thank you for your comment regarding the door latch height. I will review that with my maintenance staff.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My dad was celebrating his 80th birthday so we came all the way from Florida. The Check in went smooth and the young lady was very helpful and pleasant. The breakfast was awesome and room was very clean and our housekeeper was great. The only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was when my sister came in the next day and the front desk host Kelly was rude. Maybe she was having a bad day but she was not very professional. So instead of a 4 or even a 5 i rated this hotel a 3.

Room Tip: The room in 301 had a very noise ac unit but I can sleep thru alot.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments about the Residence Inn Cypress from your visit. We enjoy helping our guests celebrate big occasions. I am very sorry to hear your comments regarding the front desk associate. As a Marriott hotel, we conduct extensive service training with each associate to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay in every way. It sounds like this standard was not met in this situation and I apologize. Training is an on-going process and we will continue to work with our associates to make sure our service is "top notch" every time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Alamitos
Hampton Inn Los Angeles / Orange County / Cypress
Ayres Hotel Seal Beach
Ayres Hotel Seal Beach
#2 of 3 in Seal Beach

Been to Residence Inn Cypress Los Alamitos? Share your experiences!