“"High Marks for the High Hand Conservatory"”

High-Hand Conservatory
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Loomis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had never heard of this place before and have never even been to Loomis but this was a real treat. First of all, the grounds were beautiful and the restaurant is right in the middle of this beautifully landscaped oasis. My co-workers & I went here for lunch/brunch and were quite taken by the beauty of this place. The restaurant looks like a greenhouse and you can dine inside or outside...we chose inside. The menu is pretty simple so I started off with a Mimosa and let me tell you...they were not stingy with the champagne. It was good!!! I'm not much of a breakfast person so I ordered the Tri-Tip Sandwich with a side of their home-made potato chips & their Lemon Artichoke Dip. My sandwich was just so-so (my first bite was fatty) but edible. The artichoke dip was delicious as were the chips. For dessert, I chose the Blackberry Lemon Cobbler w/ice cream and that was lip smacking delicious and the highlight of my meal. Afterwards we walked around the grounds that were so beautiful. There's a Koi pond and you can feed the fish, a little bakery , various plants & vegetation to admire and even purchase. There are also a number of little shops to browse through with very unique gifts. All in all, I'm glad I went and I would defnitely go there again but would probably select a different entree. It's a great place for breakfast people. Nice service too.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This place is great for lunch. We have been twice and the food is very good. I recommend getting there on the early side. It gets very busy. They do take reservations. Also, spend some time afterwards looking thru the nursery and the attached businesses.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Reservations recommended. This restaurant appears to be always crowded. The service is great. The food is prepared well. It's not the best food I have eaten, but it's good. Didn't try their potato chips but they looked really delicious. Different types of sandwiches, salads, soups, and fresh picked vegetables and herbs from their outdoor garden. It's a lovely place to just walk around and view all their plants and trees. I noticed a large tour group that came by, so I assume that they give tours also. The place can be a bit noisy, and being it is not enclosed, a few flies can appear. Many ladies groups attending as well as birthday groups. This is a place to go for special occasions. The price is a bit pricy, but worth the experience.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I hesitate to even review this place because it is so special, and so busy, that I get concerned that we won't even be able to get seated one of these days. There is always a wait. Reservations are recommended. This restaurant isn't a "cafe" although that's the name out front. It is called High Hand Conservatory for good reason. It is a huge glass building filled with beautiful plants and the tables are in between. It is in the middle of one of the most beautiful nursery's in the area, and if you come, be prepared to spend some time wandering among their beautiful gardens. The food is excellent and the deserts are to die for. I recently went with three friends to celebrate a birthday and we had a wonderful time. They serve hand made potato chips with an artichoke lemon dip that is really yummy. They have a variety of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and pizza for lunch, and of course, great deserts. The four of us bought two to share and couldn't make it through both of them.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We celebrated my father’s birthday for the second time at High Hand on August 26, 2012. It was such a memorable experience two years ago, that I wanted to re-create the experience. The food is excellent, especially when accompanied by a bottle of champagne. Out of 5 people, 3 in our party ordered eggs benedict, one had salmon and I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich with sliced apple and brie cheese, accompanied by red potato salad. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. I’ve probably eaten in over 100 restaurants since I was at High Hand two years ago, but when I knew I would be traveling from Los Angeles to the Roseville area, I quickly made a reservation at this establishment because I so thoroughly enjoyed my first visit.
I can’t remember when I’ve ever eaten at such a unique place, in a greenhouse, no less. The beautiful flowers, meandering gardens and koi pond lend themselves to a peaceful and picturesque experience. After your meal, walk among the flowers, browse through the stores and perhaps due some wine tasting.
If you live in the area or will be visiting, I recommend placing High Hand at the top of your list.